spider decals

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Len » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:31 am

Thank for clearing that up and saving me the money on the resto pac.
However that does leave me with the decision with what to do with the red spider leave it for a while and wait for some one to make a stripe package in red or just turn it into modified type.

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby fyrftr50 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

Len
That was a decision I had to wrestle with as I really wanted my 80 to retain the unique 80 look knew decals wouldn't be available anytime 9soon or never) and wasn't sure I would like the cost of such a large set. Although I wish they were available so I could have had a decent choice to make, but I just wanted a Spyder, any Spyder, on the road so badly, I couldn't wait.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

Postby Len » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:22 am

I'm, in no real hurry to do anything as I can always put together a driver with the rest of the cars. And am toying with that idea also.
You know I've never seen a red spider with the decal package on it in real life, wonder if the are actual photos of one some where ? I've gone through both sites a while back and don't remember seeing one. This might help me decide on what to do with this car at any rate more info the better. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby fyrftr50 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:59 pm

I saw a red 80 in a yard (I pulled the rear spoiler off it) once, but I have to admit, I beleive that was the only red one I've seen. I only have pics of the spoiler, didn't own a digital camera when I found the car years ago. It was a black interior so it had the black Spyder striping, which would probably look best on a red car.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

Postby Len » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:12 am

I agree that the black stripes would look better but if I wanted to factory original it would have to be the red orange and clear package as my spider has the carmine int and red ext. So what are the chances of that package ever being reproduced . Matter in fact I doubt there are many alive with this color combination not to brag but even you have only seen one for real that was red but had a black int. But I'll post in the general thread and ask how many of my color combos people have seen. And I'll go from there.

Thanks for your help and for all the work you have put into your site

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Re: spider decals

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat May 24, 2008 9:30 pm

All the correct answers have been given.

I'll just echo whats already been said., the 1980's Z29 spyder option was all together. Every '80 spyder had decals and a handling package. The 1980's had the best looking front airdam of all the spyders. But you couldnt get the V8 anymore.
An evenfire 231 with new better flowing heads was available as the top engine option.

990 spyders in 1978 had only the Z01 package.
Something like 1,010 in '79
and then some similar amount '77.

The 76's had no decals at all. Just the emblems. 2,339 is split between coupes and hatchbacks.

So its fair to say over all only about 4,000 Z01 only spyders existed.

A number in the 'pretty rare' category.

I once owned a really sharp looking 1980 spyder.

Originally the car was silver with Dk Blue interior (a really sweet combo...so many compliments on this car).

So the car would have had blue decals. Must have been sweet.

The car was freshly repainted corvette silver when I took ownership. So there were full spyder emblems but no decals.

I put the side spyder scripts on it from a Z01(spyder handling package) only car it took on a slightly different character in my mind, than with the big blue decals, but I liked it just the same.

I believe a 1980 trim tag will have Z29 on it where 02BLK is on the tag pictured above. Or try to find the build sheet.

You should have black headlight rings, black window trim and side mirrors. also black trim on the taillights instead of chrome. Those things usually stay intact even when the decals are stripped and the car is repainted.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Re: spider decals

Postby Len » Tue May 27, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks Marco,
There is no doubt that this car is a spider, as it has all the things you mentioned other than the decals and the trim tag has only the # 29 on it (pic). and according to the int and ext colors this car requires the orange decal pkg. and I really don't think one of those would be available soon. But paint is an option.
I posed the question in the general forum re the orange pkg if any one had a pic or seen one. Only 1 person out of the few that posted said they had a pic maybe. Cant remember who it was at this time ? But I was hoping that I could see what it should look like from the factory. So I could decide on what direction to go on this body.
If you have any suggestion on where I might be able to find a pic of this would be great and very appreciated .
Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist