Header Selection Info

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Header Selection Info

Postby Bob Gumm » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:04 pm

There have been a lot of questions regarding header selection. In my opinion, header selection depends on your engines needs and your preferences. I have more info on my web site covering these headers. Also, except for the big-block headers and the Stahl small-block race headers which require rerouting of the steering shaft, all of the headers have one tube (#1) that goes over (around) the steering column. Here is a brief synopsis...

Small-Block Chevy V-8 Headers
Sanderson CC13 (shorty headers)
Specifications: 1-1/2" Primaries with 2-1/2" Collectors
Pros: Very low-cost, no road clearance issues, not too difficult to install, no tubes pass through the fender wells, have a thicker flange (no warping = no leaks). Highest quality!
Cons: Small primaries, steering column must be removed and reinstalled, not a full-length header.
Notes: Best suited for mild engines, available with ceramic coating (recommended). They are so inexpensive that if you bought two sets it would still cost less than almost every header on this list.

Hooker 2135
Specifications: 1-1/2" Primaries with 2-1/2" Collectors (some don't have collectors; you weld the exhaust directly to the header).
Pros: Medium-cost, full-length header, no tubes pass through the fender wells, not too difficult to install.
Cons: Small primaries, possible road clearance issues.
Notes: Best suited for mild engines, add a "0" in front of the part number to accommodate air-injection manifold.

Stahl 124
Specifications: 1-5/8" Primaries with 2-1/2" Collectors
Pros: Medium primaries - great for those high performance needs, unrestricted flow, no tubes pass through the fender wells.
Cons: Very high-cost, car may require modification for clearance, possible road clearance issues.
Notes: Best suited for mild street-strip car if you don't mind the high-cost.

Don Hardy
Specifications: 1-5/8" Primaries with 3" Collectors
Pros: Next lowest cost, medium primaries - great for those high performance needs, less-restricted flow, not too difficult to install, no tubes pass through the fender wells, have been used with factory V8 Monza mounts with no interference issues.
Cons: Possible road clearance issues, collectors kick out at an angle towards the doors (this is actually good for strip cars).
Notes: Best suited for performance engines.

Hedman Hedders 68330 & 68340
Specifications: 1-5/8" Primaries with 3" Collectors
Pros: Medium-cost, medium primaries - great for those high performance needs, less-restricted flow, not too difficult to install.
Cons: Engine must use front engine mount plate, tubes #7 & #8 pass through fender well (may inhibit turning radius), possible road clearance issues.
Notes: Best suited for high-performance engines, very similar to the Hooker 2129 headers except the primaries are smaller.

Hooker 2129
Specifications: 1-3/4" Primaries with 3" Collectors
Pros: Bigger primaries - great for those high horsepower needs, less-restricted flow.
Cons: High-cost, engine must use front engine mount plate, crossmember requires modification to clear passenger side header, tubes #7 & #8 pass through fender well (may inhibit turning radius), possible road clearance issues.
Notes: Best suited for high-performance engines.

Stahl 123
Specifications: 1-7/8" Primaries with 3" Collectors
Pros: Huge primaries - great for those high horsepower needs, unrestricted flow, no tubes pass through the fender wells.
Cons: Very high-cost, car likely requires modification for clearance, steering shaft must be rerouted.
Notes: Best suited for pro-street or race-only car if you don't mind the high-cost.

Big-Block Chevy V-8 Headers
Hooker 2240
Specifications: 2-1/8" Primaries with 3-1/2" Collectors
Pros: Huge primaries - great for those high horsepower needs, less-restricted flow.
Cons: High-cost, engine must use front engine mount plate, steering shaft must be rerouted, tubes #6 & #8 pass through fender well (may inhibit turning radius), possible road clearance issues.
Notes: Best suited for pro-street or race-only car.

Stahl 224
Specifications: 2-?" Primaries with 3-?" Collectors
Pros: Huge primaries - great for those high horsepower needs, unrestricted flow, no tubes pass through the fender wells.
Cons: Very high-cost, car likely requires high degree of modification for clearance and front engine mount plate, steering shaft must be rerouted, possible road clearance issues.
Notes: Best suited for pro-street or race-only car if you don't mind the high-cost.
Last edited by Bob Gumm on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Re: Header Selection Info

Postby ROB » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Great info Bob! Thanks!
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby spencerforhire » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:52 am

Bob- great to see all this info gathered together on one page; I feel a "sticky" is in order.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Bob Gumm » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 pm

bump - How about one of the moderators stickying this?
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby Monza fan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Good info for sure, do these headers give any more access to the spark plugs than the original "logs"?
1976 Monza 2+2
1965 Cobra Replica (FFR)
1992 Mustang LX Coupe
1997 Chevy S10 Semi Custom
+ Daily drivers
Monza fan

Postby v8astregt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Monza fan wrote:Good info for sure, do these headers give any more access to the spark plugs than the original "logs"?

I know I can do the plugs on a Sanderson header setup within an hour. I don't think the 2129's are really any harder to get at as I've only done them once, but they don't stick out in my head as being a royal pain. But then again, after the plugs in my 98 Trans Am, there aren't many cars that are harder to do!
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Bob Gumm » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 pm

From my experience, you couldn't really "see" the spark plugs on the driver's side with the factory exhaust manifolds. With all the headers I've used, all spark plug changes were easier with the headers and a royal pain with the factory manifolds.
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby mrj52 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks!! All my questions as far as header selection are concerned have been answered. TIM
1977 Buick Skyhawk-----Under modification
mrj52

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Bob Gumm » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 am

I would like to add that on a SBC using "angle-plug" heads the #3 spark plug will aim right at the uniwiggle of the steering column requiring you to unbolt and jack up the driver's side of the engine just to remove it. I'm even using shorty "header" plugs.
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby steponmebbbboom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 am

hi Bob, which head design would you consider to be the most easily serviced using the sanderson headers? I was considering going for angle plug heads until now. Thanks.
Proud Monza owner since December 3rd, 1990
steponmebbbboom

Postby Bob Gumm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 am

I have limited experience with heads in that I've only used GM castingss (882, 186, 462, etc) and Canfield aluminum heads. I like the angle plug heads even with the #3 issue as mentioned above, and prefer aluminum heads as they handle higher compression than cast iron heads before detonation sets in and they are repairable whereas cast iron heads cost more to repair than the heads are usually worth. As for which manufacturer I would recommend, I would say it depends on how deep your pockets are and what your goals are. I would ask others what they have used and what kind of customer service they received if they needed the manufacturer's assistance.
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby Bob Gumm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:01 am

I also have a set of ProComp aluminum Big Block heads (they came with an engine I bought) and I'm not very impressed.
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby meangreen73vega » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Soooo how would a guy up here in the great white north, get a set of Don Hardy headers? They seem to be what I'm looking for but can't get. Please help....
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Bob Gumm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:12 pm

DH says check again on 1-November, if they have them I'll post it here so folks can start ordering. I have one paid pre-order so far.

Thanks,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby meangreen73vega » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Okay, so can you send me the shipping and prepay info, so I can break the budget...lol :th:
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Next

Return to Best Of