1978 Monza Spyder Stripes

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

1978 Monza Spyder Stripes

Postby mikebrow74 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I ordered and purchased my first new car in 1978, an Ultramarine Blue Monza Spyder. It was loaded up with Handling and Appearance Package, V6, 5-speed, P/S, P/B, A/C, Full Guage Package, Tilt Column, AM-FM 8-track, and Positrac. I even had a 2-position seat back which I remember the dealer tried to talk me out of. About the only thing I didn't order the the Sunroof and Digital Clock. I unfortunately let that car go in 1988.

I recently acquired a a 1978 Spyder in need of restoration. I am trying to rebuild it as close as possible to my first car as I can. I have located, purchased, and installed most of the options. Still looking for that tilt column and I'm going to skip the 8-Track. Good luck with that driver's side tilting seat back. I am getting close to exterior paint which brings me to my question. The Spyder Stripes were Black, but I can't remember the accent color. Phoenix Graphics offers the decals in Black/DKGold/LTGold and Black/DKGold/White. Which would be correct for my Ultramarine Blue paint? I have searched for internet pictures but I don't see any Spyders of this color and factory Spyder stripes.
mikebrow74

Re: 1978 Monza Spyder Stripes

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Mike I don't remember either but there is a clip that "Marco"(?) posted a link to [YouTube] of James' car he is from the GTA [Greater Toronto Area, in Canada] and he has/had the stripe package on his, he doesn't visit us much here unfortunately, but a YouTube search brings up lots of cars to choose from happy hunting. Alternately you could maybe reach out to either "Bryan": memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3 http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html or "Marco": memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13 This kind of info is way up in their "knowledge base" There is also Bob Gumm, He may recall this info. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=177 http://www.v8monza.com/ I know that your needed information will be found on here, or from one of these sources [all with us/from here as well] Your tilt column will be found fairly easily not likely cheap but there are a few that show up "affordably" from time to time, those seat adjusters, well I have never seen a set in person that I recall so, those may be tougher but I wouldn't give up hope stranger things have shown up, like prototype badging, and carburetors on this site so, if you are patient and dedicated you just never know. And there was One Very Important option you also missed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld8eAH0MW00 [1977 commercial no listing for 1978 at the top anyway] :bang: Yes I think I'm funny, I hope you do too! Harry P.S. I did a search for that video but I gave up quickly there are lots of videos, LOTS And then a quick double check and Voila!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdWQigmU6Y4

Edited for: "Spelling Corrections"
Last edited by Monza Harry on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mikebrow74 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Yes, I wanted a V-8 but I live in California and the government doesn't want me to hurt myself so they tell us what we can and can't have. In 1978 I was 21 years old and real men shifted their own gears. I don't know why, probably emissions related, but you had to take an automatic behind the V-8 in California. A man without his stick is like a day without sunshine...I think that is what Anita Bryant meant to say... :shock: It was a tough decision but I went with the V-6 and a 5 speed. Broke the box once, first clutch at 15,000 miles (wife was new to manual transmissions). Replaced the flywheel and clutch with a Kenne Bell replacement. Then clutch cables every 10,000 miles and a collapsed firewall at 60,000 miles. Not a stout car but I loved it anyway.
mikebrow74

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:21 am

monzaaddict

Postby fyrftr50 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 am

The factory chart for Spyder option colour selections ...

http://monza.homestead.com/7779spyder.html
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby mikebrow74 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Stripes are in. Is there any diagram with precise measurements on the placement of the Spyder decals? I can see that the top of the side stripes are close to level with the bottom of the front side markers. I can guesstimate based on photos but I would prefer to place them exactly as the factory did if a diagram is available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikebrow74

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:21 pm

mikebrow74 ". I even had a 2-position seat back which I remember the dealer tried to talk me out of" Do you remember if the seat belt latch cover was trimmed like this from the factory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby mikebrow74 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:42 pm

I don’t remember from back in the day. I think I had a little interference issue there with my current build. I’m curious so I’ll take a look.
mikebrow74

Postby monzaaddict » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:19 pm

thanks for reply. I found a Camaro with AN6 option. It appears the cover is trimmed at factory.
monzaaddict

Return to Factory Original Purist