WU9 option

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

WU9 option

Postby Len » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 am

Ok I don't know if you remember this car when I bought it . But there was speculation on weather it was a formula or not and it turned out is was not. But the debate went on a little about the pin-stripping and paint on this car> wether or not it was original or not. Well Now that stage 169 has supplied some pontiac numbers and option codes ( thanks again) it would appear that this is the WU9 option "sunbird graphics " As the build sheet for this car has this code. And all the paint ect appears to original. Truly i am hopping that there is another car out there similar or photo's showing this option to back this up.
Anybody ?
Library%20-%2025.jpg
Library%20-%2026.jpg
Library%20-%2028.jpg
Library%20-%2029.jpg

Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: WU9 option

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:45 am

I hope another car shows up but the odds are slim. My white car decal option has shown up two other times and Buick made almost as many 77 Skyhawks with it as Pontiac made the WU9 option for 79 & 80. Let alone Buick made more like mine for two other years.

GM Heritage may have info I'll check and see. Brian
stage169

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 am

Len did you send me the buildsheet? If not send it again, there's a box that gives decal information.

I have some other information in my head about sunbird decals.

In 1980 you'll see alot of sunbirds with a decal delete code, Y94.

As far as I know the sunbirds in 1980 began coming stock with a Giant side decal as thick as the 1980 spyder decal.

It said Sunbird in large letter's. It was very "era trendy" but anyone who wanted a regular non-decaled sunbird found them hideous. I've seen one or 2 before.

Dealerships screamed and they quickly came up with a graphic delete code Y94, and instructed dealerships to make sure they order cars this way if they didn't want the decal.

If your's doesnt have the delete code, that that may be the graphic it got. However, I also remember hearing you could get the decals your car has too. A formula style without the forumla lettering.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Marco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Also. what does it list on the buildsheet next to the code? According to this site..

http://www.nastyz28.com/gm-rpo-codes/rpo-w.php

Its a windshield reveal molding code. Probably gave you the black trim. Although Neither of my 2 Forumla sheets or regular sunbird sheets have that code..
Marco

Postby Len » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 am

Hi matco I did send you a copy of this cars build sheet back in 09 about this time . but will pm you another
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby Marco » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:46 am

Alright Len, you'l be happy to know, that your car did come with those graphics. And it's Close to a formula...

The sticker code for the red stripes, in the box labled "Hydro Pierce" is from the Formula Group. PF6. PF3 was gold,
So looks like PF6 was the red/orange.

Down below in the rpo section,
Yours got RPO code WU9 which gave you everything but the "Formula" lettering and companion Y80 Custom Exterior, which could have provided the front and rear airdam and Spoiler. (although checking my sheet's, I see this code on a sunbird that had a chrome trim strip on the lower rocker and no spoilers). Formula's got W66 in place of WU9.

YT1 "Door and QTR Cust B" is also on my Forumla, Yet, Another white formula in town, did not get this code...

I -think- this was about the B pillar plastic louvers that went on the door and rear quarter. It may have been the difference between one with the chromed edges and one without.
Marco

Postby stage169 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Maybe something will show up that tells us completely what was included with the WU9 option. I sent PHS an email but in the past when I've called they have told me they don't have any Sunbird info. GM Heritage mentioned PHS so.... Something in Pontiac print would be nice.

Sounds like Marco has it nailed down and Len I looked at my old PM's and only saw the vehicle option info you sent me on Sunula66's Formula. If I have it I'm just not seeing it yet. Are there codes for the blacked out trim around the windows or could that be part of the WU9 option?

At least you know more about it and its a unique low number option too. Brian
stage169

Postby Len » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:35 am

Marco the only chrome exterior b trim I have seen is on a 75 Sky hawk.
Pm you a copy Brian
How many build sheet copies do you boys have ? I know I have sent a few !
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

Postby stage169 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:48 am

I'll have to count. :th:
stage169

Return to Factory Original Purist