"Astre GT" What Year Is It ?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: "Astre GT" What Year Is It ?

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:27 pm

HI WINDING MONZA wrote:Just a thought Steve, the first 57 Chevy " sedan" ever built (000001) second body off the line( 000002 ) with a 6 and 3 on the tree, sold at Barrett- Jackson last week for 165K !
Doug in AZ 8)
Uhhh ... did you also see that the first production Thunderbird ever built went for MUCH MORE at $600,000?

Josh is right - your Astre should built enjoy, not as an investment. Only the early Vega has a chance of being worth something in the future.
Although, after wathcing the auction on TV and seeing lower prices, those early Vegas that sold for $8,000 or so last year seem like too much money now.

cammerjeff wrote:No you read that correctly, 8-74 would be the 1st month of production for the 75 MY (model year) Depending on the plant they would have at least a 1 week shutdown either the last 1/2 of july, or the 1st 1/2 of august for model year change over.
Jeff,
My 1976 Vega has a late production sequence number and a 2nd week of August (or fourth week, CRS :? ) according to the trim tag. Considering that there were no real changes to the 1977 from the 1976, I guess they could just keep pumping them out without the 1-week shutdown to change tooling. But, then you have to consider all of the other H-Bodies that were built at Lordstown, too. If any one of them required major tooling changes then it would affect all models. So, perhaps the factory shut down in July only when there were MAJOR updates to the models or new car lines being built.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:49 pm

Tom, I heard mention of that one, but sitting there watching for hours on end, I must of missed that one. ( I really dont like Fords anyway. But the yellow Boss 302 was a real nice car for a Ford :D )

I really disagree with Josh, :( that low of a serial number should NEVER be "hacked up" in to anything ,no matter what kind of car or truck it is. There are plenty of others to use first. :rolleyes:

This Astre will be worth something in the much, much, much later "future ", but not now.

I know if I owned it , it would be in 100% correct restored condition eventuly. ( Steve , hold on to that thought!) Seeing your work , it wouldnt be too hard or costly.

Doug in AZ 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Badsunbird » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Hey Guy's......

I'm not trying to make a fortune off of this car by any means ! I know that it might be historical in our realms only ! It takes a different breed to actually enjoy these little cars. I mean come on, it is nice to have a dream ! It is going to be ALONG time before I ever have time to get to this car ! I am way into deep with the "SunBird", and I have to keep that in focus ! I was only speculating what could possibly happen to this car ! I don't ever intend on it ever being of "Barret-Jackson" quality !!! Just strictly speculation here !!! I am not by any means being unrealistic, I'm not trying to make a $165,000 off of this car! Who is to say though in the "future", (just for fun), $5000.00, $10,000.00, $15,000, that is still a price for a piece of history for a car that we are all in love with ! This might be a piece of history here, just like some of the others !
Last edited by Badsunbird on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza
75 Pontiac Astre GT #00002

"Bigger Than Some & Stronger Than Most"
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby v8astregt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:17 am

Just for the record, I never said anything about "hacking" this car up. I'm just saying don't build it with dollar signs in your eyes, since with the cost of finding the right parts to build a concourse resto, you'd be at a huge loss. It'd be one of those cars the guys yakking away on Speed would talk about being a car you'd want to buy already done... since it would cost too much to restore.

And I've never been a proponent of just hacking stuff up. Heck, even my car isn't hacked up. That's why I bought the Kammback, it's a $100 car I have no guilt over cutting the crap out of it.

But with Badsunbird's car... a nice little Ecotec 4 would be a blast.... maybe the Redline/GXP turbo motor?? :D
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Badsunbird » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am

Josh,

I am envious of what you have already, It would be sweet to do to what you have done to yours, But I myself just cannot do anything to this car except restore it to stock, it would be senseless to alter something of this nature. I suppose that I could do an "all bolt in" , why not?

Besides that, Your numbers are just cooler than S#@& also ! 112233 , Come on ? How much cooler can that be out of all of us spread out over this many countries & continents, that You & I happen to have these two "Unique" numbers ? And Cars That Are Almost Identical As Well ?
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza
75 Pontiac Astre GT #00002

"Bigger Than Some & Stronger Than Most"
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist