FRP panels and bumperettes

Moderator: Moderators

FRP panels and bumperettes

Postby steponmebbbboom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi, does anyone have a solution to torn and warped FRP panels including the nose, tail and those outboard rubber bumperettes with captive studs that rust out and bulge? Im concerned about spending time refinishing my original rubber pieces if they are just going to warp and spiderweb in a few years. Im also concerned about using fiberglass pieces since the nose was originally meant to fit over the fiberglass reinforcement and I'll obviously have to toss this if going to a fiberglass piece. Won't it be especially weak where it flops down to fill the gap between the front bumper and fender, if it can't flex?
Also having read-up about showcars-bodyparts Im curious whom among you have had good luck with fiberglass parts vendors in terms of customer service and fit problems. I live in Canada so customer service will be a big factor in deciding which vendor i go with. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud Monza owner since December 3rd, 1990
steponmebbbboom

Re: FRP panels and bumperettes

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm

I have used 3M products for repairing and filling my bumper covers. I used it more as a filler as there were many dips and waves in the panels and the repair has held up perfectly for over 20 years. Those front and rear panels are a real pain to work with and I did not repair any tears with it so you would have to back up the repair with something for strength. Serious problems may even require the use of a heat gun or cutting and splicing the bulge. The 3M stuff is a bit pricey but it worked for me. If you have difficulty finding it let me know. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair