alt brackets

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

alt brackets

Postby Lespaul59 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:10 am

Hey guys. Been a while. Anybody got the alt brackets for a v-8 monza. The ones that position the alt up high in the middle of the engine? gETTING TIRED OF A SQUEEKY BELT CAUSE i GOT THE LONG BRACKET THET GOES OUT TO THE DRIVERS SIDE. It's a 79 spyder v8 non a/c. Got a pump from the local auto store re-man with a date code 1976. Guess they're still available. Thanks guys!
Lespaul59

Re: alt brackets

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:25 am

Not sure why your belt would squeak with that set-up, same as I have with no problems. Are you sure you have the correct belt? Some people just look for a correct length belt but there were also differences in width as well. I think the engine looks better with the accessories off to the side but that's just me...........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Lespaul59 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 am

I don't know what size belt goes on since they didn't come with that setup. The length is good though. The belt is so long, That it flexes too much while revving. The original setup is the shortest I've ever seen in a chevy small block.
Lespaul59

Postby monzajer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 am

Do you have a cogged belt or a regular flat belt? Cogged belts sometimes creates bad harmonics. Also, the belt should set down in the pulley, not up flat or "above" the pulley. Is the pulley straight or does it have any wobbles or is it bent in any way. If the tension is too high it could "pull" the alt and create a squeak. Is the pulley inline with the main pulleys? My alt is on the pass side and I have never had any squeaking even if I hammered on the loud pedal.

An old "remedy" is to use a bar of soap and apply to contact surface. You can do this with the car running, just be careful. It isn't a total fix, more like a band-aid, it will probably only work for a short time.

Let us know how you fixed it. Others may have similar problem.

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers, Jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 pm

I didn't notice that you said it is on the drivers side, some factory V8 Monza's (like mine) came with it off on the passenger side. Either way, if everything is lined up and you have the correct belt it should work without squealing. As mentioned, the belt should fit properly in the V of the pulley, that's where making sure you have the correct width is critical. I think some are 15/64" while others are 13/64" etc. Obviously a small difference but it affects the contact in the pulley.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby zeke » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:46 am

One thing some forget to check is the inside pulley surfaces. High milage can wear the steel down and you will never get the belt to stop slipping.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Factory Original Purist