Buick 231 Odd-Fire Freeze plug replacement

Moderator: Moderators

Buick 231 Odd-Fire Freeze plug replacement

Postby Rickard0 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:57 am

What is the easiest way to insert a driver's side freeze plug on a 77 Skyhawk 231 odd-fire engine?
Engine is in the car, I was able to loose a few manifold bolts so not rusted badly. I am looking for easiest (and not expensive). I know I have to remove the manifold, but do I need to remove the steering column? Is there an easy way to do that? Do I need to undo driver's side motor mount then jack up engine? I am looking for some knowledge. Thanks in advance.
Rickard0

Re: Buick 231 Odd-Fire Freeze plug replacement

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:00 pm

Rickardo, I haven't done that job on any H-Body, but if you do the motor mount thing, I would undo both! I wouldn't twist these too much as they are OLD and somewhat hard to find/replace (V8's anyway?). I would think that lifting wouldn't make it harder, but may not help at all IDK, steering shaft R&R may make access easier [might get away with at the column only?]. Let's wait and see if someone else chimes in. If not take a look see and go from there. Best of luck! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Rickard0 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:46 pm

Wanted to provide an update. I removed the steering column between steering box and rag joint. I then removed the exhaust manifod. I was able to get the plug in but at a slight angle, so would have to try and getting it straighter. Regardless I filled it up with water.... and the engine block is cracked.

I inquired on FB about instructions for an LS swap, but it appears to be not realistic with my skill set or finances. Looks like I will be going the SBC 350 direction. One guy said he is pulling a 231 odd fire this weekend, but its well over 9 hour drive in one direction and work will prevent me from doing any road trips for the next month or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZKPjrs93o
Rickard0

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:15 pm

RicardO where are you located at. Update your user data to include that and you may find a 3.8 for free! Ok that isn't a V8 but just a thought. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Engine Tech