How do I fix this?

Moderator: Moderators

How do I fix this?

Postby res0o7eb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

Some minor body work - all sheet metal.

What to do?
1. Cut it out? Plasma fun.
2. Pound it out? BFH fun. Really Big BFH. Much bigger than the one in the 2nd and 4th pics.
3. Get professional help? If so, which kind?
3A. An Auto Body Technician to pull it back in to shape?
3B. A Psychiatrist for even considering fixing this?

Pictures don't really show the damage unless you are thoroughly familiar with the front end of these cars.
It is a lot worse than it looks.
The whole core support is bent back between 15-degrees and 30-degrees - including the passenger side where it meets the fender.
The drivers side 'bumper absorber' is bent down at a 30-degree, perhaps 45-degree angle.
Looks like minimal frame damage, if any. A testament to the structural integrity and safety engineered into these H-Body cars.
I have many more before and after pictures.

Now what would you suggest I do if I said I was planning to convert this Skyhawk to an early-style, two-light front-end?
Would your answer be any different? 3B right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Re: How do I fix this?

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 am

First of all, save that fender. Cut it off right around the emblems. Looks like a good patch panel.
As far as fixing the damage, it's hard to tell in the pics. May need a port-a-power, may need to cut out the bad sections and weld in good parts. From what I can see I'd cut the core support and left inner fender out and replace them. If you have a donor car with a good core support and both inner fenders it might be easier to cut them out as one piece and replace it all.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cos2482 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:21 pm

3A. An Auto Body Technician to pull it back in to shape!

A good auto body tech should be able to pull, heat and hammer from a few strategic areas on a frame machine to fairly close OEM tolerances with in an hour or so after setup.
Jim
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007 ... ves-vegas/

1973 Vega GT Hatchback (Millionth Vega)
1975 Vega GT Kammback (Nomad modification)
1976 Vega GT Hatchback (stock)
1976 Vega Cosworth (white/white, stock)
1977 Vega Estate (stock)
1977 Vega Hatchback (stock, bought new)
2011 Ford Ranger XLT (2,3 twincam 5spd std)
2000 Ford ranger XLT (2,5L 5spd std)
2003 Chevrolet Tracker (LT)
2015 Chevrolet Trax LTZ AWD
cos2482

Postby 73astregt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 pm

i was going to say the same thing. a good frame guy can put that car on a frame machine and pull that out with no problems. i used to have a good body shop right next door to me and ive seen that guy pull stuff straight that was WAY worse that that, i mean way worse! when he was done the panels went on and lined up perfectly, you could never tell the car had ever been hit! like i said he was a GOOD frame man that was his specialty when he was done the other guys in the shop took over and did thier thing((parts replacement, panel insatallation ,prep , paint, cleanup etc.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:18 am

Seems like an auto collision repair facility may be the ticket.
If they don't charge too much.

Another 'before and after'.
For reference, I included a similar image of my undamaged, blue Monza Spyder V-6.
Probably helps show the extent of the damage to the Skyhawk a bit better.

Matt,
I am saving the fender - no real rust. Just like the rest of the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:43 am

Can you heat the metal so its a little softer, then massage it back into shape with a hammer?

Dosen't appear like the frame rail moved, just that upper area has crease to get worked back out and the very front there needs to get banged back into shape.

I drove my 80 spyder to a shop without the front sheet metal on it....they put it on the machine ( passenger side frame rail was knocked back into the body) they pulled it back as far as they could before the metal began to tear, for $200.

Dosen't look like yours needs to be on a frame machine. But it is worse than the sunbird /deer hit I repaired. maybe use a 'come-along' and a big oak tree? + heat and a hammer.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:21 pm

I guess the damage isn't as bad as I thought when I first saw it. You probably could just pull most of it with a come a long then beat it into shape. Most of it won't be seen so as long as things bolt up it doesn't have to be real pretty.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair