Which car to build?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Which car to build?

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Here's the problem, I have a 79 Monza Spyder with 6264 original miles. I know they are original because I bought it from the 2nd owner who bought it in 84 with 74 miles on the car. The milage on the title said that. It was parked in 86 and sat ever since. Because it sat the underside is junk. I had a 75 Monza given to me that is stripped to almost the shell. It is in great shape. I had a Spyder in the early 90's that was stolen. I always wanted another Spyder. I was given the nickname "Spyder" when I had my first and have been called that ever since. I really want to build the Spyder. I'd have to cut out the whole floor and frame rails all the way from bumper to bumper. The easiest thing to do would be swap all the parts from the Spyder onto the 75. But it wouldn't truely be a Spyder then. Atleast not a factory Spyder. What's the real difference anyway? swaybars, springs, and decals? If I used the vin and body tags from the 79 on the 75 and all the 79 suspension would it still be a 79 spyder? I like the 75 dash better so I'd peobably leave that and all the guages are there so I'd hate to cut it out to put a 79 dash in. It won't be a factory correct show car but it will be a nice car when done. It's just I want to keep my Spyder and not build a Spyder clone. Only I would know the difference ( and anyone reading this). So what would Jesus do? lol. I need opinions. Thanks for the help in advance.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BumpaD_Z28 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Just use both cars and "morph" them together into the best Spyder you can build !!!
Dave & Jennifer
1967 Camaro Rally Sport
1971 Suzuki TS125'R'
1982 Z28 ALMOST every mod...
1998 Chevrolet 1500 Z71
1999 YAMAHA Banshee
BumpaD_Z28

Postby AusRs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:36 am

BumpaD_Z28 wrote:Just use both cars and "morph" them together into the best Spyder you can build !!!

what he said :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:12 pm

:arrow: You can make a hand built 75 spyder better.,, One way better than factory,,, You also have an advantage with the larger transmission hump,,,and keep the 79 around you may have to use some of the other parts while you are at it measure the trany hump on both car's and look for some differance in the core support's are as Clyde mentioned in another thread,, :arrow: They may have some different Radiator area "opening's" or be foward a little,,,Letting you get some advantage in clearance on fan or what ever in the later model 79 core support ????,, Mike,, keep us posted,If in doubt ask Clyde he and my self have 75 Monza 2+2 also. Mike
Last edited by MIKESMONZA on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:21 pm

I agree, take the best of both cars and create one. If the 75 is in better shape structurally, go with that. You will have the dash that you like ( I prefer it also) along with a more solid car. I also prefer the early front ends (maybe I'm just a little biased :lol: ) Look at it this way, now you will really have a one of a kind car with a 75 Spyder! Replacing the floors and no doubt a lot of other rust just doesn't make sense when you have another solid chassis to start with. Build the 75 and swap all the other upgrades on to it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:35 pm

I don't have the front end for the 75 but I do like the later style nose that's on my 79. So I guess if I build the 75 using my 79 Spyder parts it'll still worthy of the Spyder emblems? It'll be titled as a 79 but will have the 75 dash and tranny tunnel. I guess only a real H body guy would know the difference. It'll be something the factory didn't build but with all the features I like.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HotfootGT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Junk em both and buy a Honda!

Just Kidding.

Make the Spyder the way you want using the best pieces from the 2. Its still a Spyder just modified!
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Don't laugh, right now my daily driver is a honda. Actually an 89 acura integra. It was given to me along with a parts car that was wrecked. I plan to junk it once I get a Monza on the road.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:41 am

Matt,

Do you have a title to the 75? You say you'll swap the parts off of the 79 and on to the 75, but title it as a 79.
I don't know what the laws are in PA, but in WA, swapping VIN tags is illegal. If your title is in state and you don't need a state inspection then you are OK. In WA, that inspection isn't a safety inspection or a smog inspection. Otherwise, depending on the laws in your state, you could end up losing your car.
How will they know? I thought I read a post where the VIN or body number is stamped on some parts of the car - A-Arm or frame or something. If they don't match the VIN tag, you're going to have some problems.
Check the laws in your state just to make sure.
If you have titles to both, then I think you are being way too anal about whether it is a real Spyder or not. Don't swap the VIN tags. Just make the best Monza you can from both of them. And post pictures here for all of us to enjoy your pride and joy.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:43 am

No title for the 75. I am working on getting 2 more H-bodies both with titles. I'll build atleast 2 out of the 4 but may have enough left to build a 3rd car. Anybody have a bigger garage I can buy? lol.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kenova » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:08 am

spyder_xlch wrote:No title for the 75.

I wouldn't do a thing to it untill I had a legal title.
Ken
Kenova

Postby 2lucke4u » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:29 am

spyder_xlch
Title schmitle,,,you should have no problems,,the bone heads that check for emissions and road safety inspection won't even know what kind of car it is,I asked them If they would like to come out and see the car,,their words "no.. its fine",you can't even find a body shop that has these in their data bases,,I am driving a multi car now and own another,and yes they are both titled and street cars,it is very common in the collector car market to hybrid two or more cars together to make one,,I sold a 67 firebird recently that had the title from my parts car because it cost too much to recover the original title,,the car did not have the original drivetrain/interior anyway and needed a complete restoration,I sold it "as is" and he got a deal,,it will end up as a drag car and never be titled anyway,,make your car,, title it ,,and go from there,,when is the last time someone asked you for your title or check your VIN,,,,I did'nt think so,
,me ,,its never,,maybe its just the midwest is not as anal as the east and west coast,,,who knows,,
do what gives you peace of mind,,
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby v8astregt » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:45 pm

If you do get creative, inspect the undercarriage with a magnifying glass!!!!!!

I didn't think there were any numbers on my car until the salvage inspector called me into his shop for some questions. He had my car up in the air and had a creeper underneath. There are some numbers hidden under there!!!! I know my 71 Camaro has numbers stamped under the heater box.

Oh, BTW, the salvage inspector wanted to let me know that it wasn't the original trans, and that the numbers were milled off the block so it probably wasn't original. :lol: "Gee, it was like that when I bought it sir!" :lol:
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Dude, even if you cut and pasted the '75 floor pan in, it still would be unoriginal due to the 75 having a different floor pan design..(tall tunnel)

So Just get the 75 rebuilt as a spyder, transfer the vin and go to town as a 'rea' spyder owner....after all, all you changed was the body.
With a unibody, its really just another part.

Just dont try to spoof somebody if you ever go to sell it.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to Factory Original Purist