Astre 75, missing trims or just optional?

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Astre 75, missing trims or just optional?

Postby rhyolite » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 am

I'm trying to determine if my car was complete when i bought it.
When looking at pictures on the web i noticed there are some different chrome/aluminium trim styles.
I was wondering if i'm missing stuff, or it was never there :) It's an 1975 astre.

The sides have a chrome trim around the windows, but shouldn't there be something similar around the rear windows?
Or didn't have pop-out windows any trimming, should the roofline have a trim? or along the door straight to the back?
I tried to clearify it with 2 photos, one shows in red my "missing" parts (or not)

Same goes for the front, shouldn't there be a chrome line just above the bumper, running underneath the headlights and grilles?
And isn't there supposed to be a black piece (plastic/rubber) running along the bumper itself?

I do have the chrome rings which go around the headlight :)

Thanx in advance

Grtz,

Tiemen
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre SJ Safari wagon
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
- 1993 Jeep chief Cherokee XJ
- 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Y87 V6 3.8
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Re: Astre 75, missing trims or just optional?

Postby dadhad1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:19 am

Hey Tieman,

There is trim on the tilt outs that run along the glass on the top and front edges, they pretty much match the look of the door trim. There are held in place by snap tabs that stick to the glass. 2 pcs each side.
Not sure if they were std with tilt outs, but they are available used and easy to add if you want the look. I'd try and get the clips with the trim as a set if you do buy them.

The plastic 'Chrome Beading' I call it that follows the side drip edge is a 'U' profile shaped item that is available new on eBay and the like. I have plenty left on my spool that I have leftover from my resto to easily do another car and can get you some if you want. Let me know.

The chrome strip on the door glass wiper area is an option. I don't have these on my car, but I'm sure they can be had used.

Hope that helps.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby rhyolite » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Mike,

With "Tilt out" you mean the windows which i call "Pop-out" i guess? :) One on the top, and on the right? (when you stand in front of it)

The side drip edge, that's the part on top, following the roof line i guess ? The chrome beading you're talking about, you glue it to attach it, i assume ?
There doesn't go a trim horizontal? underneath both windows?

I don't quite get the glass wiper area you're talking about ? :)
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby dadhad1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Sorry, clarification below...

With "Tilt out" you mean the windows which i call "Pop-out" i guess?
Correct. The rear 'quarter' windows as they're called came std with stationary glass or optional Tilt/Pop out (at least on the Vega), I'd assume the same on Astres. Judging by what looks like a window stud in your pics, I think you have Tilt/Pop outs.
One on the top, and on the right? (when you stand in front of it).
If looking at the passenger side, yes.

The side drip edge, that's the part on top, following the roof line i guess ?
Correct. Starts at the base of the A pillar and runs up roof line to the the 'washboard' feature on the quarter panel.
The chrome beading you're talking about, you glue it to attach it, i assume ?
No glue. The material has a tacky coating inside so when it's slipped over the drip edge lip, it sticks & stays in place. Also, what helps it to stay on is in it's static state, the ends of the U are kind of compressed together, so there's some interference fit there once installed (if that makes sense).
There doesn't go a trim horizontal? underneath both windows?
That's the optional trim I was referring to at the door glass wiper that I don't have on my car, where you have highlighted in red in your pic. I believe this same trim option continued under the quarter window as well, not sure.

I don't quite get the glass wiper area you're talking about ? :)
The felt door glass 'wipers' that clip into the tops of your doors (side mirror location) on the inside and out. Right along there on the outside is where it goes. I'll see if I can find a pic online of it for you to see. Easier than trying to explain.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

dadhad1

Postby dadhad1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Hey Tieman,

This Yenko Stinger has that trim option under the glass.
Actually, is sporting all the side trim you were inquiring about.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dadhad1

Postby rhyolite » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanx for the info, your last post cleared it all up :)
The trims around the quarter glass can be found on, example, ebay? Are there aftermarket available or just used ones. What will be a search term for something like that, specific name or just vega/astre trim thingie ?? :)

You mentioned you have some trim "chrome beading" left, is it enough for both sides you think? Any price indication (all in, incl shipping?)

The trim underneath the windows, are those available? aftermarket or used, any idea?

Thanx

Grtz,

TiemEn (It's spelled with an E :) ) i forgive you :) )
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby dadhad1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey Tiemen (Sorry about your name),

For Tilt out trim pcs, only used at this point, nothing repro.
If you're searching the web, eBay and the like, I;d guess 'Chevy Vega Rear Quarter Glass Trim' (for a hatch of course).
Chances of NOS would be nil to none.
I'd also post a wanted thread here on the forum for them. I'm sure someone here has a set they'd sell.
Also check with Dave's Vega Village in Canada 604.469.9979.
Ronnie 423.836.0543 in the states.
I actually have 1 of the 4 pcs you need (1 of the top pcs, forget which side), but if you start getting the parts in piece meal, I'll give you the pc I have, you pay post.

I'll double check if I have enough drip edge trim for ya. I would think so. I'll look back at what I paid for the spool and just split it with you, plus post.
I'll let you know.

For the trim under the windows, same deal as the rear quarter glass trim.
I would guess these would be harder to score and/or be more expensive if you do find them as it was a pretty rare option.

Mike

dadhad1

Postby DJLATIN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:52 am

There's a guy here locally that has a Astre 75 and offered it to me as a parts car. I can swing by and see what's all on it if anyone is needing parts. Going by Saturday.
1975 Vega Cosworth
DJLATIN

Postby rhyolite » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:43 pm

well, the trims as discussed above would be very welcome. (the quarter swing/tilt/pop out window trims)
I'm also looking for 2 emblems (astre by pontiac) which go on the fenders. The former owner lost them, he told me they were in the trunk, but they weren't .... :censored:

(don't know if you are aware, but i'm in the netherlands, i have no problem with shipping and such, but don't know if you have problems with shipping across the planet :) )
Anyway thanks for the offer would be great if you could have a look!

BTW, mike, did you had the change to take a look for the drop edge trim? I was able to find something similar overhere, but not sure if it fits, if you have enough left and costs are not going skyhigh i'm definatly interested.
The quarted window trims are missing on my car, I noticed small "dirt figures" (how the hell should a describe it), where the trimclips have been on the glass in the past, so someone removed them and didn't put them back :(
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby DJLATIN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:55 pm

as long as you pay for shipping. i was surprised at what i quoted a guy in japan to ship some antique car parts and realized i should have taken the parts to the post office to get priced on shipping before i gave him a price. lost $ on that deal. let me see what is all there, he says it's a complete car. I'll snap some pics saturday and you can circle what all you need so that I can go back to buy and remove the parts.
1975 Vega Cosworth
DJLATIN

Postby DJLATIN » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:55 am

Do me a favor, take a picture of your car from driver side, passenger side, front and rear. Circle what you need and upload the pics. I saw the Astre last night for you and it was a solid looking car other than the backwoods modifications they did to fit a v-8. You'd be surprised at the stiffening of the car and an extra radiator they put on the car. Going to work a deal to buy the car complete and part it out completely.
1975 Vega Cosworth
DJLATIN

Postby DJLATIN » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Here's some pics of the car rhyolite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1975 Vega Cosworth
DJLATIN

Postby DJLATIN » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 pm

more pics
1975 Vega Cosworth
DJLATIN

Return to Factory Original Purist