rotary powered monza

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

rotary powered monza

Postby monzaaddict » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:33 am

If the 75 monza had been produced with the rotary engine as originally planned this would have been what the emblems would have looked like.
$(KGrHqYOKpsE0VI84yu4BNZ!7Sehf!~~_12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monzaaddict

Re: rotory powered monza

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 am

Eww.. where did you find this pic? How do ya know?

Thanks for sharing
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 am

I would say Monzaaddict is pretty clever and made that himself. Great job!

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby monzaaddict » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 am

hammerdown7 wrote:I would say Monzaaddict is pretty clever and made that himself. Great job!

Dick

Nope, bought it off ebay from a guy selling a bunch of nos emblems- it's the real deal!

There was another about 10 years ago on ebay - might be same one.
monzaaddict

Postby gerbsinmd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 pm

that is sooooo cool!!!!!! :th: :th: :th: :th:
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby fyrftr50 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Did this guy have any documentation whatsoever to verify his claim? There a part number with it? The GM press photos when the Monza was stil possibly going to be called the Chaparelle use the Chevrolet emblem we all are familiar with. I would think the rotary engine was dropped long before any emblems for the car would have been made, let alone designed. I could very well be wrong, of course.

It is definitely the same casing but hard to beleive there would be no chevrolet emblem in this front facia and rear facia emblem.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby meangreen73vega » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Has anyone done a rotory engine h-body?
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 am

fyrftr50 wrote:Did this guy have any documentation whatsoever to verify his claim? There a part number with it? The GM press photos when the Monza was stil possibly going to be called the Chaparelle use the Chevrolet emblem we all are familiar with. I would think the rotary engine was dropped long before any emblems for the car would have been made, let alone designed. I could very well be wrong, of course.

It is definitely the same casing but hard to beleive there would be no chevrolet emblem in this front facia and rear facia emblem.

Hate to use your own site to dispute your argument but under "concepts" http://monza.homestead.com/concept.html the 6th photo down shows the rear view of a monza clay model and the text reads as follows:
To the left is a view of the clay model that has been finished with a plastic film to simulate paint (c. 1972). note the rear rotary emblem on the rear fascia. The front and rear bumpers also seem to be seperate from the main body, similar to the initial design proposals and the first running prototype at Pininfarina. This model is remarkably similar to the final production version.
monzaaddict

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 am

That is cool! I want one.
meangreen73vega wrote:Has anyone done a rotory engine h-body?
I don't think anyone has done a rotary swap. I think there is a short thread here on H-body.org discussing such.
Would be an interesting swap.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby fyrftr50 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 pm

monzaaddict wrote: Hate to use your own site to dispute your argument but under "concepts" http://monza.homestead.com/concept.html the 6th photo down shows the rear view of a monza clay model and the text reads as follows:
To the left is a view of the clay model that has been finished with a plastic film to simulate paint (c. 1972). note the rear rotary emblem on the rear fascia. The front and rear bumpers also seem to be seperate from the main body, similar to the initial design proposals and the first running prototype at Pininfarina. This model is remarkably similar to the final production version.

I was looking at those pics when I wrote the post but the emblem is impossible to make out and it looks to be very flat, compared to what was put on the Monza or what you posted. Unfortunately those are not my words. They were copied word-for-word from what was printed in an old H-Special Registry mailing so I honestly cannot confirm nor deny most of what is there. I'm just assuming what was printed was correct.

The other issue I have is that all the emblems of that style used on the H-Bodies are all made the same. All 3 Skyhawk and both Chevrolet emblems were made the same, with the same convexed shape to them, with the emblem actually under the convex plastic. This one doesn't appear to be convexed like the rest of them and no bubble on top of the actual logo. of course if this was a preprioduction emblem, it could have still been in the works. Just hard to take some guys word for it because he listed it in an auction. But if it is, then you have a mint piece of Monza history there.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: rotary powered monza

Postby bill1978v8 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kenova » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 pm

meangreen73vega wrote:Has anyone done a rotory engine h-body?

With so many RX7s getting their engines yanked out and replaced with LS engines it shouldn't be hard to find an unwanted rotary. They're not the greatest sounding engines though. I've heard better sounding snowmobiles.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 am

Ha. Snowmobile. heh-heh. I think you may be correct.
I've always heard that the rotary engine has a good power for such a small engine.
Well, I was doing a little research and it seems that they don't calculate displacement correctly.
As you can see in the animation, there are 3 faces to the rotor and 3 ignition sequences, therefore this is like a 3 cylinder engine.
But the Japanese only count one side of the rotor for displacement purposes.
But, another calculation uses two faces, doubling the displacement.
This is because a piston engine turns 720 degrees for the full four stoke of the Otto cycle.
A rotary engine turns 1080 degrees for all three rotary faces to complete the Otto Cycle - that's only 360 degrees.
So, for equalization with piston engines, the comparison between is with two revolutions of the output shaft and two faces.

Anyone know if there are any GM Wankel rotary engines still in existence?
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby autohistoryman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 am

The GM Heritage Vehicle fleet contains no rotary powered vehicles. Heresay is the Powertrain History engine collection contains a two rotor engine, although it is not part of the show engine collection. :( :( Paul
autohistoryman

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 pm

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Next

Return to Factory Original Purist