Chevrolet Vega 1972

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Chevrolet Vega 1972

Postby Jipstar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:33 pm

I have just bought a 1972 Chevrolet Vega with the standard 2.3ltr 4cylinder engine (10,000miles on the clock)

Question 1: Did the engine really last only till around 40,000miles?

Question 2: What type of lowering springs fit the vega?

Question 3: What PCD do the Vega Wheels have?

Thanks!
Jipstar

Re: Chevrolet Vega 1972

Postby kgroombr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Never seen a clock that told time in miles. :)

Just me speaking, but if you take good care of the engine, change oil, ensure it doesn't overheat, etc, it should last just as long as other engines of the same year. I would also add one of the many zinc based additives to your oil at every change. There has been some discussion of premature camshaft wear without it. Google "zinc camshaft" to get the lowdown on that.

All stock Vega's have a 4" pattern. Be careful as there are many metrics are 100mm and are really close to 4" (approx 102mm). They will bolt on (somewhat), but because they don't line up properly will eventually break the lug bolts.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:47 pm

As Ken said, with proper maintenance, the Vega engine will last as long as any other. Its main problem was the tiny standard (non-A/C, non-HD cooling) radiator. It left no margin of error for coolant level. If you have one of those, I would recommend to either add a coolant recovery system bottle and cap to it, or replace it with the A/C - HD cooling radiator with the proper upper hose. You will have to remove the filler plate in the radiator support opening, but it is scribed as to where to cut.

The only lowering springs made for Vegas have been discontinued for decades now. I haven't seen any on eBay, either. Most members of the board cut partial- or full coils from the stock springs for the desired ride height.

Vegas use a 4 on 4" bolt pattern, used also on MG Midget and Austin-Healey Sprite. I agree with Ken and would also not recommend using 4 on 100mm pattern wheels.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Jipstar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Well, realistically wheels having a pcd of 100 (100mm) are widely available unlike a set of 102mm, which is practically impossible to locate in Malta, Europe. Will I add further wear an tear to the car if I install 100mm PCD set of wheels?

Secondly, by cutting the springs you can never achieve a flat surface on the tip of the coil. Therefore, the spring's strut would never sit properly when installing on your car. IS this true? And what are the cons of cutting your springs? Will it damage the car i nthe long run?
Jipstar

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:04 pm

The only 100mm bolt circle wheel you could even get to work would be one that uses conical-seat lug nuts. Those will try to bend the wheel studs, possibly causing early failure. You would have to machine a wheel that uses shank-style lug nuts for the bolt pattern as you wouldn't be able to install the nuts otherwise. In your case, it may be more economical to have the rotors and rear axles machined to place the lug studs on a 100mm bolt circle instead. That is what Hammerdown did to mount the wheels he has on his Cosworth.

As far as cutting springs, they are what is called "tangential" on one end of each of them. What that means is that you could cut the spring and not have to do anything else to it. This would be the bottom of the front spring and the top of the rear spring. Where the spring seats in each of these positions, the control arm (front) and body (rear) is contoured to accept the spring.

The cons to cutting springs would be the harsher ride and possible bottoming of the car - depending on how far you cut. And if you cut too far, you can't put it back!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Jipstar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Guys, the car would not start. The problem lies within the carburetor. When the mechanic opened it up, he ensured me that one of the jets are missing.

Now being that American Engine parts are pretty scarce, I am unsure where to locate a spare one. He might actually try and find a substitute part from here.

Can anyone send me seuggestions? A picture or diagram of a 1972 Chevrolet Vega 2283cc engine will be greatly appreciated!

Jipstar

Postby NVEGAR8D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi,
about your carburater problem, you may even be better off to adapt a more common carb to the intake by an adapter plate.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 am

Wow, nice Vega. You are a lucky guy to have an early (71-73) Vega that is still stock and in such good shape.

The carburetor is more likely a Rochester - either a Mono-jet (1 barrel) or a 2GV (2 barrels).
You can find a rebuilt carb on US ebay rather easily. Shipping might be a problem, though.

I hope you can get it running and drive it around over there.
Don't most Europeans refer to American cars as land barges? :lol:
So, to see a small (by U.S. standards anyway) American car would be a shock. :D

I had to look up where Malta was: I am typical American - geographically illiterate. :dunce:
I found Malta - a small island in the Mediterranean Sea south of Sicily, which is the big island down by the boot(toe) of Italy.
Would be an interesting story as to how your Vega ended up there today from its birth at the factory in Lordstown, OH, USA 40 years ago.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Stevie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:43 am

Hey- another Vega in europe- fine !
I am located in Germany and sometimes a got the same part issues like you got.

For the carburator:
You should buy a new/ remanufactured carburator from ebay usa. There are a lot still available and shipping is not noo heavy mostly.

If you dont get it, maybe I can help and check my replacement carburator. Send me a picture of your missing jet and i will check out if I got in here in Germany...

For the wheels:
I use minilite wheels that are made for Austin Healey/ Morris Minor. These got the correct bolt pattern. In the rear I have to add some 2'' spacers to ensure space. Don*t use 100mm bolt pattern- too dangerous !

Steffen
'75 Vega hatchback, bright yellow, mostly stock- except of 14'' Minilite wheels on 205/60 R 14, Grant steering wheel and some minor changes...
Stevie

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby gotmud7 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 am

You can buy a new 2 bbl rochester on ebay for about $130. The jest are online for about $5 a pair. They are they same (I beleive) as a Holley carb. In my 2 bbl rochester they are #52. You need 2 of them. I added a picture that might help you out. The jets are behind the power valve. So the power valve has to come out to replace the jets. Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ck1971 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I drive a '71 with the original 4 banger. It had 21,000+ on it when I got it about a year and a half ago. I've since put an additional 22,000+ of my own- daily ride at 88 miles per day. :th:

When the original radiator started leaking I did some checking around and found a shop that actually had a V-8 Monza radiator...... for $80 bucks- and that included him getting the top and bottom necks how I needed them! :dance: . Funny thing is that I had to put some cardboard in front of half of it this past winter because it never would get warm enough to run well!

Original plans was for a small block but with gas prices so high now, it's running too good to replace. Gonna run it till I kill it. :wink:
Charlie
The older I get, the more I like older cars.....
ck1971

Return to Factory Original Purist