Engine bay

Moderator: Moderators

Engine bay

Postby dindin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:53 pm

I was thinking of paint my engine bay before I put my engine back in and after I cleaned it up I noticed lots of unpainted primer, is this normal for these cars? I may just leave it as is.

engine bay 3.1.jpg

engine bay 1.1.jpg

z09 1.jpg
:D
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Re: Engine bay

Postby kgroombr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:07 pm

I have seen quite a few Vega's and haven't see primer showing through like this. Usually I see the engine bay painted the same color as the body, or sometimes it painted black, but the paint is fairly uniform and no primer is showing through.

I have seen original Vega's of the same year having body paint matched engine bay or black. Don't know why they didn't stick with one pattern.

Never know, maybe yours was made on a Friday afternoon when they were wanting to get the heck out of there to start their weekend. :)

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:20 pm

You have the perfect opportunity to detail and paint the engine compartment. I went one step further and did a lot of smoothing on the wheelwells (notice the wrinkles from forming the wheelwells) as well as smoothing a lot of the holes and dimples in the firewall and surrounding areas. Yes, most people are not as anal as I am but you have a great chance to really make it nice and standout from the rest so why not do it? Yes, it is a lot of work but the end result is worth the effort especially if you plan on doing any shows or attend cruise nights where you pop your hood open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:35 pm

That looks awesome Clyde!!

I had to remove alot of undercoating with a heat gun and plastic scraper, it would take me blasting off the paint to metal or im afraid the paint would peel in some places.

I was thinking maybe touching it up some, but looking at all the bare spots I dont think it possible to get it looking decent..which is why I may just leave it..

Al
dindin

Postby kgroombr » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:31 pm

It shouldn't be too hard to mask off everything and use a spray can to touch it up. Use aluminium foil and wrap your wires and lines. Easy to put on and easy to take off.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:40 pm

It all depends on how big of a hurry you are to get it back together. It would be a great winter project....
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Al my unsolicited advice is listen to these other members, if only you see it you will be happy, the more effort the happier you will get. You are looking at Clyde's pic' right? I don't know if I am that patient but if I can swing it that is my goal! As for colour there has been some discussion in the past and if I remember correctly black was used on only certain body colours but I don't remember the exact breakdown. For you it is all up to you! Go forth and wire wheel, and spray " 'till your heart's content" Black, match, or some contrast. with even a mix of the preceding, pin striping or other effects will separate you from the crowd in a hurry as well but try and make something tie them together like a body (or interior colours may be brought together as well) colour separating line between other colours under hood or you could just go stock. This will be the easiest time with the engine out. You have to be happy with your choice, you know where we stand :D Harry P.S. paint will be one of the most useful tools you have in the battle of you VS. RUST and you are outmanned bad! Rust has a team of 24/7/365 steel eaters at her disposal:
Ms. Pac Man.jpg
Pac Man.jpg
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:33 pm

I am going to try and save it!! Besides I don't wanna mess with them crumple zones :? :lol:

I think I found a pretty decent match..John Deere Blitz Black I used a brush then wet sanded it..I am going to try a foam brush and see how that works, but the color looks pretty close.

paint deere 3.jpg
dindin

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:53 am

Great looking engine bay! I really took to the smoothing idea as well as someones idea of completing the weld seam on the control arm mounts where they only tack welded them and smoothed the entire bay and the patchwork weld seams where we rebuilt the radiator core support...inside and out, even where they will never show. I haven't decided on a paint scheme but might be Volcano Orange (McLaren) and black or a Spectrachrome cranberry. We will black out all of the chrome trim, I just cant decide on gloss or flat. Engine bay will be either black or orange, haven't decided....flip a coin I guess.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair