Skyhawk & Monza design info

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Skyhawk & Monza design info

Postby stage169 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:11 pm

There is a very nice site on the internet called Dean’s Garage ( http://deansgarage.com ) Gary D. Smith is responsible for this site and was a Designer for Buick in the 70’s. To see all the design information on his site is mind boggling. There is a GM Design story on the Road Hawk there but it is not a positive reference. Performance image is what Gary likes and for someone who was there in the early 70’s with 455ci engines for Buick’s an inherited car from Chevy and the reintroduction of the Buick V6 just didn’t cut it for a performance image to him. Gary worked out of Buick Studio Two and it had responsibilites for the Skyhawk and Regal. Below he mentions how the Targa Band looks completely out of place. I’m sure he would of said more about it if he remembered but the Targa Band has to be the first unique Buick piece for the H body (besides the emblems) since some 75 models had them.

Gary is a full blooded car guy and is interested in the H body. He said if there was enough H design info it would make for an interesting post on his site. I emailed Pininfarina in April and May but haven’t received a response. I was hoping they might add some info. I did send him a link to a post here where you guys go over the design of the Monza viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25982&hilit=design+monza+design

Gary worked on all the Buick Pace cars and the Grand National. He doesn’t remember too much about the Skyhawk’s but here is what he does.

I do remember this story. Buick division wanted to have a brushed metal applique on the back between the taillights. I created a mock up using railroad board, brushed film, and chrome/white/black tape. We showed it to Buick in the styling garage. Anyway, they liked it, but didn't have the budget to make it a real part. So they reproduced my mock-up as a decal. No wonder GM lost its reputation.

If this is the applique, then they omitted the brushed part.

Buick omitted the brushed part after 75. The 75 applique is what Gary is talking about.

This is looking more familiar to me. I remember laying out the front wheel arch stripes. I probably did the whole thing patterned off of the pace car. These must be '77 models. I did the tailights on the '77 Electra. Ha. I do remember that Jerry Hirschberg gave me the task of doing something to the front to make it look like a Buick. I did the ice cube tray grill and divided the headlights. In production nothing was true or square.

I remember that the studio engineer, Ron Nowicki, bought a black Skywawk and blacked it out further. It looked pretty good and it was eventually shown to Buick management. Perhaps that was the beginning of the Nighthawk.

I found a couple of photos of the Nighthawk. That was based on Ron Nowicki's personal car. The stripe was reflective. I either did it or Don Johnson did it. I'm sure Ron's car didn't have that huge b-pillar molding. Looks completely out of place.

This photo was taken in Chevy 3 production studio (Corvette, Camaro). Of the group looking at the clay model, the third man in the open jacket is Hank Hega, who was the studio chief at the time (mid '70s). I recognize a few other faces. They were obviously struggling with the design of the bumpers. Production studios were upstairs, had high ceilings, and linoleum tiled floors.

This is probably Chevy 3 studio. That is a fastback Chevy A-body in the background, and photos of a Corvette prototype on the wall.

Maybe down the road some other information might come up. Thanks Gary!

Brian

8-12-10 I googled Ron Wonicki and found a reference to his Son at Specter Werkes/Sports. After emailing Specter I got a response from Matt Shipes. Matt has been nice enough to relay my questions and send pictures of Ron's Skyhawk. 1976 Black Skyhawk, Ron blacked out window frames, silver plastic wheel disk were painted gold, and gold skyhawk decals on the fenders.

Matt thanks for answering all my emails and Ron thank you for finding your pictures and sharing them! Brian

The trim around the tail lights has been blacked out also. I like the look but the production Nighthawk did not use it.

stage169

Re: Skyhawk & Monza design info

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Brian, Is there such a Hbody called a "Blackhawk" then? There is one on Ebay I found yesterday and posted in the Craigs/Ebay forum here.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=31481

Any info to shed light on the subject....................... :?:

Doug in Az 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby stage169 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:12 pm

I don't think so. The only info I have shows the Roadhawk and Designer Accent for 79 & 80. I see where someone asked about it but there is no real description of the Blackhawk option?

Q: BlackHawks have a color changing decal on the sides and across the rear deck. I don't see the decal in the pictures. were they removed? Aug-08-10
A: I believe you are refering to the Nighthawk Decal package, this is a Blackhawk It was a decal package, although a very unique one. You could hardly see the decals during the day, the decals looked run of the mill. But at night, when the light hit them it was SUPER REFLECTIVE and very interesting. I always though one would be fun to have tucked in the garage. AS far as collectible, not so much, maybe some more than the tyical one of these, but less than a Roadhawk.

I'm going to ask and see what he says. Brian
stage169

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Very cool thread - thanks for sharing this. The glass roof was the Skyhawk's best contribution is you ask me.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Brian how rare is a Skyhawk with a vinyl top?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31450&p=173702#p173702

Doug in Az 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby fyrftr50 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Finally added this info and pics to the Nighthawk page ... http://monza.homestead.com/nighthawk.html
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 pm

You've been busy Bryan your site looks GREAT!!! please keep up the GOOD work! Thanx Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SeniorSavage » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey Brian, I havent seen these scans I made anywhere yet on this MASSIVE forum so I thought I would just send them to you and you would know where they might be the most useful.

Thanks,
Sav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby fyrftr50 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Hey Sav
I have the Buick ones up already on my site but I found a number of front ends from other sources to show differences year-by-year. http://monza.homestead.com/clonestory.html

I haven't used the Monza ones though, not sure where I'd put them, but I will save the files you have here jsut in case. God knows I have enough H-Body info saved on my computer, you never know what tidbit or pic might be needed and when.

Thanks!
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Factory Original Purist