Coil springs installation idea..

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Coil springs installation idea..

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am

by megavega ยป Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 am

they take the spring and put it in a hyd press, it has like a cup on each end, they compress the spring a few inchs down, then they use metal banding material and place 2 bands on each spring. It is placed about 1-2 coils from the ends , so after you cut them you can remove them otherwise the top and bottom coils will pinch the banding.. This shortens up the springs a few inchs and they will drop right in. You just place the springs ends to the recess in the control arm and upper spring mount and then bolt up your balljoints. Then just take a pair of tin snips and cut the bands, remove banding. Super simple and like I said it only takes about 5 mins a side to do.

next time call your local spring shop, like truck and trailer springs,etc. thats who does it for me.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Re: Coil springs installation idea..

Postby H-Parts » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:21 pm

HOLY COW !

That is a FANTASTIC Trick !
H-Parts

Postby nutt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 am

You still have to be careful, as the spring is spiral wound and the straps could still shift under load and release the spring. I've tried something similar but needed to attach vise grips so the strap wouldn't shift.
nutt

Postby CaptainPainn » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 pm

I've done the same thing with a compressor and a bit of chain. Slightly more work but it doesn't cost anything.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby sparksfl1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I've changed lot's of H body front coil springs, seems like the tricky part is getting the bottom of the spring to snap into the lower A arm cup, I use an old tilt column lower shaft to reach through the spring, (see pics) pushing down arches the spring so it snaps into the A arm cup very fast and safe. Be sure shock mounting nuts are removed from A arm so they are not damaged.[attachment=1]IMG_1503 small.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_1504 small.JPG[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparksfl1

Postby ewward31 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:21 pm

I've done the same thing using rented spring compressors and strong wire like old metal coat hangers and tied them in 3 or for places for extra security. Same procedure and works like a snap.
ewward31

Postby 3Hz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 am

nice tip. will take note of that
3Hz

Return to Best Of