Door pins and bushings, hinge ears and end play

Moderator: Moderators

Door pins and bushings, hinge ears and end play

Postby gt350fme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows what would be the best I could hope for as far as DOOR END PLAY with new pins and bushings, when the door is slightly open and you can rock it up and down, I have replaced the bushings but not pins yet, still seems to loose to me, inch or so seems sloopy to me, I should replace the pins anyway but still I don't think this is going to be a porsche fit ? which has no end play at all, just checked.

Im doing body work on the doors now and I would like to get this right before paint.
Thanks

TC
Last edited by gt350fme on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Door hinges and end play

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm

I have sold many GM door pins and bushings. There is a slight amount of play between the pin and bushing when new but it should not be that much. If I slide the bushing on the pin it is not a real tight fit but that's the way it is supposed to be, just enough clearance to allow everything to move freely. If you need any arts let me know. Unfortunately with the hinges welded on to the door and body there is not a lot of adjustment. The only way to do is is by "tweaking" the hinges. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby SunbirdMan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 pm

cjbiagi wrote:I have sold many GM door pins and bushings. There is a slight amount of play between the pin and bushing when new but it should not be that much. If I slide the bushing on the pin it is not a real tight fit but that's the way it is supposed to be, just enough clearance to allow everything to move freely. If you need any arts let me know. Unfortunately with the hinges welded on to the door and body there is not a lot of adjustment. The only way to do is is by "tweaking" the hinges. cjbiagi@yahoo.com

Clyde, I've been meaning to ask you this out of curiosity for several years now. You seem to be the man to ask about parts. My 1978 Fisher Body manual has a short section on h-body doors and it talks about replacing the hinges. Like you say, the hinges are welded to the doors and body. However, it states that the replacement hinges bolt to the door. it describes how to drill out the welds and shows the replacement hinge with countersunk bolts and uses an anchor plate inside the door with threaded holes to bolt to. Knowing that such a replacement hinge exists, would you be able to find a part number for it? The Manual gives part numbers for the bolts (two ea. 7667647 and one 8746511) and anchor plate (9840410) but no part number for the replacement hinges.
As an aside, it describes removing the body side of the hinge by cutting it apart with a torch (essentially destroying it) then after prep, tacking the replacement on and checking alignment prior to completely arc welding it to the body.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby gerbsinmd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:48 pm

I don't think I would want a bolt on hinge on those doors.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31 pm

There are a lot of part numbers to these hinges. Each hinge consists of 2 parts for a total of 8 different parts for both doors. That''s just the main "straps" as they are called. There are also a number of different anchor plates listed. There are also different numbers for HM, H07, & H27 cars. If you are seriously interested in something let me know and I'll try and research it more and see if I can locate what you need. Interestingly my manual does show the hinges being mounted with bolts.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby AusRs » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 am

when i got my car here to Australia the bushes had been replaced but the doors still had lots of play in them ,the answer was to take everything apart again and measure up
i had stainless pins and bushes made for my car ,should never wear out !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby gt350fme » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Stainless Pins and bushings, Sweet!, what kind of door end play do you have with the SS stuff ?
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby AusRs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 am

gt350fme wrote:Stainless Pins and bushings, Sweet!, what kind of door end play do you have with the SS stuff ?

NONE
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzajer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 pm

monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby 72 SS PNL » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:33 am

requires log in ?
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby monzajer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:57 am

OOps. Sorry, my bad. Here it is:

pgk
APPRENTICE

Posted: 16 Jan 2009 04:03 Post subject: sagging door help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 70 nova with a sagging drivers door i replaced the bushings and pins and still no help the bad part about it is the hinges are factory welded so there is no adjustment there any help is appreciated thanks paul

Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Posted: 16 Jan 2009 10:09 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAYBE THE door is bent in a bit where the hing mounts...

michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Posted: 16 Jan 2009 14:34 Post subject:

You can buy new hinges and split them. Change the side that bolts to the door. That is usually the side that goes bad. If you find another way let us know what you do.

markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Posted: 17 Jan 2009 00:15 Post subject:

Couple little tricks of the trade I will share with you, but you must be very careful. First you can try a piece of 2x4 on a floor jack along the bottom edge of the door. Open the door slightly and place the board to push on a longer area than the saddle would do by itself near the rear of the door. This will bend the door frame inward at the top hinge area, BUT BE REAL CAREFUL because the door will get very close and maybe even touch the fender and could chip the paint, or you could roll the lower edge of the door so use your judgment. Another way is to place a big hammer in the lower hinge with the door open, then, with steady pressure force the door close. Not all the way, just until you feel a little movement. This will stretch the lower hinge and raise the door. This will most likely chip the paint in the hinge area. Last thing would be to drill out the spot welds in the factory hinges on the door and replace them with bolts. Then you can slot the holes and or shim the doors as needed.

Be very careful with whatever you do. These are proven methods I have used over the years sucessfully. Good luck. Mark Adams

pgk
APPRENTICE

Posted: 17 Jan 2009 08:38 Post subject:

thanks for the replys ill try those tricks out thanks paul

zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 15:22 Post subject:

There is a body tool made just for this purpose, it's a flat bar about 6 ft. long and loops over the body striker bolt and a bracket slips into the door striker. It allows you to almost close the door when in place and then lift up on the bar to pull the door up to the proper heigth, being careful to not pull up too much. It's usually the bottom hinge that gets pushed into the door frame. This bar just pulls the door frame back out. I was going to take a picture of the tool but my friend had lent it out to someone, and it isn't returned yet.

Zip.

markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 20:32 Post subject:

Yes, Zip is right. I checked toolsusa.com and put door alignmnet in the search box. They have the one he is talking about for $54.

rhiasdaddy
JOURNEYMAN

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 00:12 Post subject: door adjustment

take a floor jack with 2by4s on the pad and jack the door upand see if that helps it

Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 21:14 Post subject:

the best way to cure this is to shim between the door and the hinge. very simple fix and you can make shims in the size you need... should take you about 20 min. Owned alot of novas... by far the fastest way to fix it

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby Todd TCE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:45 pm

I shall soon join the replacement hinge party.

Clyde if you have any updated info on the oe replacement parts please do let me know. You can email that to me at toddandchris1@cox.net.

I am also looking at doing much the same as above and making new pins and or bushings. The ss is a good plan also. I do like the replacement bolt on idea but looking at the hinge...removing that weld spot is going to be hell. The nice part however would be the adjustments offered. A larger backing plate to sandwich the sheet metal would work.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Todd, if you know exactly what parts you need let me know. As I mentioned, there are a lot of part numbers that make up these hinges. Each hinge is 2 different numbers, body side & door side. Then you have upper and lower RH & LH side. If you get to the point where you think you know what you need I'll see what I can do.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gerbsinmd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:52 am

FWIW, I had to tweak the part of the hinge on the body of the car with a 3 lb hammer to take away the play and get it to line up right.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Todd TCE » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:49 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Todd, if you know exactly what parts you need let me know. As I mentioned, there are a lot of part numbers that make up these hinges. Each hinge is 2 different numbers, body side & door side. Then you have upper and lower RH & LH side. If you get to the point where you think you know what you need I'll see what I can do.

Not sure yet but thanks. Like someone above I'm a bit leaning towards some alternatives but maybe not....

Before I can really evaluate this thing I need to figure out how to remove the pin. She's not a-budgin' now! I'm guessing bull nose air chisel on the pointed end?
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Next

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair