Will that be plastic or steel ???door interior panel backing

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Will that be plastic or steel ???door interior panel backing

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm

On my 75 Monza 2+2 hatch the door panels were taken off and had a top half reupolstered,, :arrow: 1 foot down from belt line (end of window opening) I looked at the back at the top piece of backing ,,,where the rivets for the window sweep's attach :arrow: the angled pieces were formed out of high impact plastic,,so I repaired the broken mounting ledge :arrow: upside down leaning against the workbench with fiberglass choped mat cut into strips and laid several layer's to reinforce the edge where broken and cracked through, (would not hold the lip of the window seals) :arrow: , but after the fibre glass it would now work :idea: :arrow: Then I went and bought a set off e/bay and to my surprise they are metal backed,,,, :arrow: Any ideals of when the steel and the plastic one's are used on the h-body's ,year models I assume the 75 are original's but I still do not know,Mike ps edit :arrow: the upper backing piece is made out of plastic the lower is pressed paper or some version of cardbord,,,materrial, :arrow: the one set from e/bay had metal backing tops beneath the upholtery with the same lower material pressed cardboard behind the upholstery, is that better? Mike
Last edited by MIKESMONZA on Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Bacchus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 pm

I don't know what that says. Would you mind reposting in English.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby monzamess » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:25 pm

Sounds like a hard thing to describe, got a picture?
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:04 pm

I could be wrong but I think he's saying on the back side of his inner door panels, the originals have plastic and the ones he bought have metal and he's wondering what year they changed. I'm not sure what repairing it with fiberglass upside down leaning on the work bench has to do with the question. And did he mean the part was leaning on the bench or was he leaning on the bench working on it? I'm not real fluent in babble.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Plain english

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:17 pm

:roll: Well no on the picture at this time dial up sucks in the boonnies,, have you ever noticed the :arrow: back of the upholstered panel after you remove it from the car, it has upper plastic or steel reinforcement and a soft material on the lower parts and on some model's it is completely one material usaly plastic. this is different on a lot of models,,,,I was wondering if they used steel on later models or all along depending on trim level's in h-bodys,,,, Mike :arrow: thank's Spyder xlch for translating the bable, as I was stuck, to the resin leaning, :arrow: The reason for the leaning the panel with the back exposed will become "apparent" when you find the cracks in the upper piece you can fill the holes and lenght wise cracks with layer of resin and cloth cut to fit,,, :arrow: the little angle of broken material from the main piece .that is leaning up the wall, whew, pictures, pictures, could tell a story,Mike,,,, do you get the "picture."
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mldeolde » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:02 pm

I'LL TRY TO GET YOU SOME PICTURES OF MINE. IT'S ONE OF THE FEW THINGS THAT MAY BE FACTORY STOCK ON THE IMSA ....................
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby fyrftr50 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:35 pm

The upper half of the door panels in the 2nd gens are all plastic, never seen a steel one. Must have been someone's mod.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Must be just my Imagination ??? :arrow: as today I pulled the door panel's on the 77 monza town coupe' and the top reininforcement for the panel's is steel also behind the upholstery.Mike 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mldeolde » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:20 pm

i'm still trying to find time to get mine off for you Mike but i've been way swamped with work and family business that needed to be attended to but i'm still tryin for you......
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Re: Will that be plastic or steel ???door interior panel backing

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Any chance you,,get.,,, let me know,,probaly find something,interesting,,I was just checking the posts and found your timely reply.. :lol: Thanks in advance,, Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Factory Original Purist