rear spoiler

Moderator: Moderators

rear spoiler

Postby jim327monza » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 am

Hi bought a Spyder rear spoiler to put om my 76 2+2 hatchback. Any suggestions as to how to locate/drill holes for mounting? I Have not started preparing the body for paint yet due to working on mechanical issues first.
As always thanks in advance Jim H.
jim327monza

Re: rear spoiler

Postby zzip » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Jim,

maybe this will help

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42001

Grtz

Peter from Antwerp
1988 Monza L4 2.5L
1989 Monza Spyder L4 2.5L
1990 Monza Spyder V6 3.2L
1991 Monza Spyder V6 3.8L
2013 Monza V6 3.8L
2014 Starfire V6 3.8L
zzip

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 am

Jim, what I did with mine on my first Monza was, I put a sheet of paper on the bottom of the spoiler, then I marked the stud locations and cut them out. If you just push them through you will not get the nice crisp hole locations you want, so resist temptation! Now replace the paper to the bottom of the spoiler and mark/trim to size. This can now be taped into place on the hatch and you have the locations for the holes. The studs on mine weren't long enough to pass through both layers of the hatch so I had to open up the inner layer with a hole saw while working upside down (my car didn't have the knock out locations or the holes, I was a kid and didn't have the sense to take it off and put it on a stand/bench or I was too D...N impatient), I didn't destroy it but I would take it off the car for that now, if your car doesn't have the holes "knocked out" already. The spoiler should be taped or glued down, with something like 3M Trim tape, silicone will work, this is what I did as a kid, I would have had to take time off work to buy the tape back then it is much more accessible now and the tape is the preferred method. Remember that you don't want any gaps in the tape as that is how the spoiler is waterproofed so it doesn't leak in through the mounting studs into your hatch(trunk on the others) I am also thinking about putting grommets around the mounting holes to further waterproof the set up, but I haven't checked to see if that will even work yet, (ie: are the studs long enough is there enough room between the spoilers and the hatch to do this without it sitting up etc.). Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jim327monza » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:25 pm

harry, that is pretty much what I though. I don't have the knock out in my hatch so I plan to use a hole saw one size bigger than the outer diameter of the socket needed to tighten the bolts. I need to make sure that I can find a plug that size. i an also thinking about filling the inside void with fome-o-fill to add rigidity and to stop moisture build up. How did you access the inner rear fender wells to attach the side pieces? I think this is going to be a lot of work but I Do love the way a spoiler looks on our cars Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Jim I don't believe the factory uses a plug on those access holes. The side pieces aren't to bad to access from inside the car, you will have to remove the carpet pieces from the inside quarter panel area. My car is in storage for a while yet and the rust donor is in 6" of mud still so getting a size for those holes is a while off yet, but I would say they are about an inch in diameter. I have heard many HORROR stories about foam and steel so I would use caution when foaming your spoiler you will need an air space between the foam and your hatch and the inner support as the spray foam is a little caustic (opposite pH to an acid, same effect though) and holds moisture real well. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair