Repair early VALANCE panels with soldering iron!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Repair early VALANCE panels with soldering iron!!!

Postby bugdewde » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Ronnie has 26+ Vegas and a few Monzas at his place. He has a website: http://www.vegaguy.com/
And has regular ads on Knoxville, TN Craigslist.

He took a few minutes to show us how he repairs the early Vega Valance panels.... the ones that are a hard-type plastic ('73 in this case).

He uses a butane powered soldering iron.

First, he places the two pieces together and simply "welds" the two pieces together with the soldering iron tip.... the one that looks like a flat-head screwdriver (Sorry that I don't have a pic for that process... my cell phone camera didn't work like I wanted it to so it got lost).

He says if you remove the paint first and clean up the area to be fused, it works even better. This was just a demo, so he simply "welded" the pieces together blending paint and grime all together. It was surprisingly strong.
Simply use a circular motion down the crack to "weld" (melt) the two halves together...... just like welding.

Second, he uses the spoon-type attachment to scrape the excess/buildup off... making the surface more smooth.

Valance cleanup.jpg

valance fill in.jpg

Third, he then uses the same attachment to melt some shrink-wrap tubing onto the repair to act as a filler material.
finished.jpg

This valance was completed in less than 10 minutes..... obviously, more time would be used to clean/prep the area but since this was just a demo it wasn't a pristine job, but you get the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Repair early VALANCE panels with soldering iron!!!

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm

I have fixed a number of urethane parts like that. Just did my daughters 2009 Pontiac G6 front bumper. A large rock hit it and pushed a hole in it. Fortunately the piece was still being held in place along one edge. So, I pushed it back into position and melted the remaining perimeter with a soldering iron. That secured the piece in place and then it was normal sanding and filling, prime and paint. You are basically melting the edges together for a good structural bond and then do your bodywork. Works like a dream.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Repair early VALANCE panels with soldering iron!!!

Postby kgroombr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I have fix several 71-73 valances with this:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/

Much easier than welding, and super strong. Files and sands just like the real plastic and doesn't require filler if done right.

Doesn't work on 74+ plastic valances though.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair