buying new fender

Moderator: Moderators

buying new fender

Postby ukjon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello, I am in the uk and have just purchased what I beleive to be the only vega in the country, it is a 73 gt and has a gen 33000 on the clock she is structually sound and mechanically good, the inside is mint and has all originall manuals and paper work, even has two of the original (i think) firestones on it. but the fenders are rusty and the passenger side front and nose panal need replacing.... the others could be patched but would benefit from new.....so I am after help, everyone i speak to in the uk is unable to get panals so is there anyone on here who could help....or suggest anyone to contact?

Cheers all
Jon
ukjon

Re: buying new fender

Postby monza75tc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Jon,

First off, let me welcome you to the forum. You will be one of 3 Hbodys in England. Check out the Registry.... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html

Where are you located in the UK? If you are at least not too far from Mildenhal in East Anglia, maybe the person there might know if there are any place that has American cars, and if not can ask at the Auto-Hobby shop to find out about them. You can always pay the shipping from the states as no new ones are available currently, Maybe some know where you can get some fiberglas ones. Go to the General Forum and ask a few questions. If you happen to have some pictures you could post would help also. I spent 3 years near Bedford, and there were some yards that had some American vehicles just north of Bedford I think. Hit the local yards and find out if they can communicate with other yards to see if anything is available.

DIck
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby ukjon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Thank you for the help, have sent my details to the registry..... I am sure I will have lots of questions for the guys on here as the restoration goes forward... ill take some photos and upload them.
jon
ukjon

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:19 am

I've got a rust free fender I'll donate to the cause since it's likely going to be a bit pricey to send it over there. My condition is that you consider the Rover V8 swap. LOL!

Are you still looking for the right front? The fender I have is straight and rust free. You would need to transfer the door jam portion from the fender you have. It will help mounting it. It's not necessary but it would help. I'm betting the rust is just behind the front wheel well, right? The underlying unitbody stucture will be rusty too. Leaves get down in there from the vent and hold water there.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ukjon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:39 pm

Thank you very much for all the help guys,,, I have actually found both front fenders and header panal and are being shipped this week I hope.... will let you know if not... and nix Yeah the rust was accross the top and behind the wheel.. have got the old ones off and the rust is behind but luckily not gone through some have sanded off most of it and treated the rest... gonna under seal all of it before I put back together. Have some pics will post them up shortly.
Jon
ukjon

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:11 am

Great news, Jon! On both counts.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair