manual brake rod solution anyone?

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: manual brake rod solution anyone?

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:08 pm

The application is '76-'80 Monza, with or without power brakes NAPA number 39027.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 73astregt » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:33 pm

ok thanks chuck for the info on the monza master! oh and by the way russ(buscop) will be contacting you in the near future for a set of the adjustable upper arms. he goes to the same show and shine as i do and after seeing my arms and hearing my results he wants to get a set for his monza wagon he allready has the s10 spindals in his car so he will need the appropriate s10 ball joint plates on the arms.thanks again chuck! ill post results of my camaro manual master trial sometime in the next few days. ill be installing it tomorrow nite but ill have to see what the weather brings over the weekend for the test drive.(wipers not working, sucks driving in the rain without them lol)fred.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby Roccosvega » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Hey Chuck ,I wish I would of talked to you a long time ago I could have saved some money lol. Your not that far away I live in Mundelein.
Would like to check out your car some time and pic you brain while Im at it. I could use some of your knowledge. Robert.
Roccosvega

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:09 am

Fred, thanks for the kind words and recommendation!

Robert, the next car show I am planning to attend is in Hampshire, IL, on Sunday, August 9. I may make it to the car show at the Railroad Museum in Union, IL on August 2, but that will depend on how much I get done at home first. Come on out!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:53 pm

ok heres the skinny lol! i installed the camaro manual master tonite and rebled the brakes. man what a difference! now(just testing in the drive way) the car feels like i t will stop if the brakes are hammered on and the pedal feel is as good as it ever was with the stock setup. at this time i will give the manual master a big thumbs up .! im not shure how fussy people are(no offence intended) but this set up feels pretty darn good to me! ill do a road test tomorrow if its dry out and report my findings.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby 73astregt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm

ok heres my report a bit delayed but i was working on my wiper problem . ive driven the car a fair bit since doing the power to manual camaro master swap and in my opinion its a sucess! brake pedal feels good, maybe a bit firmer than stock(not much at all)and waayyy better then the power master. i found i have an axle seal seeping some fluid on the one rear brake so ill clean that up with brake clean and all will be good! thanks to all who posted thier help and experiences im a happy camper now with good brakes! fred.
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Great news, Fred. Thanks for reporting.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 73astregt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:19 am

bump, does anyone think the info here is worthy of the best of section?
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby BadBowtie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 am

[quote="73astregt"]bump, does anyone think the info here is worthy of the best of section?[/quote]

I think so, now i know where to find this post instead of cluttering my favourites even more! haha
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 am

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I thought the answer was pretty obvious. If you are using S10 front brakes, and S10 rear brakes, - why not just use the appropriate S10 master cylinder? But, I think there are both manual and power brake S10s out there ( at least in the 1980's). Do they use the same or different master cylinders? Can you get a power brake master cylinder and not use the power booster?
So far my 72 Vega is completely stock. I just bought some 2001 S10 Blazer dual piston front brakes. I'd like to get a S10 rear disc brake axle. So my thought is I want the S10 master cylinder for 4 wheel discs. Right? Will the S10 power booster fit? I don't care if it has power brakes or not. I see the newer (2001) master cylinders only have one hole to add fluid. Is that because of the proportioning valve? That brings up another point. Some S10s have a proprtioning valve, and some don't. WTF? Also, if I buy a new master cylinder , is it going to come with the rod?
Mark
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby olds70supreme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 am

"I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I thought the answer was pretty obvious. If you are using S10 front brakes, and S10 rear brakes, - why not just use the appropriate S10 master cylinder? But, I think there are both manual and power brake S10s out there ( at least in the 1980's). Do they use the same or different master cylinders? Can you get a power brake master cylinder and not use the power booster? "

Mark,

I've got the single piston S10 brakes (80's vintage) and thought the same as you, so I ordered an S10 non-power brake MC (the parts catalogues list two separate numbers for power and non-power brakes) and installed it. I admittedly have never driven a car w/o power brakes before, but the pedal seems very stiff. It stops the car and everything appears to be functioning, but it takes a LOT of leg power to do so. Also, it seems as though there is not very much stroke to the pedal. This is a head scratcher as I assumed that the matched S10 components would work well together, the only thing I can think of is that I was actually given a power brake MC, which means the bore is larger than it should be. After having the winter months to think about it and seeing this thread I have an itch to try the same master as Fred (73astregt).

Fred,

I read through the posts and would like to be certain of the MC that you have used successfully: Is it a late 70's Camaro MC for non-power brake applications? If not please correct me. Also, a part # and brand would be awesome when you have the time to post.

Thanks.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby Rickracer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Normally, power brake actuator rods attach to the brake pedal at a lower point than manual brake rods, so you have less mechanical advantage or leverage. Some pedals have places for both to attach, some don't.
olds70supreme, it sounds like you need to attach the rod a little higher up on the brake pedal arm, if there isn't a place already there for it, it's normally about an inch or 1 1/4" above the power brake attaching point. This will give you more leverage and more power to stop with a given amount of pressure on the pedal.
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby olds70supreme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 am

Rickracer:

There were two holes existing in the stock brake pedal arm. I am using the higher of the two (to give the brake pedal more mechanical advantage when pushing). However, jusr from memory I don't believe it is as much as 1.25" higher than the other hole. To be honest it never occurred to me, but I could drill a new hole higher up on the pedal arm. I'll have to look at that when I get a chance to see if that is possible. It would be really nice to be able to find a manual brake S10 and measure the distance from the brake pedal pad (where your foot pushes) to the mounting hole. That way if I did drill a new hole in the Starfire pedal arm it would be done right the first time. I don't really want to end up with a swiss cheesed arm trying to get the right feel.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby gotmud7 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:00 pm

If you are going to measure for a new hole in the brake arm, I believe you would want to measure DOWN from the pivot point. Not up from the brake pedal. Mark
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby olds70supreme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm

I don't have much hope that I will be able to find one to measure. I have looked before and nobody I know has one. I have looked in junkyards local to me but they all have power brakes. I wonder if anybody on this board has one or knows of one they could measure?
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

PreviousNext

Return to Best Of