H-Body PRODUCTION NUMBERS ... by RPO Codes

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

H-Body PRODUCTION NUMBERS ... by RPO Codes

Postby fyrftr50 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Have you ever needed to know how many 1977 Skyhawks came equipped weith C06 Astroroofs? or how many 1979 Starfires were ordered with monaural AM/FM radios, or 1976 Monzas came equipped with 305 V8 engines? or anything else even more obscure like radio delete, quiet sound group, cabriolet roof covers, etc, etc (I could go on and on) ???

Well, I just went through tonnes of information given to me by Brian J. (stage169) and have uploaded it online for anyone to check out.

I've got Monza numbers (except for 1975), Skyhawk (except 1978 & 79) and Starfire (all years). Still working on Sunbird. Not just basic total production numbers but breakdowns by RPO Codes ... yes, breakdowns by RPO Codes !!!!!!!!!

http://monza.homestead.com/Production.html

I have to say though, this undertaking is not to my credit (I just did the easy stuff), it must go to Brian, who tirelessly get these figures from GM Heritage and The Sloan Museum and he's still working on filling the blanks and getting Pontiac Sunbird numbers as well. Hopefully we'll have something for you shortly.

CHEERS!!!!!

... moderators, any chance this can get stickied???
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: H-Body PRODUCTION NUMBERS ... by RPO Codes

Postby Len » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:24 am

Wow !!!! that is a lot of info to put on a spread . Don't see a smiie that fits not that I now how to use them. But oncw=e again thanks for you efforts and time to the cause. To all that helped
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby gerbsinmd » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:23 am

thats amazing! :dance:
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks guys.

I'll clear up a few questions/concerns that I know will pop up, lol.

Unfortunately for whatever reason, some RPO Codes were not included in any of the lists I have and in some other instances we have numbers for some codes for some years but not for others. Go figure, Brian and I have talked at length about it but just plain don't get it.

As for the red totals, yeah, I just haven't gotten around to adding up other totals. For the most part, the totals I made were to see if partucular groupings of numbers (exterior paint for example) would add up to the car production totals. As you can see, some did but a lot didn't, and by huge amounts too, unexplainable really. The red totals are things I'll still be working on, these are by no means finished.

And for the Skyhawk numbers, I still have a bunch to add to the list, not single RPO Codes but there are some multiple Code numbers (C06 and exterior paint totals for example). Unfortunately the Starfire and Monza ones are all but done. Missing the last page of the 1979 report which happenes to include the missing number of Firethorn Cabroilet roof covers.

For Starfire, the reports I have were actually percentages of total production, not actual production numbers themsleves. I had to do the math with each and every percentage for each and every year ... now that was a pain in the ass!!!!

The Monza numbers actually include ALL models from 76-80, not just the Monza, so I do have Vega numbers that I can and will put together ... for 1976 and 77.

As always, if anyone sees ways of improving it or adding to it, let me know, I don't mind an extra set of eyes doing some work for me.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

Wow, this is really good work, guys.
I have a very rare H-Body - the ONLY 1976 Skyhawk without the door handle tape. :D
A couple of things:
1. The Sunbird Hatchback production numbers don't add up right.
2. My 1978 Monza is Bright Blue (24U/24L) over Blue(24V), but also has a 24X on the trim tag.
garage.php?mode=view_image&image_id=1444
I did not see a 24X in the RPO codes(I might have missed it).
Any idea what this is? My guess is that it is something blue. :D

OK, on this page - http://monza.homestead.com/files/RPOcodes.htm, I found this:
24X Blue Coloured Appointments with White Interior - Sunbird (1978) / Big 4 Blue - Skyhawk (1979)
Not sure what "Blue Coloured Appointments" are, though. Anyway, this RPO applies to the Monza as well.
Other codes in that list with an X suffix indicate carpet color.
Not sure why that would need to be on the body trim tag, though.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:07 am

res0o7eb wrote:Wow, this is really good work. guys.

My 1978 Monza is Bright Blue (24U/24L) over Blue(24V), but also has a 24X on the trim tag.
I did not see a 24X in the RPO codes(I might have missed it). Any idea what this is? My guess is that it is something blue. :D

Yes. its the "Big 4" code. On a buildsheet you'll see for example "24X Big 4 Blue"

Its an interior code, for cars that had a 2 tone interior availability.(White + accent color) (Models without 2 tone option dont list this on the buildsheet)

The Big 4 included the Dash, Kick panels, Console, & Carpets, including the hatchback floor, and side carpets, the bumper jack cover and some carpeting on the back of the rear seat (and the metal flap too).

For example a 2 tone interior will list white code #11V for the interior color, but the Big 4 # is 19X (black).
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:32 am

Marco,
My 78 Monza Spyder is not a two-tone. It is all light blue - what's left of it.
What was white and what was blue in this 'Big 4' option?
Oh, I see. My Monza isn't really a two-tone 'Big 4', because the interior color and the 'Big 4' color are both 24.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby stage169 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Bryan, NICE JOB! Team work, thanks and I know you have certainly put in your time.

I like your H body drawings with each make and different wheels.

The hunt goes on, Brian
stage169

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah, I'm really happy with the different cars I made up for the production page. I didn't just want a generic h-body profile for each considering the importance of the information I would be posting. It took some time making those up what with my lack of any experience working with opaint programs, but i'm really impressed with it. the Sunbird was the real pain in the butt though, had lots of mods to make there.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

76/77 VEGA numbers by RPO Code

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:02 pm

OK, for you Vega guys, here is the 1976 and '77 information on an excel spreadsheet.

http://monza.homestead.com/files/VegaProduction7677.htm
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Great work Bryan, but why no 75's ? Maybe they are just soooooo special :lol:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby stage169 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:07 pm

I think we are all special.... I mean the cars. :wink:

Hopefully all the missing info will show up soon. I know Bryan wants to see how many RoadHawks were made for 79 and so do I.

We could come up with most of the 75 Chevy info from the 76 report. There is a column on each Chevy report for "Available Prior Year". It gives a % and for 75 the Grand Total for Monza's is 136,203 and 15% had the RPO 13L for Silver. So if I did the math right that means 20,430 Monza's for 75 were Silver. Bryan if you want to use that I'll start on it?

Some of the odd stuff is stuck in my head like the two tire options for the 75 Skyhawk. 14" tires?? I noticed on your site you didn't list them this way. We will probably never see a build sheet that shows either but then I never thought I would see a NightHawk build sheet or a yellow 80 DAE SkyHawk either. You just never know what might show up.
stage169

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:27 pm

I'd thought about doing it that way, and it could be a last resort but there are a few unreadable numbers, a lot that are "n/a" and a lot of just plain even numbers (no idea how they rounded but a lot of them are even 2% or $29%, nothing like $4.7, etc) which could really skew the final tallies so I'm hesitant to go this route right now. I'd rather wait it out for a while and see if anything real pops up in the meantime (besides, I'm still spent from the Starfire percentage tallies :P )

Which tires are you refering to? on my RPO COde list or the Production lists?
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Unfortunately the 78 Monza Advance Ordering Guides don't show RPO codes for interiors like the Pontiac product manuals so can't give you definites on the 24V or 24X. I just know that for blue interiors, there was all-vinyl sport and custom interiors, all-vinyl standard interiors and cloth and vinyl sport and custom interiors, as well as the white all-vinyl with blue accents. i could tell you which you had based upon the pattern of the vinyl but no RPO Code breakdown for that year unfortunately. But ... getting the cloth or vinyl pattern of the seats, and using your trim tag could identify a couple codes for me I suppose, a build sheet copy would be sweet too.

I'm still working on all the interior codes, it really is very confusing and until I can get the proper factory issued materials, I'm at a loss for certain years and models.

What Sunbird hatchback numbers are not adding up???

res0o7eb wrote:Wow, this is really good work, guys.
I have a very rare H-Body - the ONLY 1976 Skyhawk without the door handle tape. :D
A couple of things:
1. The Sunbird Hatchback production numbers don't add up right.
2. My 1978 Monza is Bright Blue (24U/24L) over Blue(24V), but also has a 24X on the trim tag.
I did not see a 24X in the RPO codes(I might have missed it).
Any idea what this is? My guess is that it is something blue. :D

OK, on this page - http://monza.homestead.com/files/RPOcodes.htm, I found this:
24X Blue Coloured Appointments with White Interior - Sunbird (1978) / Big 4 Blue - Skyhawk (1979)
Not sure what "Blue Coloured Appointments" are, though. Anyway, this RPO applies to the Monza as well.
Other codes in that list with an X suffix indicate carpet color.
Not sure why that would need to be on the body trim tag, though.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Hmmm, maybe the Towne Coupe came in silver but there was no silver for 1975 on the hatchbacks. Closest would be my medium Graystone Metallic code 16.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Next

Return to Factory Original Purist