Color of GT wheels

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Color of GT wheels

Postby kgroombr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Argent is definitely NOT the color. I found an Argent wheel paint at a local auto parts store and tried it. It is almost silver. Just to be sure, I did some research. Argent wheel paint was used by GM, Mopar and Ford. I found a source for GM Argent paint. I had to order it on-line from a Corvette auto supply source. Kinda pricey (nearly $10 a can).

Anyway, it looks a bit different than the one I purchase from the local auto parts store, but still nearly silver.

argent-wheel.JPG

The picture provided by gotmud7 with the Cooper Cobra Radial GT tire looks like the correct color.

Anybody else have an idea?

Thanks,
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 am

I have a 1976 PPG color chip chart which states a Dark Gray wheel color: DDL-32961. I did a quick Google search, and it was discussed as the correct color on nastyz28.com and an El Camino board. You may not be able to get lacquer where you live anymore, but they may have a replacement available. Many paint suppliers can mix a color and put it in an aerosol spray can.

For those interested, the PPG color code for gold Cosworth wheels is DDL-82347.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby kgroombr » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:05 am

cosvega76 wrote:I have a 1976 PPG color chip chart which states a Dark Gray wheel color: DDL-32961.

Chuck

In my searching I found that too. Although my goal is a true restoration, I am just going to try a couple charcoal gray wheel paints and compare to see which one is closer.

Thanks,
Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby HotfootGT » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:12 am

73 GT Wheel from the brochure

I painted Little Buddy's wheels body color. I bought them off a junkyard Skyhawk
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist