POSSIBLE... LAST VEGA EVER MADE

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: POSSIBLE... LAST VEGA EVER MADE

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

gotmud7 wrote:This post kind of got off topic. It's a nice Vega wagon anyway. How about we all agree that this might be "possibly the closest to last Vega still in existance".

Lol, I was at that conclusion by page 2, however, it would be great to know for sure, and we have the resources avail, so what the heck..

It would be super for GM to snatch it up and display it along with the very first Vega that they already have.

Hey Brian what does the 84k production number include besides Vega's?

And I had another mathmatical way to approach this question... Find lordstown total production for 1977. Subtract Van totals for '77, Then subtract Astre totals and that should provide a final for Vega's.

I also have a final theory:

The "Repair yard" on the Lordstown property was known to be filled to capacity during most of the production. It could hold 2,000 cars (basically a fenced in corner of the parking lot). Let's say as 77 production wound to a close they got the yard down to 800 or so cars, and said scrap 'em..

There's your missing 800 cars from GM's 'delivered' totals. Quite certainly there could have been 79,272 cars actually assembled but only 78,400 delivered and paid for Vega's.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby stage169 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Just thought I would try and help Ski.dive get the answer he was looking for.

If you add up the Towne Coupe cars with the Vega's made at Lordstown for 77 it comes to 84,632.

I didn't get a chance to call today, sometime this week I will. Brian
stage169

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 am

stage169 wrote:Just thought I would try and help Ski.dive get the answer he was looking for.

If you add up the Towne Coupe cars with the Vega's made at Lordstown for 77 it comes to 84,632.

I didn't get a chance to call today, sometime this week I will. Brian

Yeah, thats all I'm trying to do too.... this is the most interesting thread I've seen in a while. All good fun.

By Town Coupe cars... You mean Monza's ? I was in the dark about this, I thought the plant didn't see Monza's until 78 started..

Hey Ski.Dive...have you searched for a buildsheet yet? And How about the Cowl Tag, can you post the info?

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby ski.dive » Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 am

I just replaced the carpet [never again] what a pain in the ass to replace...lol
*there was no buildsheet under the carpet.

I'll try to get a picture of the cowl tag today

Here's some other pictures of my Vega, look at the undercarriage picture...no rust anywhere :th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ski.dive

Postby stage169 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 am

Wow, just like brand new.

Marco I'm going off the first page of the 77 Chevy A.S. report. I think you have it? But that is what it looks like to me that 6k+ Monza TC were made at Lordstown for 77. I can post it when I get home if you want. Brian
stage169

Postby ski.dive » Tue May 01, 2012 3:33 pm

UPDATE

HERE ARE THE 2 ID PLATES ON MY 1977 VEGA:

THE PLATE ON THE FIRE WALL SHOWS THE VIN# 179272

THE PLATE ON THE DOOR SHOWS THE MANUFACTURED DATE 7/77:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ski.dive

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Ski... check behind the plastic seat back behind the passenger seat...its 4 philips head screws..pretty easy to remove and put back

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Fastmax32168 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:34 am

Ok now that we have established that it is definitely a rare and interesting car you need to do what any true H-body fan would. Strip it down, tub it out, Put flares and a goofy scoop on it, stick a half assed done V-8 conversion into it, and then take it out and beat the crap out of it. LOL :th:
Roy

PS dont forget to put some primer spots on it, cause that is just how we roll!
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby monzajer » Thu May 03, 2012 7:48 am

Roy, :lol: :th: :th: and Ski don't forget the straight axle and an old Heiny mini keg for the gas tank up front. :roll: lmao
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby ski.dive » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 am

The only changes I'm making to my VEGA are:

I'm putting on some 4" whitewall tires on it, a SURFBOARD ON THE ROOF RACK & some surfing decals on the back & side windows, she's keeping the 4cyl.motor

I live in a SURFING TOWN in FLorida, everybody loves a "SURF WOODY"...LOL :dance:
ski.dive

Postby Fastmax32168 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 am

Ski Dive, Where are you located at? I am in the Daytona area.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby 73Vegaguy » Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 am

Just be sure to wash the salt off of it!
73Vegaguy

Postby ski.dive » Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Fastmax32168 wrote:Ski Dive, Where are you located at? I am in the Daytona area.
Roy

I'M IN HUTCHINSON ISLAND,FLA.
ski.dive

Postby CosWorth-a-lot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Sorry for dragging this thread up...BTW nice find. A few of you guys know me as that numbers guy over on the Turbo Buick web sites. I've ordered plenty of invoices from GM Media Archives. They are well worth the $50 IMO. I've never ordered one for an H-Body yet. When I get caught up on my finances I'm going to try and sweet talk my connection over there and see what they can do about my 75 Cosworths. But back on the subject. Now don't hate on me to much because just about everything I'm going to be comparing or referencing will be 84-87 Grand Nationals and Turbo Regals with maybe an Riviera and Aztek thrown in but the principle the same. Ask me what the VIN for the first GN built in any of the 4 years(not counting the 1982) and I can tell you. Ask me what the VIN for the last ones built and I can tell you. Ask me anything about production numbers and conspiracy theories as far as Azteks and Rendezvous, along with VINs and I can tell you. How can I tell you? Through research. You guys are on the right track. It's just that you don't know what you are asking for. Or how this system works. First you have already found out that all of this information is done through a 3rd party. GM Media is not run by GM. I guess we can be thankfull that it's not out sourced to the 3rd world. And it appears that most if not all of the people you are corresponding with weren't even making mud in their Pampers when these cars were new so you can see the lack of interest on their part as well. OK enough lecturing. Here's what I would do. First understand how GM's VIN numbering and body sequence system works. I think you guys kind of figured that out. As far as the last 8 digits go here is how they break down. The first would be the year. 5=75,6=76,7=77,etc. The "U" stands for Lordstown. The last six is the build sequence. The general rule of thumb as far as the 3rd or the 1st digit of this 6 number sequence is 1=Chevy,2=Pontiac,3=Olds and 4=Buick. So we now know that every 77 Vega should at least start with a 7U1XXXXX. Is it possible that some Astre VIN's have this same sequence or should their VINs be 7U2XXXX? This needs to be researched. It might explain why your numbers dont match. Yes it is possible for more than one vehicle to share the last 8 sequence but not the entire VIN. And the VIN sequence is different than the body number. I'm not 100% for sure but I think the tubs or maybe the whole car was assembled by GMAD of maybe Fisher Body. I think GMAD came on line around 1984. Fisher Body built the body which is the Body Number. If there is enough interest I could reearch the assembly process. OK the next step is finding a reliable data base of VINs. Your work is cut out. When I was researching Buicks all I had to do was pull up cars for sale on eBay,AutoTrader,Cars,etc. There are hundreds if not thousands of those but even on a good day I think you'd be hard pressed to even find a handfull of H-Body VINs there. It wasn't long before I could almost tell you how many GN's they were building every day just based on my data base of VINs along with a few of the build dates I managed to snag. You can never post to many pics in your listing if you were really serious about getting big money for your car. Next step. Find some recall bulletins. Yes you are right. The Feds and EPA would have a fit if GM told them they built to many cars to keep track of. I'm not familiar with Vega recalls but seems to me there has to be a couple of bulletins out there. Why is this important? GM put the VINs effected on those recalls. If there was a recall, say GM forgot to tighten the widget on the last 1,000 Vegas built in Lordstown in 1977, than you would at least know the VIN of the last Vega based on that information. I'm sorry that I didn't take the time to research more on the H-Body while I was aquiring information on my other projects. Long before the internet I did keep track of all of the production numbers for the Cosworths that I did see for sale in Hemmings. Back in the late 70's early 80's there was always at least 6-10 of those for sale every month. I had 100's of numbers. Some even traded hands 2 or 3 times in a short span of time. Too bad we can't do that today. Sorry to make this post to damn long. It's hard to absorb advice and information when you're reading something that belongs in a book. I hope to chime in later when I come across something new or to add something I forgot. :D
CosWorth-a-lot

Postby hammerdown7 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 pm

What are you looking for on your Cosworth? There are 3 or 4 members with pretty good files on the cars.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

PreviousNext

Return to Factory Original Purist