how do I save this ?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: how do I save this ?

Postby Len » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:26 am

Ok An Up date. I never did put a bumper on after it went yellow . I did park it under a coverall building with the tail pointing to the sun . It did shrink and does so some of the work I have done that I could not see when I parked it in the fall I never did take pics of it with a bumper after it was painted. So thanks to Shannon who broght me 2 bumpers to chose from . I put the best one on and here the pics .
Library - 240.jpg
Library - 241.jpg
Library - 243.jpg
I am thinking that I will run it this way for the summer to see if the work i have done holds up as a back up car . Have yet to put sticks in the ground for the shop or touched the motor on the ranger unemployment sucks. But on the bright side have enough parts to keep the wives blazer going and an H body for a couple of years .
Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzajer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 am

Len, I have been following your "savior" and I must say...VERY NICE JOB!!! :th: It looks very good...at least from the 10ft pics. :lol:

There always seems to be somethin' you missed, but can't see it until it is finish painted. Anyway, I say great job and you are on your way to being a great body man. :D

On a different note: this pic can't be recent, right? I mean it is winter up there, right? :shock: No, I don't mean to imply you live in an igloo or anything just thought we would see snow.

Keep up the great work.

cheers jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:38 pm

looks so far
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Len » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 am

Thanks for the compliments. Altho there are some Canadians who live in Igloo's I am fortunate enough not to be one . I am located about 1/2 hr from the US border and an 1 1/2 hrs from the Pacific ocean. We do see snow here off and on but the longest it has stayed is about 4 week . We see a lot of rain here and just above freezing temps and usually when it does snow it's a dump.
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby AusRs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50 pm

how are the repairs going ?
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Len » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 am

Hi Steve , Have not done anything since putting the bumper on or bar other than start it and come to terms with having to stip a silver Spider for the 4 speed Have it out and siting on a cart but the silver spider has to go to the crusher so I have been spend my free time on removing all the good stuff. I have posted pics of it in the general section under the the title need a shell and havent been able to do much more on it other than pull the dash. next step is is drop the ft on the ground and remove the tank and the complete rear axle assembly as a unit< shocks , track and sway bar . tourque arm and drive shaft. the rear gear is 229 or 8s according the the marking on the axle tube .
. Thanks for asking I have not forgot about it.
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby Len » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Ok so I drove it of and on in the summer and here is the damage that showed up. Guess I have some more work to do .
Would really love some better pics to go from like a side shot lookng down the bumper and a overhead shot looking down at the bumper.
Any how here are the pics of the problems that showed up !!
Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Damn Len, all that hard work you did went down the tubes. :( I think someone needs to make a fiberglass or steel remake of that panel. :idea: :idea: :idea:

I bet that guy making the sheetmetal Monza frontend could do it!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31840

Doug in Az 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Len » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:47 am

I dont know about down the tubes Doug !!!!!! . It held together . Was expecting worse , you know pieces falling off ect , but not the case just some cracks and flaws probably from my lack of experience in body work. But is still all there and fixable and more solid then I started with . And probably a good testament to the product I used . Just a lack of experience on my part.
Yup I can do it again sand cut fill and it will probably take just as long as the first try, As it was not perfect and I knew that when I put the paint on it and was expecting a total failure .
Tom has posted in the garage some pics of his almost solid panel for viewing to help with the second attempt . And If I think I got it right perhaps I will have to learn the art of mold making and glass work . Dam another straight up curve or perhaps there is some one out my way that knows how to do this ???? And is willing !!!! No doubt if some one can make it in steel that would be awesome. But there are a lot more angles and curves in this part than meets the eye .
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby Len » Tue May 24, 2011 1:42 am

Just an up date I havent givin up just been to busy and saw no need to post the pogress as it is the same as before !!!!
but here were it is as of today
Library - 612.jpg
Library - 613.jpg

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby Len » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 am

Sorry people been a while but between the rain and vampire bugs this year it has been a slow go to re repair this but I do think I am readty to apply some paint to see where I need more work.
Len
Library - 712.jpg
Library - 713.jpg
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby monza75tc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 am

Len,

Looks like you are using regular bondo, you should try the flexible bumper stuff, it will work like bondo, smooth but not crack. It will flex a little. should be beter than bondo on that peice. Just my 2 cents.

Dick
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby Len » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks Dick,
And you are right on the regular bondo on plastic or on rubber . It dries hard and has no flex.
The main problem on this part is that the original piece is falling part . So the guts are causing the problem. I am using a rubber repair product . ( Dominion Steels) From square one on this on the inside and out. But am left to assume the core is so fare gone that is is in the self destruction mode and there is no stopping it .
If you look at the first posts I made you will see .
So I am left with that after I do get paint on It and the part is reasonable , I will have to make a mold or drive it again and give up , many hrs spent on this.
But thanks for the thought
OH yea this is my first body work experience , so if you have any ideas please share.

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby gregw98 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 pm

I have made some 'quicky' molds when I was in a hurry. This was done by covering the original piece with tin foil and laying down about 4 or 5 layers of fiberglass over the 'plug' (original piece), one layer at a time. Sand between layers with a 60 grit or so to slightly roughen up the surface. Put on the next layer and repeat sanding and layers until you get about a 1/4 build up on the mold. Mind you, this will take most of the weekend. Once you have you final layer down, wait until overnight to remove the piece from the car along with the mold. Remove the original any way you can. Now you can sand out the tin foil with a 100 grit. You don't need to spend too much time prepping the mold. i I now wax the mold as a safety backup and then lay tin foil into the mold pressing it down and getting it contoured into corners and tight areas. DO NOT PUNCTURE THE TIN FOIL if you can help it. Mix up some resin and brush it onto the tin foil and let it dry. This makes a protective barrier between the actual fiberglassing and the mold. Next, after dry, lay up a layer of f/g in the mold let it dry, that afternoon you can lay up a second layer and you are finished. Let it dry 5 or 6 hours and remove your new rear panel. Yes it is going to be rough and need to be sanded to remove foil and filled with Bondo in places, but you are going to have a rock solid panel that you never have to worry about losing chunks out of. Once you have a 'perfect' new panel, that is strong, you can now decide if the 'one-off' is enough or do you want to make a real mold of the panel and start selling them. One thing about making molds, you final product is only going to look as good as you 'plug'. If you plug is rough and twisted, so will the part that you pull out of your mold. For a true reusable mold, you plug needs to be perfect and smooth as a baby's butt and shiny as one with oil on it.
Good Luck
gregw98

Postby Len » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks gregw98
That may be the direction I have to go . And the info on what to do when is very helpfull as I have never played with glass before .
But as life would have it right now . It is a sitting project. Between the weather and bugs and the facts of life.
But it sounds like you have a lot of info to share and was wondering if I may call upon your abilities . When I am ready to go on this ?
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

PreviousNext

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair