how do I save this ?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: how do I save this ?

Postby Len » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 am

Thanks for the info 73astregt but now that I am where I am the cost of the part out east to get it here would probably be the same cost for the supplies for the mold and money is a little tight right now with my daily driver complaining.
Thanks sunbird in the pic is not mine but belongs to Shannon.
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Len » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:02 am

Sorry people I know a lot have been looking in on this . Haven' t done much on the car since I painted the panel lost of excuses . But the main reason is a proper place to do work and leave it. So we have started the process of clearing as space for a work shop to be built and that will tie up more money for a while so the Sunbird will have to sit on the back burner for a bit.
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 pm

hmm , whats more important , a shop ? or the sunbird ?

tough call , but me id say shop

lol
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby AusRs » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 pm

hey you have devoted a lot of time to this ,cleaning space in the workshop IS important as it is better to have a clean workspace to mess up with fibreglass :D
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Len » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:06 am

There also the other three considerations that I have to deal with where I am the fist being darkness by 8:30pm today in and in a couple of weeks 7 and in a couple more 6:00 pm ect . Then the rain and later the snow. I know the people that live out this way know what I am saying. So I had to choose. Yea the couple of hundred to buy the supplies for the mold aint going to break the bank, but will make make the difference between having 220 volts and 110 in the shop will make a difference in the end. I have had a good time so far on the one, But having a place to work on it in the dark ect and not having to load up and move everything to be sure that it will be there tomorrow when I want to use it will be nice. Just close and lock the doors will be nice. Here's a couple of pics of the area
Library - 08.jpg
Library - 09.jpg
Yea that is a 20x12 ft portable in the back ground it houses the firewood to heat the house.
Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 am

it would be great to have that much land to play on , as much as i love the big city , being in a area with alot more elbow room would be sweet

72 SS PNL

Postby AusRs » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:01 am

make the workspace ,you will have way more fun in it than working outside ,cold dark nights are no fun at the best of times ,you will need a shed of some description to paint a car in anyway ,will keep checking in with you and wont forget ,this also gives you time to work out just how many cuts you are going to have to make to get the mold off
do some research on fibreglassing in the meantime ...coming up for summer here ,time to get the jeski out and have some fun :)
AusRs

Postby Len » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 am

Not sure if I should post this here but it sorta has to do with the tail panel of the sunbird and thought i would share. there was a couple of weeds in the way of the new shop so we had to pull them here's a couple of pics.
Library - 12.jpg
Library - 13.jpg

Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby 72 SS PNL » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm

that might make some firewood for winter time , lol

72 SS PNL

Postby AusRs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:21 am

you need to weed your place a little more often !!!!!!!!!do not let them get that tall again
AusRs

Postby Len » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:13 am

Hey whats a jeski ??? give us a pic . Well at his rate you you anly have to weed about once every thirty years or so lol lol .
Yea the wood will make lots of heat if it dont sell for lumber. I live i an area that is full of firewood and lumber wood predominately ceder, alder, maple some birch . The alder is really the weed tree and that is usually fire wood as it grows so fast compared to the others bust some say it is good smoking wood for meat ect . I'll be lucky to get sticks in the ground before next month but don't worry the bird has a place to be in one of the cover alls along with the spider .
Does any one have time to go and look at the formula out the Seattle way might be interested .
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby AusRs » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:40 am

sorry
jeski ===jetski ~~!
AusRs

Postby superspirit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:44 pm

Len, I do have experience with fiberglass molds as I once worked in a factory that made fiberglaas oil field tanks.
my suggestion is this, after laying the glass to product you are making a mold from wait a few minutes untill the fiberglass is soft set
then figure where your mold needs to seperate take a razor knife and lightly cut the fiberglass at those points, taping back to gether as needed
that will be very easy on soft set fiberglass, then let the fiberglass cure. now before removing take a couple of pieces of angle iron
with holes drilled in them and bolted together, fiberglass them to the mold centered over the cut lines you made earlier in the process,
let them cure, then remove the bolts and remove the mold. you will then have a mold that will bolt back to gether with no shrinkage
and any parts made from it will have a small parting line to sand off once the part is cured and removed the line should be no thicker
than the razor blade you used to cut the mold with. if it doesn't fill with wax in prep. hope this helps and I hope you understand what
I'm trying to explain if you have any questions ask and I will try to explain it better, if this is done properly it will be easy to use this
mold over and over making very consistent quality parts.

Joe
ase master auto tech 20 years
2001 shadow spirit 1100
96 blazer 4x4 daily driver
75 monza 2+2 in progress
superspirit

Postby AusRs » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:42 am

I like the method you put forward for the joins ,i was hoping someone would have a better idea than i had :)
simple as well
AusRs

Postby formula sunbird » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 pm

I my names John im new on this site and im building a race car and its been a pain in the ass trying to hunt one of these things down man i would really appreciate if you can help me locate one. I went to a couple junk yards and no one has any thing i owned a 1980 pontica sunbird formula and that car was a parts car and there was nothing left on were that filler panel was suposed to be.
formula sunbird

PreviousNext

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair