Don't cut up that H body !

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Don't cut up that H body !

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:08 pm

As a variation on the theme of when to restore vs when to hot rod - my personal pet peve is when people cut up a nice original car to make a pro streeter etc out of it. I have seen at least 3 Starfires in the last 2 years that have been cup up (tubbed, sub frame etc).

It's really a shame as these cars in good condition are so rare and the sheet metal to fix them will never be reporduced like a 69 Camaro.

OK - off the soap box now.

Jeff
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Re: Don't cut up that H body !

Postby monzaman69 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:14 pm

OldsStarfire wrote:It's really a shame as these cars in good condition are so rare and the sheet metal to fix them will never be reporduced like a 69 Camaro.

Never say never....

:)

Later,

Adam
Adam
1975 Monza 2+2 Basket Case

Gone, but not forgotten:
1977 Monza Mirage
1978 Pontiac Sunbird Notchback
monzaman69

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby peterpan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:00 pm

thats why i'm holding on to this 73 its way to far gone for a street car but would make a great drag car with some fiberglass and a chasis kit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby AusRs » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:35 am

monzaman69 wrote:
OldsStarfire wrote:It's really a shame as these cars in good condition are so rare and the sheet metal to fix them will never be reporduced like a 69 Camaro.

Never say never....

:)

Later,

Adam

yep you just never know

i would imagine not to many years ago people with 67 camaro,s were no better off than us !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

cut it up or not?????????????

Postby mldeolde » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:23 pm

DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT CONDITION MY 75 MONZA WAS IN BEFORE ITS CONVERSION TO AN IMSA SPEC CAR BUT I SURE AM GLAD THOSE TWO CRAZY AUSIES THAT DID IT DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby DEMON Precision » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:55 pm

i think the cars tend to have more value once they are modified , as a stone stock unmolested they don,t have the draw that a clean modified car , vega,s especially since they only came with a 4cyl .

seeing that i,m building a backhalfed vega hatch and i,m doing all the fab work myself i,m a but biais on the little car , but if i was to start over with the project i,d be more inclined to start with a really clean stocker , they way the cars where built with layered sheetmetal and so much of the car spotwelded together rust gets into way too many places and there,s no real way to stop/prevent it other then removing the skins layer by layer , IMO this design is havoc for restoration/hotrodding .

my next h-body project will be a really clean low mileage grandma car , and it won,t be stock when the dust settles 8)
DEMON Precision

My Two Cents

Postby Kenova » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:07 pm

I bought a very clean, low milage Vega with full intention of doing some major modifications to it. I hate doing body work, have no place to do it, it's bloody expensive to have someone else do it, and it's damn near impossible to find good replacement body panels. The money I spent buying it was probably less than what a lot of people spend repairing so called project cars. If somebody doesn't want to see me "cut up" my Vega then they can try to buy it from me. But it is going to cost them some stupid big bucks!
Ken
Kenova

Postby barebonesracecars » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 pm

As long as you don't cut up a low-mileage Mirage, clean RoadHawk, original Firenza, etc. most likely no one will mind. :D
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:49 am

what about cutting a hole in my red spyder where the emission canister used to be? for a cold air intake.

I want to make the cut, neatly, right along the edge of the circle underneath where the canister would sit.

I figure I could tack it back in if the car ever needed to be returned to original.

The original setup was slow and restricted though, so I'm sure this upgrade wouldnt ruin the cars over-all value much.

I could just leave a big K/N filter laying where the canister used to be, but then it would be exposed to hot air alot.....unless I make a heat shield.....hmmm
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Fastmax32168 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:28 pm

barebonesracecars wrote:As long as you don't cut up a low-mileage Mirage, :D

OOPS, Im gonna be in trouble....... :evil:
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby vegagtfan » Sun May 18, 2008 11:09 pm

When I build a Vega Gt I like to try and build it as stock looking as I can get it but put a litte bit more horse power under the hood I like it when I'm siting at a stop light and a ricer pulls up along side and he's got that look in his eyes like O a wippy little 4 banger Vega that until the light turns green and :burn: the only thing he see's is the tail lights now to me that is a blast and it also feels good to. 8)

Travis
76 Vega Gt Hatchback V6
72 Vega gt Hatchback V8
vegagtfan

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 77v6vega » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:56 am

I wouldnt cut up a pristine cosworth, but I am going to tub the hell out of my vega.
77v6vega

Postby TopNX75 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 am

Yep,

Tell that to the local guy here with the PRISTINE 75 Cosworth with 39k original miles.
He bought the car for his 16 yr old daughter and thinks it idles too high..
The car looks absolutely beautiful and is all stock. He is going to install a 4.3 from an s10.

I almost got the whole car, but his daughter had already shown it to her friends and really wants him to keep it for her.

This is how I came across the engine/trans/computer that I listed in the classified section.
At least I tried to save as much of the classic as I could.....
TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:05 am

Too bad you can't convince him to join the CVOA. They offer re-indexed cam sprockets. I installed them on my Cosworth, and it idles at 1000 RPM easily now, with more low-end torque to boot.

Plus, I like to open the hood and show people a piece of history. Many people have heard of the Cosworth, but have never seen one in person.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby mldeolde » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:08 pm

NOW THAT'S SACRILEDGE!!!!!!!!!!! KINDA LIKE HAVING AN ORIGINAL COPO BIG BLOCK CAMERO AND THROWING A 502 BBC CRATE ENGINE IN IT IN PLACE OF THE 427 BBC. A MORTAL SIN IN MY MIND. CUT UP A RUN OF THE MILL CAR ALL YOU WANT TO INCREASE YOUR DRIVING PLEASURE BUT DON'T CANABILIZE A CLASSIC----------------- :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :bang:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Next

Return to Factory Original Purist