HM07 = Sunbird 2 Door Hatchback

7 = Lordstown , Ohio Assembly Plant

519787= Production Sequence

62G = Carmel Tan cloth and vinyl interior

50L+ 50U = Yellow paint

75AL = Red Stripe Package?

43-3934 ?

52,952 made of this model (M07) 82,132 total Hatchbacks produced in 1980

187,979 total Sunbirds produced in 1980 ( coupes and hatchbacks)
Doug in AZ 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Re: So what the heck did I buy

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Heres your paint, Len ............................................................................. Doug in Az 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby joe350gt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 pm

Prestige Pontiac isn't around anymore. It was owned by Les Donovan who was a state rep in Topeka. There's a Donovan Pontiac GMC just down the street from where Prestige was. They are both out on W. Kellogg (US Hwy. 54)

Joe
joe350gt

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Len » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Wow thanks DougI can never seem to make head or tails of the body tag Numbers . The paint chip and the color of the car now seem identical, But I'll bet the paint chip has more shine and depth than my computor shows. Here is a little some thing that I have for the car.
file-1.jpeg
file-2.jpeg
file.jpeg

Now All I need is the rear taillight surround and some paint should look pretty good.

Or I could go to the 2 head light monza look front and rear ?????

Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:29 am

My Sunbird and my Astre both have the 'Formula' steering wheel. Neither of them are Formulas.
Len wrote:Now All I need is the rear taillight surround and some paint should look pretty good.
Looks like you already have it. Why would you need another one? :o :?
Len wrote:Or I could go to the 2 head light monza look front and rear ?????
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :shock:
Keep your Sunbird uniquely Pontiac. 8)
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby patrick1151 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:20 am

the taillight panel on the car has had it. The plastic is broken in places and deteriorating. The license plate holder or braket is completely gone.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 pm

You have to go north of the border to find intact tail panels.

Mine came from near Ottawa. (Thanks Yvan!)
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Len » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 am

You know I was actually looking for a solid plain jane 2 headlight monza hatch with papers for some time when this one came into the picture and I bought it really for the solid shell and doors and the bumpers. The rest was just a bonus. I have given this thought and bounced back and forth on what to do and I came to this ! If someone has a 2 headlight Monza in the condition that I'm looking for I would consider a trade. Although I do like the look of the Sunbird it is really not what I had in mind . The only reason I'm putting this out there is this is a rare Specimen of a Sunbird and it is not a formula as the build sheet does not show the w66 option but it does show all the other options that are on this car so this is an all original car. It would be perhaps a shame to alter this car to my liking but I can live with it as It has been a long time coming, for me to just have enough parts to put together what my original idea of my what my h should look like and have in it.
I'm hoping that you all can understand that I really have a love for a H 's and that is why I am presenting this to you if there are no takers in the next couple of days I'm going to start on my dream H .

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 am

Len, it's your car, do what you want. I never liked the Sunbird nose although I love the Trans Am nose which is similar. IMO the Sunbird is to narrow to pull off the TA style nose. I guess you could keep the purists happy if you kept the original parts and didn't hack the car up to where it couldn't be put back to original someday.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:24 am

I'd buy the nearly identical formula from that other thread, and make 2 twins, one stock, one evil. with 15"WS6 Snowflakes ect.

Another thing you could do, fix up the bird a bit with some formula decals, a rear tail panel and spoiler., and sell it for more than you paid for it, and buy an even better 2 headlight monza.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Len » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:50 pm

Hey Marco if some one knows where I can find an intact rear taillight surround I might be swayed to build a Formula and go from there but to try to find two of them would be very difficult. The Forumla on craigs list out this way appears, from the pics posted looks to be in really tough shape. I am not able to cross the border so I cannot go see this car. But if someone here is willing to go and look at this car for me a take some good snaps I might consider it. How ever the logistics of getting it here verses the cost might make it unreason able . I suppose I could offer the red restoorable spider as a form of payment
as this to is a limited production car .
I'm just throwing Ideas around if anybody has input don't hesitate to pipe in As most of you know I do have many parts cars and parts as I've been at this for about 15 years and only driven an H for about 5 of them so I'm sure you all can understand were I am coming from.
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:15 pm

spyder_xlch wrote:Len, it's your car, do what you want.
Len, I agree. It is your car - do what you want.
I am not a purist, but a fan of the unique look of Pontiac.
spyder_xlch wrote:I never liked the Sunbird nose although I love the Trans Am nose which is similar. IMO the Sunbird is to narrow to pull off the TA style nose. I guess you could keep the purists happy if you kept the original parts and didn't hack the car up to where it couldn't be put back to original someday.
Wow, those are harsh words, Matt. But, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.
Here is my opinion:
Matt, you are consistent, though : Monza = plastic nose, Firebird = plastic nose. You probably dislike the Sunbirds's chrome bumper more than the nose. You would probably like the J-Body Sunbird, then.
The front-end on the Sunbird was designed by Pontiac to make it uniquely Pontiac - to separate it from the Monza and Chevrolet. It was not necessarily designed to look like a Firebird. Pontiac has had a split grill design on all of their cars since 1959. To do that and use four rectangular headlights - which were new in the mid 70's - is what your get with the Sunbird. To me, it doesn't look that much like the 76-77 Firebird.

Len wrote:If someone has a 2 headlight Monza in the condition that I'm looking for I would consider a trade.
Len,
There has been yellow 305 Monza for sale for too much at $2000 appearing regularly on Seattle cragislist for several months.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/996489777.html
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby EagleFish » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Len,

Richard might be interested. He wants a 'Bird, preferably a Formula, but this might work for him. He has about 18 h-body cars including a least one V8 two headlight nose Monza. The only obstacle that I see is that he is in Florida. The cost to ship a car that distance is at least $1500-$2000.

Here is his telephone #: 352-567-3826

John (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Tom, I do not like the J-body but the nose is better looking IMO. There's no doubt the H-bodies have some F-body styling. I do like the uniqueness of the Pontiac split grill, I just don't think the H-body Sunbird pulls it off very well. I love the Astre nose. Maybe if the Sunbird used 2 rectangle lights instead of 4 the grill openings would be longer and look better to me. The height and width are out of proportion to me. The Firebird's "beak" is angled more.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Len » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm

res0o7eb it funny you mention that I was watching that car for a while and thought a bout making an inquire about it but when I started to look at the Sunbird it fell off of craigs list so I ended up making a offer om the Bird and it was accepted so my hand were tied .

Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

PreviousNext

Return to Factory Original Purist