Buick NightHawk & Free Spirit Factory Drawings

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Buick NightHawk & Free Spirit Factory Drawings

Postby stage169 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:56 pm

=
Last edited by stage169 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stage169

Postby stage169 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 pm

=
Last edited by stage169 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stage169

Postby miragezx1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:37 pm

I am now finally going through my storage units and guess what? I found 6 NOS boxes of decals for the nighthawk. I believe I only have about half of the decals but maybe the remainder could be done up at a local graphic shop. My Skyhawk is Red so I will not use these. I will keep looking to see if I have more.
miragezx1

Postby fyrftr50 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Nice find, hardly a surprise considering the stuff I know you've acquired over the years (including some items you outbid me on ebay for, lol). They probably won't be good enough for mounting themselves (adhesive just doesn't have a shelf life of 30+ years) but they could certainly be used to make copies, no question, that is what I did with a set of Spyder decals years back.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby miragezx1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 am

Well, the laugh is really on me - because I originally bought the Nighthawk decals off of Hemmings many years ago, placed them into storage along with other NOS stuff that I got either from the dealer or at Daytona Turkey Run. Then when I started resto - modding my Skyhawk I could not get to them because they were towards the back of my storage. So, I had to buy more stuff off of EBay. Now, I have just about completed my Skyhawk finally after 20 some years of owning it . I hope I can come across more of the decals, but I do not know. I did come across a suitcase yesterday full of more NOS boxes with emblems and one centercap for the Skyhawk (New) plus two use Sunbird centercaps. I can look towards the back and see my NOS Mirage front air dam and I know also that I have 2 used Mirage fender kits back there also somewhere, plus wheels, seats, v8 springs, etc, etc.
But, do you think that the 3m tape can be reproduced to change to gold when light hits it? Like the originals.
miragezx1

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:27 am

miragezx1 wrote:But, do you think that the 3m tape can be reproduced to change to gold when light hits it? Like the originals.

You'd think that with todays technology you could redo anything that was done a few decades back. There's a big 3m plant here in town, I'll have to see if I know someone who knows someone that work's there. I'd love to hear what a decal/ vinyl graphics place says about reproducing them.

I could use those pontiac center caps, if there for the snowflakes..
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby fyrftr50 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:18 pm

miragezx1
OK, now your just bragging (that list if NOS stuff) :P
Absolutely 3M or any decal maker has what you would need for a nighthawk decal. They are already around in one shape or form already. Just look at the stealth police cars out there. Decals almost impossible to see during the day but light up like Christmas in the light. Anyways, i was ordering decals for my 98 Firebird and one of the options was a gold decal that did just this, exactly like the nighthawk, so it is available, no question.

By the way, if you have 1 side of the car's worth of night decals, then you don't need the other side, easly done with a computer program.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby miragezx1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the info - I just got so happy to see that old stuff again, I could hardly contain myself - so I guess I did somewhat brag . However, as soon as I determine that I have found all that I have I will probably put the decals up for sale, but let the buyer know that it is not a complete set. Since my Skyhawk is red I will not need them, but it would sure be Kool on a nice restored Nighthawk.
miragezx1

Postby fyrftr50 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm

That restored Nighthawk could have been mine too. I was outbid at the last minute on an ebay Night Hawk years back. I contacted the buyer hoping to stay in touch in case he sold down the road, he told me he would let me know if it ever came to that. Found out he sold the car a few weeks later but do you think he ever gave me a heads' up? Boy was i pissed!!! of course he didn't have the guts to respond to my email when i inquired as to why he never let me know, despite his claims that he would do so.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist