Swapping front and rear clips on a monza

Moderator: Moderators

Swapping front and rear clips on a monza

Postby Cattmurry2 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 am

I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the front and rear clips/lights from a 77 "sport hatchback" (quad headlight/slim angled taillight) onto a 80 "hatchback" (2 round headlights/vertical tailights) ie HR07 front and rearend onto a MR07 body.

The reason I'm asking is that last year my 77 sypder took a beating in a hail storm and lost it's windshield, due to the high cost of getting a replacement, the amout of body damage the car took, and all the rust she already had, I'm afraid she's now only a parts car.

I have a chance to pick up a 1980 hatchbach with the 2 round headlights near me for a fair price, but I'm just not that crazy about that body style. I assume the only tricky part with the front is rewiring for the different lights but I'm not sure if the the rear clip/lights will be a bolt on affair.

Also how tricky would it be to move my factory gauges into the standard speedo/fuel gauge dash.

many thanks in advance
Cattmurry2

Re: Swapping front and rear clips on a monza

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Cattmurry2 the nose and tail sections will not be a bolt on as the sheet metal behind the lights is significantly different than the 4 light versions. :cry: The lighting change shouldn't be to difficult, you may even be able to just swap the harness ends I have never tried that part but I know that the harness does have a connector for the back part of the car,(just stripped that part this weekend on a parts car) As for the dash just use the search function on this board as a couple of guy's here have done this with pretty good wright ups! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Swapping front and rear clips on a monza

Postby Cattmurry2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply
Darn, I was hoping it would be a bolt on affair. As for the light I was just planning on swapping the harness ends but if the sheet metal is different on both the front and rear ends I guess I'm going to have to find another car that has the quad light and tail that I want.

If anyone is looking for a 2 headlight body style send me a msg and I can give you the info on the car

Thanks again
Cattmurry2

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair