Keeping the original factory paint..how?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Keeping the original factory paint..how?

Postby Jitterbugdude » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:16 am

Hey guys, its going to be another year or so before I am ready to address the paint issues on my Vega but thought I'd seek advice now. For the most part, my Vega has about 90% of the original paint but I'll need to fix some rust in the windshield area and near one of the doors. Any ideas on how to paint these sections so I can get them to blend in with the original paint? I believe the original paint was laquer and I'm guessing that even if I went to a paint store with my paint code that it probably wouldn't help. Any ideas?.. I'd really like to keep the original paint and not have to repaint the entire car!
Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Re: Keeping the original factory paint..how?

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 pm

Check with your paint supplier, lacquer may still be available. I know I can get it on a special-order basis here in Illinois. California has completely banned it, so it depends on where you live.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby v8astregt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Get to be buddies with people into paint. I am, and I can get lacquer with no issues. 8)

But lacquer is a super easy paint to work with. The cowl is a perfect spot to blend. Just bring them a sample of the paint if you can somehow, which might be an issue since there's not gas door to take off to remove. But once they have it matched decently, then you can spray the affected area after you fix it, then blend into the original paint area using an overreduced mixture. I like using lacquer since you can lay it on much drier than a BC/CC paintjob, and it's harder to get it to run. Then sand, and buff!
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 pm

You can take them your paint code and many colors, but not all, can still be mixed in the new BC/CC paint. If you can get lacquer by all means do so since it is easier to use at home. It easiest to blend the color into the surrounding area and then clear coat the whole cowl. Then you can wet sand and buff it. You can also wet sand BC/CC but it is a little harder because of the hardeners used in these paint. Dupli-Color has some on the lacquer paints including clear at most major auto parts stores. It's all premixed ready to spray.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Jitterbugdude » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks guys..laquer it is!.. I painted many a car in laquer (about 25 years ago). Never knew about using an over-reduced mixture for blending purposes.I just hope I can get someone to mix me a color that is close to what I have.. Thanks.. Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Return to Factory Original Purist