Seam sealers

Moderator: Moderators

Seam sealers

Postby 76Vega » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:57 am

As I'm approaching the end of my floor repairs and small patches (inside the car), I was wondering what would be the best and easiest seam sealer, I was thinking of going with a brush on seam sealer like http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brush-on-sea ... quart.html for the floor repairs and replace all the old seam sealer on the edges inside the cars floor area, but i was wondering about the wider seams, like were the outside inner fenderwell meets the firewall, the old sealer was all dried, cracked and falling off, so i tore it all out, I'm not sure if i should use caulk strips or cartridge type sealer for these larger gaps/seams.
Also what would be best to strip the old crap off the floor besides spending 100 hrs of scraping it off with a putty knife, or atleast something to loosen it up to make scraping it off easier.
I would appreciate any help, anyone could give me.
Thanks.
edit
what do you all think of the rust converters out there are they worth using or should i remove the surface rust the old fashion way?
David
1972 Vega GT
76Vega

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Seam sealers

Postby kgroombr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm

I have used Loctite Polyurethane Caulk that can be purchased at most hardware stores. Nice smooth look, bonds tight and can paint right over it.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Seam sealers

Postby Vega2008 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:31 am

Check out what the details in 3M 08115 Panel Bonding Adhesive has to say about the product. It is used to bond body door panels, roof panels...not for rocker panels or A pillers...but they state it will rustproof and do the seam seal all in one step and is applied to both sides of the bare metal to be joined. I'm actually considering this stuff for a tail light panel conversion for my 1975 Vega to 1970-73 Camaro tail lights. Since I don't weld or have access to a mig welder I was considering using this stuff to patch my rear panel and the strength of this stuff is comprable to steel once clamped and bonded.

Vega2008 - Mike
Vega2008

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair