Spiral Shocks?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Spiral Shocks?

Postby Jitterbugdude » Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 am

Currently on my unrestored 72 Vega Wagon are a set of spiral shocks. I have, in storage, a pair of NOS GM shocks. These are not the spiral type. Is there one shock style that is more "original" than the other, or did both types come out of Lordstown?
Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Re: Spiral Shocks?

Postby 73Vegaguy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 am

The spiral shocks were factory issue, but I've never seen Vega replacement shocks that were of the spiral design. The replacement GM shocks I have seen are of better quality and are painted different colors than the assembly-line units. I have seen replacement spiral shocks for a Corvair, though.
73Vegaguy

Postby BillPappy » Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 am

73Vegaguy wrote:The spiral shocks were factory issue, but I've never seen Vega replacement shocks that were of the spiral design. The replacement GM shocks I have seen are of better quality and are painted different colors than the assembly-line units. I have seen replacement spiral shocks for a Corvair, though.

( I have seen replacement spiral shocks for a Corvair) I bet thats been a few years back. :wink:
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby Jitterbugdude » Wed May 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks guys!

What color were the original spiral shocks?

Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Postby BillPappy » Wed May 06, 2009 5:38 pm

black
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby kgroombr » Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 pm

It is cool to find somebody else doing a restoration. I also have a 72 wagon. Hope to have it running in a couple months. Hope to have some pics that are worth posting in the Project Journal in a few weeks.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Jitterbugdude » Thu May 07, 2009 7:05 am

Ken, I'm just.. s l o w l y ... starting my restoration. I want to restore it to original factory condition. I even have a 30# can of R-12 Freon so I'll be using that instead of R-134. The exhaust system is in good shape but I was thinking of taking it somewhere and have a stainless steel system bent for it. I want to keep it as original as possible but at the same time I'm not going to worry about restoring it 100% correct! Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Postby kgroombr » Thu May 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Mine is super slow as well.

I am trying to do this on a budget, but also do it correctly. I luckily found a 6.5 HP 10 CFM @ 90 PSI 33 Gal compressor for $50. It wasn't working, but when I got it home all that was wrong was the plug was incorrectly wired. I need it to do media blasting, cutting panels, and primer/paint.

Another problem is two jobs. I work Monday - Friday from 6AM to 10PM. My weekends are off, but have to do other tasks as well and spend time with the family. Second job is temporary as I am helping out a business until they can hire someone to replace me.

I posted pics of my cars in the "Garage" today so you can check it out.

My biggest problem on my 72 is the front window channel is rusted out. I have a donor car that has a pretty solid window channel (at least no rust through) that I will cut out and put on this one. I have somebody that has done this kind of work coming over to help me out, but I would like to do it myself.

Good luck on yours. I have a journal I have started with misc. info that I learn/find so that I can post it for others after I get it cleaned up.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Jitterbugdude » Thu May 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Probably a good idea... I should start a journal!....soon
Jitterbugdude

Return to Factory Original Purist