another one bites the rust..

Moderator: Moderators

another one bites the rust..

Postby dindin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:37 am

well almost,

what started out as removing surface rust from my battery tray and painting..ended up in an amputation of the tray, while cleaning the rust off I notice around the drain hole the metal below the tray was rusted and the only way to get a look was to remove the tray..little did I know it was spot welded to the bottom as well as the front and fender side..I used vice grips and channel lock pliers and some light hammering and a drill to get it done..I gave me quite a fight for its life

So I need a new battery tray, I have read some people using a 67-69 camaro tray, is this still the go to tray?? Seems reasonably priced.

battery tray.jpg

fender under tray.jpg

tray.jpg

Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Re: another one bites the rust..

Postby kgroombr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:55 pm

My 72 Vega had a tray that looked near perfect, but after a little cleaning, it was practically dust including the metal underneath. I used the Camaro tray. It doesn't have the side straps/supports for strength, but I drilled out a few more holes on the bottom and plug welded it to the new metal I installed underneath. Looks good and works well.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby dindin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks Ken, I found one for $5.53 delivered on ebay.. :lol:

Al
dindin

Postby leander » Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 am

I have a Camaro tray in my car also, and have no complaints so far.
leander

Postby dindin » Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am

I cleaned up the metal under it with a electric wire brush then treated the metal with a rust converter, covered it the epoxy primer then used some body filler over the epoxy primer then put more epoxy primer over the filler then painted it black..not perfect but you can't see it anyways..

Here is how it looks after filler ..

battery tray 256 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Postby dindin » Thu May 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Couple more shots of the repair..

I enlarged the original hole some to take away some rot and painted black.

tray 4.png

I then glued a couple washers to bottom of 67-69 Camaro battery tray to have it sit somewhat even, I will use one bolt going through washer from bottom and 2 bolts mounted to front..

One more little piece of the puzzle completed.. :)

Al
dindin

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair