Restored: what does it mean to you?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Brad C » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:53 am

:D

I may be bigger, but I'm sure you're faster.
Brad C. 75 Skyhawk, 70 Buick GSX, 71 Buick GSX, 87 Buick GNX, 2 86 Buick Grand Nationals and a host of other Buicks.
Brad C

1975 Buick Skyhawk

brad c

Postby mldeolde » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:28 pm

now thats an original idea. nothing like a one off like yours to mess with some peoples minds.just tell them it's a Canada only model!!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

brad c

Postby mldeolde » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:29 pm

now thats an original idea. nothing like a one off like yours to mess with some peoples minds.just tell them it's a Canada only model!!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby cozwurth » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:50 am

Here goes another opinion...

You guys all bring up good points about restored vs. modified. To me, a "restored" car is one that has been brought back as close as possible to factory condition. This involves using as many NOS parts as possible, properly date coded castings, and reproduction parts as available. Without a build sheet, or at least valid documentation about what options were actually installed on a car, this can become very difficult. The lacquer paint point I think is essentially moot anyway. Hasn't lacquer production been stopped due to environmental concerns? A good, currently available single stage paint should be an allowable departure from original and still be considered "original" for a restoration. I was actively "restoring" my '75 Cosworth Vega until the day it was totalled. I bought many NOS parts while they were available and used them on the car. Even though I was essentially restoring the car, I color sanded and buffed the paint to get rid of the minimal orange peel. That would have been a points deduction in a concours show judging. My current projects, the '74 Panel Express and my '70 SS396 Chevelle, will both be "restified". The panel will be more modified than the Chevelle. The Chevelle's modifications will only be the removal of the vinyl top. All else will be as close to factory original as possible. The removal of the vinyl top will place it in the "modified" category, though. The Panel Express, however, will be highly modified, but will retain a somewhat factory appearance. I'm planning on buliding the car the way I would have ordered one from the factory if that were possible. 327 SBC, TH350 tranny, 3.42 geared 7.5 rear axle (5-lug S-10), G-body spindles/brakes, A/C, power steering, 14 inch wheels with dog-dish hub caps, etc. I'm planning on going with a factory '72 Vega color (light metallic green). It will look essentially like one of the COPO Camaros out there...plain-Jane, but with a strong kick. Maybe I'll call it my COPO Vega... It will definitely not be in the "restored" class at any car show.

I think the term "restored" is used too loosely. A fully restored car should look just like it rolled off the assembly line. Should that include the crayon marks made by the line workers and paint dabs used to identify different variations of parts used on the lines? For a concours restoration I think so, if there are any known and documented. Those type things are usually reserved for the trailer queens, though.

Just my .02
Dave
And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in diverse places. All these are the beginnings of sorrows. MATT 24:6-8
cozwurth

1974 Chevrolet Vega Panel Express

Re: Restored: what does it mean to you?

Postby lovevegas » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:32 pm

I know i must be one of the crazy's but a stock vega make's my heart skip a beat. I love the sound of the
2.3. I've owned i would say 9 or 10 vega's over the year's and the thought of dropping a V-8 in one
lasted about 15 second's.
I have 2 right now one of which i'm parting out, not what i wanted too do but only enough space for 1,
but the 76 hatchback i'm keeping is gonna be bone stock. Never a doubt in my mind.
Which why i'm on the subject. Does anyone know of someplace that sell's muffler's that has the o.e.m
size and sound of a stock vega muffler? Every place i've found on the net that has vegas listed show
a thrush type muffler. And i say '' Not a chance"!!
lovevegas

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist