when to restore or when to hot rod a car

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:12 pm

"Hey, the car is going to be scrap metal someday...might as well enjoy it while I have it right?"

That's what I say. Its your car, its your life. The question is do you want a museum piece in a storage unit somewhere, or do you want to spend 100,000 miles behind the wheel of a car you love to drive before you get too old?
If my car was in as good of shape as yours I would drive it everyday.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Things are looking up.

Postby stage169 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Marco I can see the value of your car going up. If your H is nice and can be put back close to stock and its a Spyder or any of the other models that are not just plain cars than sure. Now the value is going up and I know it will not come close to other collector cars but.... I'm sure there are original cars here that would break $10k. If a Mercury Comet breaks the $10k than a Mirage etc... would surely do the same.

I hate the idea of my white car going over 10k original miles but the next show I drive it to it will. I'll never make either daily transportation. I would love an H for that what I mean is you would have to have a lot of time to keep it nice. My red car will be ruff, noisy and harsh riding. No heat so nice weather only.

I bet it is only a matter of time where we see one in an auction. As long as I own one I'll never get old :D (what are you calling old?) 8)
stage169

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:23 pm

To each his own. I'm not saying my way of thinking is right or yours is wrong. But I've put 100,000+ miles on my Sunbird and I can't wait to get it back in shape and drive it another 100k.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:42 am

The first time they put an H body in a movie then roll it at the end the prices will triple....

Everyone will want one and theyll make new parts for them...

But for the most part if people saw that happen thay would all go out and buy pintos...because chevy didnt make mazda...know what I mean?

I tell people Ive got a spyder and they think of some exotic sports car...I say monza...they say....Mazda?

The car is ireplacable to me....even if it is a car that should have been crushed years ago.....yeah...its rusty....and its no longer stock...at all...but its got a place in my heart.

Just like children...sometimes you run into some ugly kids....but their parents still love em....
Our cars are just GM's "ugly children"

HOpe I didnt offend anyone.

PS: my take on the resto things is....I dont get it...but I do...a car to me is meant to be driven...and when I see a bone stock factory original 55 chevy or model T I think...thats nice...but I bet it never sees the road.
Id rather drive a car cause thats why it was built and in the end...we cant take em with us...so why not enjoy it now.

Somthing is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
someday those tri-five chevys will be forgotten because the generation that loves them will have died off and they will be able to be had for a grand.....so on and so forth.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:02 am

Sirshredalot wrote:The first time they put an H body in a movie then roll it at the end the prices will triple....

But for the most part if people saw that happen thay would all go out and buy pintos...because chevy didnt make mazda...know what I mean?

I tell people Ive got a spyder and they think of some exotic sports car...I say monza...they say....Mazda?

-Shred

Ha ha...I agree...I can see it now....

Some sort 'car movie', ala "Bullit" or "American Grafitti", where a cool-looking, hot H-body gets crashed in the end...

....and Gremlin values skyrocket!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby vegafrog » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:40 pm

My only concession was that I refuse to back-half the car

I agree, I really like the look of a somewhat stock appearance. But with muscle!
A Little Chevy goes a long way!
vegafrog

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Tailssideup » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm 17 and I know that I probably dont know much, but from what I have heard from people older than I is that Mopars were treated the same exact way. Sure they had some fast cars, but thing was they had a bad reputation from some people and the general public hated them. Now, if anything to do with Mopar rolls onto an auction block, it is sold for more than I would think a car should ever be worth, doesnt matter who owned it before me, I want to drive the scum sucker!
1980 Pontiac Sunbird
Tailssideup

Postby greg72 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:48 am

vegafrog wrote:
My only concession was that I refuse to back-half the car

I agree, I really like the look of a somewhat stock appearance. But with muscle!

Anyone can restore a car , it takes a real man to cut one up :lol:
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby v8astregt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:10 am

I'm kind of curious how the Edsel people are gonna take to my Edsel! :lol:

When I was a member of the mailing list several years ago, I got sick of the bickering over not having the original style bias-plys.

I wonder how they'd like my 18/20" Boyd Coddington Magneato's and 4 wheel discs! :roll:
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby greg72 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:57 am

v8astregt wrote:I'm kind of curious how the Edsel people are gonna take to my Edsel! :lol:

When I was a member of the mailing list several years ago, I got sick of the bickering over not having the original style bias-plys.

I wonder how they'd like my 18/20" Boyd Coddington Magneato's and 4 wheel discs! :roll:

It only matters if they are going to buy it from you :)

For now it is your car, build it like you want and enjoy it . Life is way too short and decidedly unpredictable!

BTW I suspect yours is how they would build Edsels if they built them now. Sweet!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby v8astregt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks. That's how I feel about it too... it's my car and I'll build it my way.

I orignally wanted like 17/18's, but some Boyd Coddington "Magneato's" accidentally arrived at my buddy's shop the other day in the 18/20" sizes. The rears are like $600 a piece, and the fronts are like $500 a piece, and I can get the works for $1000! No brainer!
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby mldeolde » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 pm

i have BOYDS on my IMSA of all places and i love the classic but original look that they have. PS : ARE YOU GOING FOR THE PRO STREET LOOK IN YOUR EDSEL OR JUST WANTING A LITTLE "bling" for your ride?
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby v8astregt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:33 pm

Well originally my idea was to leave the 285/70r15's and the 15x10's out back. That was several years ago. Since then, trends have changed and my once new tires are now dryrotted with zero miles on them. :cry:

It's funny, really. I was talking with my dad the other day about since I can't get my title situation fixed on my Camaro, I was thinking about doing the Edsel next. I was talking about how some nice big wheels would make this thing a knockout. So come Monday, guess what accidentally arrives at the shop? These wheels! Talk about meant to be! And it's funny... the shape of the hole on the wheels looks like the horsecollar grille on the Edsel.

Anyways, I was originally thinking the 15's, but soon after I did it I thought there was too much sidewall on it. Fine for a highboy or truck, but I didn't think it fit on the Edsel. With a 20" on the back, I can still do a 29" tall tire that is shorter than the 15, but will still have plenty of sidewall for the bigger wheels. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's rubberband tires on old cars. There will be plenty of sidewall front and rear.

And bling is raising the car to fit big wheels. I'll be able to slam mine to the ground with these big ass meats.

My whole goal is just to have a knockout at the Goodguys show this year. 15's would be okay, but can you imagine an Edsel? Slammed on 18s/20s??? Talk about dare to be different! And what I'm gonna do is do the wheels, and stance, as well as restore it perfectly under the hood, as well as paint the dash and such inside the car, but I'll leave the outside just like it was as I found it in a field, and slap Mexican blankets down on the inside! I may paint the roof and coves since they're faded beyond the original color, and so it looks like a work in progress.

v8astregt

Postby mldeolde » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:56 am

that is gonna be a knock out. can't wait to see it finnished... drop by with it next time you go to Magic Mountian for a weekend retreet......you know anouther little cruise to California would do you good.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby greg72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:46 pm

Josh , that does sound like a slick ride! Enjoy.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist