Vega dash replacement

Moderator: Moderators

Vega dash replacement

Postby kgroombr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:13 pm

I am cutting out the old dash from my 72 Vega. I started with the driver's side looking for spot welds. I really didn't see anything, so I took good guesses and am having a heck of a time getting it out. It really doesn't matter if I tear this one up, but I have a front window section from a doner vehicle, and looking at it, I can't see any spot welds either. How does this thing come out without tearing it up?

vegadashrust.jpg

Thanks,
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Vega dash replacement

Postby kgroombr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:44 am

Here is a pic of my replacement dash. I wasn't sure how much I would need so I cut from the firewall back to the middle of the doors. I got the dash out out, but I tore it up quite a bit. I have a few ideas on how to cut this one out, but all have their risks.

newdash.jpg

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kgroombr

Postby kgroombr » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:58 pm

I got a spot weld remover (I had one, but it was cheap). This one worked pretty good. It is no wonder this is a pain. There are four layers of metal at this location. There is the firewall (lowest layer which is what I removed before I took this picture), that is covered by the cowl panel, which is covered by the window channel, which is covered by the dash. There are spot welds on top of spot welds. Sealer was used between each layer. Much of the sealer has degraded to a powder, so it is no wonder that water gets between the panels and rots them out. I am going to cut out the window channel on my GT down to the firewall level and build it all back up again as there is a lot of rust between these panels and it is the only sure way to get it out. I am going to take my time on this one and get it apart as the metal part of dash is in great shape.

VegaDashWithoutFirewall.jpg

Ken
kgroombr

Postby kgroombr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:02 pm

I got the dash out without damaging it by just taking my time. I also cut out all the rusted metal (window channel, etc). I am getting ready to reconstruct this. What gauge of metal should I use? I looked at some 18 and 22 gauge metal and 22 gauge feels too slim and 18 gauges feels too thick. They didn't have anything in-between (such as 20 gauge), but that doesn’t mean I can’t find another source. What have you all used in the past?

I also have to redo the battery box area. Should I use the same gauge all around or should I use thicker metal in that area?

Thanks,
Ken
kgroombr

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair