T56 Retrofit Transmission

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:33 am

If you can make the Monza clutch setup work that would certainly make the swap a lot more straight forward.

I look forward to you guy's finished results. I personally think 5 gears are enough but having a slick shifting tranny that can handle all the torque you can throw at it would be a big improvement over the sucky NWC T-5.

(Which is already a huge improvement over the even suckier and never should have been T-50.)

Just my opinions here guys...
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:41 am

The T56 won't hold up to endless amounts of beatings but there are numerous upgrades that can be done at a later time. Things like carbon fiber synchro's and cryogenically hardening parts like input shafts and gear sets.

The T56 is a good transmission and it's a blast rowing through 6 gears. I've only driven a 6 speed two times and both times I had so much fun I almost bought the car.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

6 speed driving

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:53 am

I won't be beating on it either. I beat on my Vega back in my turbo 350 days when I had a 4.11 possi in the car. The best I got the car to run was traction hampered 12.90's at around 112 MPH. The car had a very slow 60 foot because this was done on BFG TA radials. I also had rubber all over the back of the car as I would smoke the tires as the car wasn't setup for the power it had. I could either backhalve the car and install tubs (there are plenty of Vegas with tubs) or change what I was going to do with the car. The interior of my car is cherry and I don't want to cut it up. I then put a 2004R and a 3.0 gear into the car and took it on PowerTour. I had lots of fun touring the car so I decided to not dragrace the car and concentrate on high speed touring. I've had my Vette 3 years now and have never laid rubber in it. I'd rather keep the dual mass flywheel working just the way it should. Doing a clutch on a C4 LTX car can be expensive as the parts cost will kill you - plus you have to balance a new flywheel just like the old one as LTX series engines are externally balanced.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby vegagreg » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:09 am

You guys have almost talk me into going the six speed route. :lol:
I love the low buck approach but the only thing that scares me is using the stock wimpy Monza bellhousing. It's not really designed to be used with the front transadapt/hooker mounts. It's designed to be used with the mid engine Monza mounts. I think it might be to much weight on the bellhousing. Thats why I went with the scattershield. Just thinking saftey her guys so don't blast me. Here's what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-80- ... dZViewItem
vegagreg

bellhousing

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:10 am

Vegagreg

I saw that scattershield yesterday. I am really trying to keep from modifying the trans tunnel and a scattershield will require floor surgery. Admitted the transmission will probably add weight, and if I was going to race the car I'd need the scattershield, but for simplicity I'll keep heading down the path I've decided to take. The 2004R I'm running now is fairly heavy and as far as weight goes I probably won't be adding much more weight to the car. The V8 Monza cast aluminum bellhousing is a fairly robust piece IF you don't dump the clutch and shock the driveline with application of excessive torque. With the rear gears I use I try to kill the torque to keep things safe for the drivetrain. Back in the car's racing days I cracked a few welds with excessive power. I'm beyond my first half century mark so those days are now gone as my sight and reaction times aren't what they used to be :cry: .

Colin is using the complete LT1 transmission, to include the bellhousing So his is designed for the weight of the transmission. I'm the dinosaur that's trying to keep the stock cable bellhousing setup and that is why I will be using a Monza Bellhousing. A scattershield is a requirement if you intend to dump the clutch, for safety sake and the preservation of your feet. In that case the QuickTime bellhousing and a 10.5 clutch and a Hydraulic TO bearing is the best for fitting in the existing trans tunnel without mods. The scattershield approach is another alternative, but you need to do the surgery to the unibody pan, a skill that not everybody on this website possesses or has access to.

Larry
vega_man_larry

More T56 parts

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:37 pm

http://www.danddperformance.com/chevyT-56.htm

This transmission is a bit pricy $$$ but it is adapted to the Saginaw bellhousing and the shifter is in a good location. As a bonus it has provisions for a a mechanical speedo.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/712,36_ ... Pivot.html

Here is an adjustable clutch ball that adjusts from the inside so you can get the transmission bolt up without the clutch ball interfering.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:37 pm

Holy Moses. Thirty-two bills for that trans. Wow. You can get a complete LS1/T56 powertrain for that price!!
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby greg72 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:43 pm

ColinOpseth wrote:Holy Moses. Thirty-two bills for that trans. Wow. You can get a complete LS1/T56 powertrain for that price!!

True , but this will allow someone to have a complete Bolt -In new T-56 for their Chevelle SS , Olds 442 , Buick GS etc. Using stock clutch parts , linkage etc.

Also this is a not a stock T-56 but one that has been modified with HD parts. rated @ 650 ft #s of torque.

Personally I think its a great idea, I am surpised it took this long for someone to market it. I am sure they will have no problem selling them.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:49 pm

Only difference between an F-Body T56 and the Viper T56 is input shaft. Gearing may be slightly different but they are not mutually exclusive.

My friend bought a ZZ383 and viper T56 on ThirdGen.org for $4500. The deals are out there. :)
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Viper T56

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:33 pm

You'll notice that the Viper T56 has more splines on the output shaft. There are also some differences internally. The D & D transmission is a modified Viper transmission, that will bolt up to a classic Chevy motor. The Viper shifter is located forward which is good. The adapter plate with TO bearing collar is also included (about $250 by itself). The mechanical speedo mod is also included (a $300 mod by Jags that run). Plus you get all the hardened parts inside so the tranny will handle 650 ft pounds of torque (no LT1 T56 will do that). I've found rebuilder sites like "The Gear Box" who charge $265 for a stock transmission overhaul, not to include any parts. And don't forget that you also have a freight charge both ways.

RPM Transmissions overhauls the T-56 for performance. Their charge for a performance overhaul is $2,195 + a rebuildable core. To install a modified Viper mainshaft (which comes in the D & D transmission) it is an additional $600! And you still don't have the mechanical speedo or the adapter plate.

Agreed that it is a bit spendy, but there is no comparable transmission that is any cheaper. An LT1 tranny from a yard will need a rebuild at the very least, unless you want to press your luck. Granted you may get good service, but my crate motor makes an honest 430 ft lbs of torque and 430 horsepower. I could back it with this transmission and have no worries whatsoever. Keep in mind when I drive the car on a longhaul I'm looking at 3,000 plus miles for my round trip. It takes 8 hours just to get to Dallas, and I'll drive another hour to get to Oklahoma. Then I still need to reach Arkansas before PowerTour begins. Then it is off to Wisconson which is the opposite border from mine and then I need to turn around and drive all the way back! Backed by this tranny I don't think I'll have a worry at all.

Larry
vega_man_larry

The syncros are also different

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 pm

Just learned that the Viper has stainless syncros and the LT1 are brass.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby 73astregt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:54 pm

i guy i know has a t56 (650ftlbs) in a cobra replica hes running a twin turbo destroked(if i remember correctly) ford 409 cu in puts out something like1200 ft lbs of torque 1000 horsepower (dyno proven package) street drives it every day and road races it at mosport on the weekends so far the t56 has held up except 4th gear is getting noisy this car gets beaten pretty good not babied at all. last time i saw it all four tires were bald as a babys bottom from hard running lol
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

time to resurrect this thread

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:01 pm

I was on Corvette Forum a week ago and found a ZF 6 speed for sale nearby in Port O Connor, TX (a 2 hour drive up the coast). This is what I got for $450. (1) ZF Corvette 6 speed blue label (1) 6 speed bellhousing (1) auto drive shaft (1) manual drive shaft (1) 6 speed shifter (1) TPI distributor core (1) clutch master and slave cylinder and lines still connected together (1) C beam (1) negative battery cable. I didn't get the clutch pressureplate or flywheel. The guy sold his project Corvette and was liquidating all his parts.

I'm looking at putting in the Vette Parts in my Vega.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Me personally, I wouldnt have the t56 but would prefer a Tremec TKO600.

Those things are rated to 600lb ft. but some of the pump gas drags guys are putting out well over 1000hp and running those, wheels up.
Cmon....ya really only need one overdrive, not to mention the T56 is pretty heavy for a tranny thatll only handle 450lb ft stock.

If it wasnt for the price Id have a Jerico....but am really looking forward to a richmond 5 speed one day.

Im really more of a 1:1 fifth gear guy....I think things are a little stronger like that.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

I don't drag race

Postby vega_man_larry » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:21 am

Well since I don't dragrace (the nearest track is in San Antonio which is 2 hours from my house as I'm really a circle track guy) and since I've become addicted to the milage the double overdrive in my LT4 Corvette gets, I decided to put the ZF 6 speed in the Vega. The price of the transmission was better than any T56 currently on the market (most used T56s are $1K plus). I will get rid of the auto tranny which only has one overdrive and all the associated heat associated with a torque convertor.

The Corvette ZF transmission is more compact than the T56 and will be easier to get to fit. It is shorter, the shifter is located more forward, the bellhousing is shorter, and overall it probably will be easier to install than the T56. Plus it is lighter. I've been figuring out a mount. I don't need a torque arm so my design gears are figuring out how I want to install this tranny.

Larry
vega_man_larry

PreviousNext

Return to Best Of