T56 Retrofit Transmission

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

I think

Postby TurboMonzaTC » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:01 am

This should be a sticky thread some where....
-R
Hear R3's Coffin Tree Legacy at www.Myspace.com/R3sCoffinTreeLegacy
TurboMonzaTC

1979 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby ColinOpseth » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:37 am

I'll move this to the saved threads forum when it starts to slow down. :)
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby TimMcCabe » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:17 am

Larry,

If you are using the adaptor plate, you can use the TPI small block flyweel and clutch.. you will not need the LT1 style flywheel and pull type clutch.

My flywheel came off af a SBC truck, as long as you have the one with the small diameter bolt pattern (1 piece rear main seal style), you should be OK.

BTW,

I've seen some posts about guys using the LS1 T56 with the adaptor plate, something to do with the length of the input shaft and spline :?:

Cheers,

Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby greg72 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:42 am

I believe that if you went with a Mcleod hydraulic throw-out bearing , you could use the TPI flywheel as wheel as the T56 bellhousing and a regular push style clutch / pressure plate set up.

However I do understand your desire Larry to use as many stock parts as possible.

Thanks again Larry for tackling this job and keeping us posted. I am definitely on board with swapping out the 4spd in my Mirage to a 6 spd (jumping right over the 5 spd I was going to put in! :lol: )
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

6 speed transmission input shafts

Postby vega_man_larry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:47 am

Tim,

I also have found alot of traffic about the 6 speeds from LSX vehicles. That's why I want to use an LTX transmission. I figure the market for the LTX series may be waning and the prices for the LTX series trannys should be dropping, so the average H Body fan can finally afford a 6 speed. I also want to avoid the BIG bellhousing so the sheetmetal mods are not an issue, thats why I want to stick with the Monza bellhousing and cable clutch. I also posted the longer pilot bushing that Speedway motors sells so guys following me will know they need it to support the tranny input shaft if they elect to go the adapter plate route like I am.

I'll probably go with a TPI Camaro flywheel if I find a good one. Next week is Thanksgiving and I get Friday off so I'm heading to the San Antonio Pick and Pull http://www.picknpullsa.com/ to celebrate the holidays. All I want is a good flywheel.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Parts coming

Postby vega_man_larry » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:18 am

I'm following trackers on alot of parts now. I have coming a complete V8 Monza bellhousing and the late model ('76 thru '80)pedal assembly and clutch cable. It looks like I'll wind up with 3 throw out bearing forks and 2 clutch cables. It's what happens when you do package deals. I've even got the fork cover with rubber seal where the clutch spring comes out. It's nice that some parts between the 4 cylinder Vega and the V8 Monza are common.

All I need is a clutch spring and the dustcover for the bellhousing. It looks like this aftermarket Camaro unit for 1967 thru 1973 is the same as the Monza http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... ~~~A90~A81 I may need to modify where it meets the block as this one is for a 2 piece seal and I have a one piece seal engine.

I've made an offer to a guy on some 140 speed parts. If the deal goes through, my parts money will dry up for the month of December. I've still got a yen to do another hipo 140. So getting parts for the 6 speed will probably continue on into January (a one month schedule slide as we say at work). I'm planning on picking up a tranny in February and after I get the tranny and the adapter plate I'll pull the Vega apart one more time. I hope to have it all done by April.

Larry

Larry

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby bill1978v8 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:38 pm

good luck and take pictures to document the swap.

bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 pm

You can use a LS1-based LS1 transmission but you need to change the input shaft. It's longer because the clutch hydraulics are different (hydraulic throw out bearing).
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby OldsStarfire » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:46 pm

Can I ask this question? Why bother with all the complications of a 6 speed when a Tremec TKO 500 or 600 5 speed will bolt right in using the same clutch setup and has both manual and electronic speedo output for like $1,300 brand new?

Sorry - I had to ask.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby ColinOpseth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:04 am

Two answers: .5:1 6th gear and about $800 dollars less.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Why

Postby vega_man_larry » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:06 pm

Colin is thinking my way. I should score a 6 speed in the $500 range and I want 6th gear. I already have an overdrive automatic from a Buick GN in the car. So a 5 speed wouldn't help get me more gas milage. Last time I did PowerTour in 2005 I ran the car from Port Aransas, TX to Milwaukee, WI to Tallahassee, FL back to Port Aransas, TX. Mapquest has that trip at 3359 miles. We also went the long way on one stop and went to MidAmerica Corvettes which added additional miles, and the PowerTour route is usually not direct. They like to keep us on state highways (read the extra long way) so we can interact with the locals that we pass along the route. With all the running around finding hotels and venues and a few detours along the way (I took my daughter with me and we saw Hanibal, MO and did Mark Twain Caves on the way to Milwaukee) I'll bet we did nearly 4,000 miles in 2 weeks. For those who put a 1/4 mile a time on an H Body, that is a lifetime for their car. Getting the .5 to 1 transmission ratio should save me some significant gas money. PowerTour next year goes into Minnesota and I live ON the Gulf of Mexico so we'll be travelling border to border if we get to go. Currently I have 180 hours of vacation time accumilated. Now that we have 2 additional Manufacturing Engineers at work I should be able to get off for PowerTour.

Larry
Last edited by vega_man_larry on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
vega_man_larry

Postby OldsStarfire » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Yeah but it is not really an $800 savings with all the special clutch provisions and the electronic to mechanical speedometer conversion necessary unless you retrofit a late model dashboard.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby ColinOpseth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:57 pm

How so? Dakota Digital sells all of the modules required for less than $200.

I'm into my T56 for about $1200 including purchase of the transmission, bellhousing, resurfacing of the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and the transmission mount. All I need to buy now is a B&M shifter. That's way less than any Tremec transmission.

I am using the hydraulic clutch. I like the simplicity and the driveability of the hydraulic system. Running the exhaust will be tough but that's someone else's problem. :)

With the right firewall bracket the setup is cake to get running.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

I'm using a 10.5 inch clutch

Postby vega_man_larry » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:15 pm

OldsStarfire

I'm not using any special clutch setup. If you read thru the thread you'll see I'm using a 10.5 inch setup. No hydraulics either. I've been accumilating stock V8 Monza parts. I've got a 6 speed in my Corvette and I regularly pull down 30 mpg. With the lighter Vega I'm hoping to get 33 as that's a good number. I'm hitting the Pick-N-Pull on Friday as this is a budget setup. I hope my experience will interest more guy's in a 6 speed. With a 3.0 to 1 pumpkin in the Ford 9 inch I should keep the revs down to about a grand. It's all about the revs.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 am

Larry,
Try the forums on CamaroZ28.com
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

PreviousNext

Return to Best Of