Where to cut?

Moderator: Moderators

Where to cut?

Postby kgroombr » Sat May 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I am getting ready to cut out the front windshield of my donor car to replace the rusted out A-pillar, and essentially all around the windshield metal of my 72 wagon. Where should I cut? I was thinking on cutting as far back as the middle of the door, and as far forward as the firewall. Really the only place that is rusted out on my 72 wagon is all around the windshield. The A-pillars are really bad. The vents in front of the windshield are solid.

I have seen some repair like this done, but it was done using a cut out piece here and there. My goal is to replace the whole thing at once.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Where to cut?

Postby littlevega56 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:44 pm

HI look in peterpan's progect.. ray from wyoming. He did a body half shange with the A piller. theres a bunch of pics !!! gary.. littlevega.
littlevega56

Postby AusRs » Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 am

littlevega56 wrote:HI look in peterpan's progect.. ray from wyoming. He did a body half shange with the A piller. theres a bunch of pics !!! gary.. littlevega.

I agree ,he has done a fantastic job repairing that !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby kgroombr » Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm

littlevega56 wrote:HI look in peterpan's progect.. ray from wyoming. He did a body half shange with the A piller. theres a bunch of pics !!! gary.. littlevega.

I looked through several of Peterpan's projects. I found one where he cut the body in half, but didn't complete the job 'cause of the body being warped from racing.

I decided to cut right in the middle of the door, and up to the firewall, and as far down as right below where the dash is. I can always remove what I don't need.

I won't know what needs to be replaced until I get the project car in the garage and cut out the rust. The car I am parting out is in my garage right now, so after cutting out this part, it is gone. It is a rust bucket. The floors and spare tire well are all gone, it was hit pretty hard in the front, but surprisingly, the A pillars only have surface rust. Won't be until late June until I get back (job has me on the road until then). I should post pics.
kgroombr

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair