oil pan

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

oil pan

Postby Lespaul59 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Got this oil pan off of a v-8 monza in the junkyard years ago. Really need to know if G.M. put a part number on the pan. Also, Does it look correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lespaul59

Re: oil pan

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Is there a dimple for tie rod clearance? It looks similar but the plug looks to be in a different position. On a Monza it comes straight out the side, not angled like this one. It also seems like the front part of the sump should be flatter for centerlink clearance. At this point I am not convinced it is a H body pan, not saying it isn't, just need more info. Look for that dimple. I have refinished several of these, I don't ever recall seeing a number embossed in it. I see there is a dent where it looks like the tie rod hit, the more I look at it the more I am leaning toward it is not a H body pan. Someone may have installed it on a Monza, but I don't think it's right.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: oil pan

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 am

Looks like a '78-'79 Malibu/Monte Carlo pan to me. They used a left-hand dipstick but didn't have room for the in-block one because of the over-the-spark plug LH exhaust manifold.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Factory Original Purist