s-10 ball joint any body got them figured out yet

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

s-10 ball joint any body got them figured out yet

Postby peterpan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 pm

i just spent about an hour reading posts on the s-10 ball joint swap and it seems like the lower shoud be moved inward 1/4 inch and i'm lost on the upper allmost all the threads on the s-10 ball joint swap have ended up in going with the adjustable upper arms

i figured out how to put the ball joints in but i'm not sure on there possition

i don't want to pony up the cash for the adjustable arms for my starfire i just plan to sell it so i want to keep the build costs down
and i think the s-10 swap can be done with good results

did i miss a thread or has no one finished it up yet
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:45 pm

I had the original holes in the upper control arm welded shut. I hogged out the original vega hole and put in S10 ball joints. Looks OK so far.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:54 pm

i got a good understanding how to put them in but i am not sure on where to put them :?

does the upper one need moved one way or the other and is the 1/4 inch inwared right for the lower ones
Last edited by peterpan on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:13 pm

I thought it was outward for the top and inward for the bottom. My alignment seems to be OK so I didn't stress about it much.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:19 pm

ya its probably easier than i'm thinking but i just don't want to ruin a set of deep pocket arms by welding them up just to find out they should of been moved one way or the other

and the top ones too but they are easier to get than the deep pocket arms so it wouldn't be to bad to ruin the top arms
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby v8astregt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:12 am

Out of all those threads, I could SWEAR I've answered this at least a few times. Someone needs to sticky it.

ANYWAYS, I do have the S10 conversion, with STOCK UCA's, and S10 upper balljoints. It's very simple. Just weld the bolt holes shut. The main hole is too small, so when you hog it out, just hog it back, and out towards the fender of the car... fixing the camber issue. 1 hour job, tops. Got it aligned with ZERO issues. Car handles fine at speed, straight as an arrow, and it's just as good braking.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am

with all the different threads they never really got a straight answer they all ended up talking about the adjustable upper arms

so to make it clear at least to me
the upper ball joint gets moved back and outward
the lower gets moved inward about a 1/4 inch

i don't imagine there is much room to move the top to far any idea how far you moved it each direction josh
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby v8astregt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 am

Just as far as I could move it and fit the balljoint in. If you get what I'm saying, the front/inner radius of the hole will be original. The outer/rearmost portion of the hole will be ground out, probably about 1/2" either way. I know camber was within 1/2*, and he was able to lean the spindle back for good caster... like I said, it's really good going down the track, even with a loose steering box.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:03 pm

ok its as clear as mud now :lol:
thanks i'll go get started
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby v8astregt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:07 pm

Got a top-view picture of a control arm w/o a balljoint installed?
v8astregt

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Josh, I think you've got an anomaly there. It is possible that it would work out without doing anything but most guys have had a problem with it.

I also set up a set of UCAs in the way you're talking about. I, not knowing about the difference in the BJ location, put mine here:

BAD IDEA! That exacerbated the problem in my case. You can see that I moved the UBJ back a little to add some more caster.

The facts are: that the S10 spindle has a different location for the lower BJ than the H-body. The centerline of the lower BJ stud retention hole is about 1/4" farther from the spindle location. SO the LBJ has to be moved inboard 1/4" to make up the difference.

Here's where I put the lower sleeve:

Here's where I SHOULD have put it:

I think Tom had the best idea: From a post in response to a thread I wrote about this very issue:

I appreciate the comments.... I started a thread some time ago about the S10 spindle swap without the negative camber.
I didn't really get as many replies that talked directly to a solution as I had hoped.

The negative camber issue (with junkyard S10 parts) is the only thing that the Dirtmod thread left out. I believe that if you do the same swap, but do the UBJ first, attach the spindle assembly and let it dictate the location of the LBJ in the LCA, the camber problem will go away. (You have to consider before and after ride height also).

I plan on doing this swap within the next couple of months: I'll verify your suggestions and will post a reply.

Tom
Last edited by NixVegaGT on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:22 pm

ok now no one bring up the adjustable uppers as a fix for this problem this thread is all about the stock arms with the s-10 ball joints

i know the adjustable arms will fix it but some people won't have the cash for them
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:23 pm

this is the best picture i got josh i think it was one of dirtmods pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:31 pm

I just edited my post. The LCA pix I put in will illustrate better what I'm trying to say.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:35 pm

so if the bottom goes in the 1/4 inch does the top still need to be moved

i was cutting up th s-10 a arm and it gave me a idea mixed with dirt mods lower control arm how he grafted the end over his and an old idea from bigwheelbigdeal back on v8monza he built plates to move it out and back

i took and cut out the upper balljoint hole basically the end of the upper control arm it could be welded on to move the ball joint out and back

i'm not sure what picture will show it best so here are the 3 i took
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Next

Return to Best Of