Don't cut up that H body !

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Don't cut up that H body !

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 pm

This is an interesting thread. I've got opinions too of course. They mostly directly contradict each other. The problem is I can see it from both sides. I guess the point of the thread is, is it right to cut up a perfectly good rust-free Vega to make a pro-street rod. Hmmmm. I guess it comes down to building what you got in some cases. If I had the choice I'd probably cut up a car that was already a goner. To be fair I live in the rust belt so most of them are.

The pro-street look is sorta lame when there isn't the juice to back it up or if it never uses all the gear that was put into it. It's sorta like those guys that buy a car and hole it up in some garage, trailering it everywhere. I guess I just don't get that either. I just don't think a car can fulfill it's true destiny with out being driven. It's like putting Klimt's "the Kiss" in a box somewhere in a storeroom to preserve it. It's purpose is to have a relationship with us. It is the substrate between our eyes and the emotions it elicits. And, so is the car a substrate for our human experience. We live in a world of transience, yet we continually strive to defy the laws of thermodynamics. The undeniable fact is time transforms our matter and we can't stop that. It is a universal truth. We might as well enjoy life to the fullest while we're living in it. You feel me?

On the other hand, even though I'm not a pro-street fan or that I think the rat rod movement seems like an excuse not to work on a car. LOL. I'm not a fan of t-buckets or the latest batch of ricey cars. The thing is, I'm glad they are out there. The street would be seriously boring without them. I love it. So after totally contradicting myself I guess I could have wrote nothing at all. LOL.

So the answer is: Yes and no?
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Astre-mutt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:42 pm

NixVegaGT wrote: It is the substrate between our eyes and the emotions it elicits. And, so is the car a substrate for our human experience. We live in a world of transience, yet we continually strive to defy the laws of thermodynamics. The undeniable fact is time transforms our matter and we can't stop that. You feel me?

I feel you Nic! If the feeling you have is a headache! :? I think I'll go out side, and work on that thingumabob on my car for a while. See if that will clear my head a little. Damn Nic, I knew you was a smart guy, but do yo have to rub it in like that? :D
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:34 am

Whoops. Sorry man. Caught a case of "thinkstomuch".
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 am

I don't think it matters what type of car you are building, it's always better to start with the best rust free example. If you want to keep it stock or modify it is a personal choice but either way it's better to start with a solid platform. Some cars are very valuable in their stock form, Vega's and all H Bodies for that matter do not fall into that group. Even a pristine Cosworth isn't worth that much, so what's the big deal? I don't think you are hurting the value at all by modifying a H body, in my opinion you are probably increasing it because it will probably appeal to more people if done correctly. If you are a purist and really want to preserve your car as GM made it that's great too. Life's short, do what makes you happy! :D
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Don't cut up that RUST-FREE early Vega !

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Nix, that was a well-written post. Substrate = canvas = car. Enthusiast = artist = gearhead. Your finished car project is your work of art and in some cases(definitely not mine), your masterpiece. 8)
Scott, that was a funny response to Nix's post. Hopefully, that thingamajig is working properly or installed correctly or has a nice shiny coat of paint on it and your headache is gone. :)

Clyde, I agree in principle. But, a stock, un-cut, rust-free, early Vega is worth much more than a Cosworth Vega and are right up there in price with a cut-up race car or pro street (with a simple, unsophisticated engine). I am partial to the early Vega as they are the most well-known and most desirable H-Body in the general marketplace (but, not necessarily here on H-Body - the Monza is probably more popular here). :shock:
Again. start with one that is already cut up. So, if you want a race car or pro street, find one of the million early Vegas that have already been sliced, diced, converted, swapped, etc. A simple V-8 conversion without cutting it up is certainly OK and a good project. But, there are a million of them out there, too. Find one already done. A member here on H-body has (or had) a nice one for sale in California. So support your fellow h-body.org members.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby greg72 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:24 pm

I agree with much of what you said Tom. I appreciate stock unmodifed, unrestored old (classic?) vehicles as well as modifed hot rods. For me the problem is many of the cut up cars are modified in ways that I don't want. There are many different ways to build a drag or pro-street car. So for someone like me it is easier and sometimes necessary (depending on what we need) to start with a more complete stock body than one that has already been modified.

The funny thing about all of this is I am now working on re-doing my 72 Vega GT, I have owned it since 1981 and tubbed it in 1989, now in 2009 I am discovering that I no longer like some of the things about the car. For example I want a more stock appearing interior in the car. But in the 80's I threw out most of the stuff I removed when I first built it! Who knew? Back then these cars were ALL OVER the place! And I never thought about it, never thought about either owning the car for almost 30 years or that I would ever want a stock dash in it.

Plus I like building the cars. Even when I buy a vehicle that someone already started the first thing I do once it is home is completely dismantle it.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Allen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:51 pm

I am definitely in Jeff's camp on this one. You guys can, of couse, do as you please with you cars, but it breaks my heart to see a nice car altered (destroyed) as they so often are. These cars are rare treasures and I will keep on passing the gas stations by in my 77 Astre (Iron Duke) 30mpg at 70 mph!
Best to All,
Allen
Allen

Postby Len » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:35 am

Lust,..... another point of view .We all refer to a car as her or she !!! They all cost money and hopefully they don't all look and perform the same !!! We are talking cars here right ???
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby res0o7eb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:02 am

Len wrote:...We all refer to a car as her or she !!!...
I don't personify cars at all - never have. Kind of silly, IMHO.
Allen wrote:These cars are rare treasures and I will keep on passing ... gas ... in my 77 Astre (Iron Duke) 30mpg at 70 mph!
Me, too. Except In my 77 Sunbird (Iron Duke) at 0 mpg and 0 mph (for now). Too many burritos and not enough beer, I suppose. Just my small contribution to the changing of the climate or the warming of the globe.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Previous

Return to Factory Original Purist