Original exhaust parts?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Original exhaust parts?

Postby marxx » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:15 pm

For the German license as "historical vehicle" my 79 Olds Starfire SX (305 v8) needs to be in a allmost near factory original state. I alllready wrote about the odyssey of getting the 13 inch rims and now it is time to start a new adventure ...

"Getting a new original exhaust system."

The previous owners of my starfire liked the v8 sound obviously a lot. They cut out the catalytic converter and the muffler, replaced everything by a simple straight pipe and a red balloon muffler. The result is that the car is very, very loud, very, very cool, but here very, very illegal :-)

Does anybody know a company, where I can order a complete original exhaust system? I found the catalytic converter at ebay and some smaller parts at rockauto, but had no luck on the pipes.

Any help is welcome.

Thanx and greetinx from the octoberfest.

Chris
1979 Oldsmobile Starfire SX
marxx

Re: Original exhaust parts?

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Aren't there any exhaust shops that can simply bend up a set of pipes? I have my original V8 Y pipe and exhaust pipe but it would be impossible to ship that to Germany, even shipping within the States would be tough.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Stevie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:34 am

Hallo Chris,

Du wirst es fast vergessen können, einen absolut originalen Auspuff für Deinen Monza zu bekommen. Aber wer soll denn auch wissen, wie ein originaler Auspuff aussieht ? Bei der Abnahme geht es doch eher darum, dass Dein Monza wieder leise wird und die roten Cherrybombs raus kommen.
Auch bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob es wirklich nötig ist, den Kat da drin zu haben (Deine Schadstoffklasse wird dadurch ja nicht verändert oder ähnliches).

Ich würde mich noch mal mit dem TÜV-Mann zusammen setzen und ihm sagen, dass es natürlich selbst in USA keine absoluten Originalauspuffanlagen mehr gibt. GM hat da schon lange nichts mehr und es gibt nur Universal- und Zubehördämpfer. Dann solltest Du Dir passende, richtige Schalldämpfer besorgen und die in Deine bestehende Anlage einbinden, damit Du auf die originalen Schallwerte (in etwa) kommst. Den Kat solltst Du wie gesagt nicht benötigen...

Ansonsten gibts auch noch andere TÜVs, die H-Abnahmen machen...

Gruß,
Steffen (der wohl bald seine orginal Auspuffanlage modifizieren wird und auch dabei den Kat heraus wirft..)
'75 Vega hatchback, bright yellow, mostly stock- except of 14'' Minilite wheels on 205/60 R 14, Grant steering wheel and some minor changes...
Stevie

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby marxx » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:55 am

I also thought about letting the pipes bend to rebuild the original system, but I hoped to get original ones somewhere. The pipes that are under the car now can't really be used as a model for bending new ones. Shipping should be possible for about 200 Dollar (I hope :-) ).

Does perhaps anybody have an assembly drawing with exact measurements of the exhaust system?

Thanx for your help and your suggestions.

Chris
marxx

Postby Bob Gumm » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:49 am

Here's a link to a page from a factory General Motors shop manual for the 1979 Monza. Note that the top of the page is for HA15 & 17 cars while the bottom section covers the HR07 & 27 cars. Yours is an HR07, so use the lower part of the page for your reference. Drawings can be misleading, so keep in mind that the exhaust hose runs along the passenger side of the driveshaft. It sits low in the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, and the catalytic converter is under the front passenger's feet and seat.

Except for the purists maybe, most owners will typically install a modern catalytic converter and possibly a performance version to free up some horsepower. You can fit a 2-1/2" to 3" exhaust system under the car without too much difficulty and so long as you run a turbo-style muffler it'll be pretty quiet (maybe a little throaty) and won't really get loud until you really throttle it up. I'm not sure about your emissions officials, but in the United States they don't usually worry about the sound of the exhaust so long as it's not too loud, looks factory, and it passes the emissions test.

Link to large image (2.88Mb): http://www.v8monza.com/images/tech/headers/exhaust-monza-79-v8-01.jpg

Good Luck,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:48 am

Stevie wrote:Hallo Chris,

Du wirst es fast vergessen können, einen absolut originalen Auspuff für Deinen Monza zu bekommen. Aber wer soll denn auch wissen, wie ein originaler Auspuff aussieht ? Bei der Abnahme geht es doch eher darum, dass Dein Monza wieder leise wird und die roten Cherrybombs raus kommen.
Auch bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob es wirklich nötig ist, den Kat da drin zu haben (Deine Schadstoffklasse wird dadurch ja nicht verändert oder ähnliches).

Ich würde mich noch mal mit dem TÜV-Mann zusammen setzen und ihm sagen, dass es natürlich selbst in USA keine absoluten Originalauspuffanlagen mehr gibt. GM hat da schon lange nichts mehr und es gibt nur Universal- und Zubehördämpfer. Dann solltest Du Dir passende, richtige Schalldämpfer besorgen und die in Deine bestehende Anlage einbinden, damit Du auf die originalen Schallwerte (in etwa) kommst. Den Kat solltst Du wie gesagt nicht benötigen...

Ansonsten gibts auch noch andere TÜVs, die H-Abnahmen machen...

Gruß,

What he said! :lol:

Chuck
Steffen (der wohl bald seine orginal Auspuffanlage modifizieren wird und auch dabei den Kat heraus wirft..)
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby marxx » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:05 am

@Bob: Thank you very much for your reply. The drawings are a very good starting point for rebuilding the exhaust.

I think there won't be to much trouble on emission or the sound, when the car is checked by the officals, but the way it is now is "no go".

@Chuck:

Sorry for that. Here is lecture 1 in "German for beginners" :D :

Hi Chris,

You can almost forget about getting a absolutely original exhaust for your Monza. But who would know how the original exhaust looked? At the licensing process it is more about having your Monza running quiet without the Cherrybombs. I'm not reallly sure if it is really necessary to have the catalytic converter mounted (your emission class won't change or something like that).

I would talk to the examiner and tell him, that even in the US original exhausts are no longer available and only universal mufflers and rebuilds can be bought. You should then buy a fitting muffler and build that one into your existing exhaust system. That way you will get the original soundlevel (almost). You won't need the catalytic converter, as I wrote ...

Anyhow, you can allways look for an other examiner, who does the historic license check ...

Greetings

Steffen (who soon will modify his original exhaust and will get rid of the catalytic converter..)

@Steffen:

Any chance to get your catalytic converter? (Just kidding) :D

Greetinx

Chris
marxx

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks, Chris, for the translation! But, really, I was joking. I didn't think you was passing State secrets, or something. :wink:

But you are correct - even here in the US, we would have to bring the car to a exhaust shop and have something custom-made.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Factory Original Purist