H-Body PRODUCTION NUMBERS ... by RPO Codes

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: H-Body PRODUCTION NUMBERS ... by RPO Codes

Postby SunbirdMan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:34 pm

fyrftr50 wrote:... If yours is a 262 V8 then they are pretty common anyways, ...

I don't see any driving around my town.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby robsta11111 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 pm

So are there any numbers on the 75's? I have a 1975 Monza 2+2. Factory v8/4 speed/air conditioned car. I have dug all thru the i-net and can't find any info on how many were made.
a true hot rodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick, that the very act of pressing the throttle, would result in instant death
robsta11111

Postby fyrftr50 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Not much is out there for the 1975 Monzas. Here is what little is known ...

http://monza.homestead.com/files/HBodyP ... bersWP.htm

Also ... of the U.S. built Monzas in '75 - 41,658 L4's (1 and 2 bbl carb 2.3Ls) and 24,957 V8's (262 and 350)
... of the Canadian built Monzas in '75 - 26,829 L4's (1 and 2 bbl carb 2.3Ls) and 42,759 V8's (262 and 350)

Totals - L4s - 68,487
V8s - 67,716 (262 V8 - 64,191 & 350 V8 - 3,699 - these numbers come from GM but they don't add up to the totals, also from GM)

Why there are 174 more V8s listed than in the totals???
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:46 pm

TO: Bryan and Brian:

I recall a few years ago Brian showed me evidence that there was one Skyhawk built with a 350 (probably Buick?) engine...

Has any more info come to light on that one? Probably was an executive's car, I would imagine.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby fyrftr50 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Unfortunately nothing other than the one hint of it in the production figures Brian procured from somewhere.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby stage169 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 pm

My last resto pack I tried hard again. The report shows a L77 engine RPO that I think would be a 4bbl engine. Here are my emails.

John,

Thank you for the recent information on my 1977 Buick Skyhawk. I have three 77 Skyhawks and this makes the third Build / Option information I've gotten from VVS.

I plan on going to a local Buick dealership and let them contact VVS for the key codes. My recent Skyhawk was sold at a police auction and I did not get keys!

Over the last seven years I've researched these cars a lot and lucked into some interesting information. My hope is to someday find out about the only 1977 Skyhawk built with a Buick 350 V8 engine. I've been told before that VVS only researches information by VIN but if there is someway possible to find information on this car I would pay for it! The RPO for the engine is L77, it also is the only 77 Skyhawk that had the exterior color 72 which is listed as a special red just for other Buick models. It also had a targa band RPO BW5.

This information all came from the Sloan Museum which has the 1977 Buick Skyhawk Domestic and Export car report. It's a Buick document so I would believe the information to be true! So much of the information matches up to the Build / Option information VVS has supplied to me and my friends. I would guess that the VIN would be like this - 4S07J727xxxx1 This report also includes RPO codes that I have been unable to find info on. If you could help just tell me the price =)

Brian, John asked me to reply to your request. Unfortunately we are not equipped to do research and we did not build any V8 buicks in Ste, Therese in 1977, so it was probably a US built car. Again the Sloan Museum seems to be your best bet, we only document individual cars for their owners

Thanks and regards:

George Zapora
General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7

George / John,

No disrespect intended but I could only imagine that business would be better for VVS if research could be done. I see a lot of your reports at the Mecum auction and that is great proof of authenticity for that car. General facts and information should be a bonus too but then I'm not in your business and maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

According to the 1977 Buick document you did build a V8 Buick Skyhawk at Ste, Therese. According to the Buick document all 1977 Buick H bodies were built at Ste, Therese.

I have been to the Sloan museum and gone through their micro film. Unfortunately they do not have the 1977 micro film for the H body.

Apparently all you need for VVS to send you information is a VIN and money. No proof of ownership.

Is there anyway you could discount the authenticity of this document? If you are even interested or care please look at this information. My recent Build / Option information from VVS included the total amount of Skyhawks built with the option WH2 at 385. The same number this document has and thanks to this document I know that 261 of the Free Spirit options were black decals and that 124 were white decals. There are four more pages of this document.

I'm just like a lot of other people a car enthusiast. Plain and simple I enjoy the facts. That L77 RPO means something. Every other second generation H body like the Skyhawk had a V8 engine. The Buick V6 dimensions are the same as the Buick V8 except for the obvious. All the accessories and brackets would fit on both engines. This Buick Skyhawk is a piece of history!

LD5 is the V6 even fire engine. LD7 is the V6 odd fire engine. L77 is the 350ci V8 engine. You can see these RPO's on this report. At the top you will notice the Month To Date and Year To Date columns. Ste, Therese is the only plant there the other columns are there to show additional plants and since they are empty that tells me only one thing.

George I guess there is nothing like rehashing this every so many years. I promise that I won't email on this subject again.

Best regards:

Brian Jackson

Brian, again I have checked the option penetration reports and no L77 production exists. A lot of times a dummy line would be created if they thought of producing a certain option, but in this case there is no L77 on our lists. The jpg's that you sent are based on US sales. We are all enthusiasts but there us only so much that can be offered in a cost effective manner, at least we kept records so that some info is available, that is about the best we can do.

Thanks and regards:

George Zapora
General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7

George, thanks for checking.

There is no doubt the jpg's I sent are Numbers produced for U.S. sale in Canada.

I know the total number produced in Canada is 28,868 and that 643 were for overseas export sale. The report I have also mentions the L77 on another line with a code of ACD L32 + L77 = 1

If you think about it check your option penetration report for 72U or 72L. Not a 1977 Skyhawk color but it shows 1 made. Wild guess its the same hawk with the 350 V8. Sounds just like what a car manufacturer would do when stepping out of the box a little.

At least you did keep records, I never give up. Brian

Below is a response from years ago when I first sent the report to him asking about the grouped RPO codes and the L77. No meaning :D come on!

Sorry Brian but those would be sales codes, no listing of what they mean, They could refer to marketing programs or delivery schedules. No idea what L77 is doing there, that is problem when someone gives you data that has no meaning....

Thanks and regards:

George Zapora
General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7
stage169

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:28 pm

That all makes me think even more that it was an exec's car, maybe not even built right on the line but in a special engineering section. Possibly on a Saturday? :D Just guessing. Maybe it was an engineering exercise that (obviously) never went into production.

Seems like an unlikely "mistake" to have happened in paperwork. Somewhere, somehow, that car had a 350 installed, possibly against plant or GM rules, and sneaked out the back door.

Wonder if it has survived? I'd say the odds are against it.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby stage169 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 am

True, and I bet money there is more to the story at Vintage Vehicle Services. There are fourteen RPO's/codes on the report that show only 1.

Some you can tell its the same car and one of them is AAJ FLEET O. Maybe that is how they squeeked it through being a fleet optioned car? It will make a better story if we can ever find all the facts about it. I'm always looking :D

Brian
stage169

Postby beposative » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 pm

75 monza Why is it I can,t find info on this year? I own a 75 monza factory v8 close ratio 4 speed pozi and I can,t find out how many were built this year? Dave
beposative

Postby fyrftr50 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 pm

For some reason, the numbers we got from GM have the 75 Vega and Monza together with a lot of the RPO codes, with no way of separating them and figuring out each option for the Vega and the Monza. So other than general production figures, there is little to no breakdown of production figures by options.

Right now, this is the best we can get ... http://monza.homestead.com/Production.html
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Dave the complete 75 report here if you are interested. Brian