H-BODY SMALL FLEXPLATE/FLYWHEEL COMBO REPLACEMENT OR KEEP

Moderator: Moderators

H-BODY SMALL FLEXPLATE/FLYWHEEL COMBO REPLACEMENT OR KEEP

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:07 am

:?: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE MONZA 262/305 V8 AUTOMATIC TRANS SMALL FLEXPLATE/FLYWHEEL,WITH THE MATCHING STARTER COMBO,,,,,,, SEEMS THAT THE LESS TEETH ORIGINAL,,, WOULD SPIN UP FASTER IN THE ORIGINAL SET UP,,,,,AND A LARGER WOULD SPIN UP SLOWER WITH MORE TORQUE,,,,, :roll: CAN THE LARGER FLEXPLATE/FLYWHEEL AND MATCHING STARTER BE USED ON THE 350 CI ENGINE ON THE SWAP OF A 350 MATED TO THE STOCK AUTOMATIC TRANS OUT OF MY 75 MONZA'S FACTORY V8 AUTO I PLAN A 7004R OVER DRIVE UNIT TO REPLACE THE OLDER TRANS,,,, MIKE YOUR COMMENT'S AND EXPERIANCE'S WOULD BE WELCOMED,,,,,MIKE
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:55 am

Mike, I am not a "automatic" guy, but I don't think a larger flywheel will fit. At least that is the case with a manual flywheel. Things are so tight in this chassis, why do you want to go with the larger setup?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:03 pm

CLYDE;THE WELL WORN VETERAN 262 V8 IS OUT,,, :D I WILL PUT IT IN SHORT FORM;ON WASHING UP THE GREASY 30+STARTER I NOTICED A MODIFICATION THAT HAD BEEN PERFORMED ON THE STARTERS NOSE PIECE,,,,, :shock: I WAS WRONG!!!! THE WALL WAS MISSING A CHUNK,,. IT HAD BEEN DROPPED IN A PREVEOUS, INSTALATION OR BROKEN BY A OBJECT ROCK PICKED UP BY THE FLYWHEEL????THE DUST COVER UNDER THE TRANS WAS STIIL THERE BUT A SLIT WAS OPENED IN THE SHEET MEDAL AND GRAVEL IN BOTTOM WAS FOUND,,,, :shock: THE STARTER WORKED PERFECT,,, BUT TO BE ON SAFE SIDE I NOW HAVE A BLOCK WITH TWO HOLE PATTERN'S AND A STARTER OUT OF A PART'S BLAZER WITH THE FLYWHEEL TO MATCH WITH THE NEW ENGINE 350 CI,,,, PLANS ARE EVENTUALY TO INSTALL A 700/4 R WITH THE UPGRADE I WILL KEEP EVERY THING ELSE TILL LATER,,,THE HOLLOW CROSS MEMBER UNDER THE MOTOR HAD P-GRAVEL PACKED IN THE HOLLOW SPACE,,,,I WAS OUT WASHING WITH THE PRESSURE WASHER AND GONE TO THE PARTSTORE WHEN I CAME BACK TO CHECK THE POST FOR ANY POINTER'S,,,, MY MIRRAGE WITH A 4 SPEED IS ON HOLD TILL I GET THIS OUT OF THE WAY,,, AND I WILL GET THE BUG TO ASK FOR SOME HELP ON SIMILLAR UPGRADE'S LIKE YOUR'S,, THANK'S FOR ASKING AND YOUR HELP ;MIKE 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

flywheel

Postby danfigg » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:53 am

Its been a while but the large flywheel/flexplate is a 168 tooth and uses a starter which has a different bolt pattern as the Small flywheel/fleplate 153 tooth and starter combo. I have a turbo 350 in my monza and use a large flywheel/flexplate with the correct starter. As far as the standard trans and using a large flywheel, it wont happen. The bell housing is to small. When I put a 400 small block in I had to custom balance the small flywheel for the external balance of the 400. Also The bolt hole for the small fly wheel on some engine blocks are not drilled out. I learned this the hard way. I had the motor in the car and when I went to mount up the starter, there was no bolt hole. I had to drill it out the hole and tap it. -----------------------Danny
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Re: flywheel

Postby zeke » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:18 pm

danfigg wrote:When I put a 400 small block in I had to custom balance the small flywheel for the external balance of the 400.

There's an issue I hadnt thought of! :shock: Machine shop job for that? Expensive?
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

flywheel

Postby danfigg » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:11 am

69 350 flywheel 153 tooth 90.00 balance job 40.00 total 130.00. But it was awhile ago. If you already have a flywheel im sure the balance job would be about 80 bucks. Also they sell a balancer that bolts to the crank which balances the small flex plate for the external balance 400sma block.----danny
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Re: flywheel

Postby SunbirdMan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 am

zeke wrote:
danfigg wrote:When I put a 400 small block in I had to custom balance the small flywheel for the external balance of the 400.

There's an issue I hadnt thought of! :shock: Machine shop job for that? Expensive?

zeke, You can buy a bolt-on balance plate for $12.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby MIKESMONZA » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:57 pm

THANK'S FOR THE INFO; MY REPLACEMENT ENGINE 350 CID 69-79 CAME OUT OF A JAG/CONVERSON IN A LATER MODEL HAD RECENTLY REBUILT,, FOR THE SWAP CAME WITH A LARGE HARMONIC BALNCER ON THE FRONT OF CRANK AND A LARGE A/T TRANMISION FLYWHEEL ON THE CRANK REAR,,, AND HAS TWO SET'S OF STARTER HOLE'S DRILLED AND TAPPED INTO THE BLOCK'S STARTER LOCATION PAD I ADDED A HEAT SHIELD AND A STARTER MODIFICATION SHUNT,,,AND A SHORT DOUBLE EYE CABLE TO RUN THE WIRE AROUND THE RT SIDE PASS HEAD TO THE FIRE WALL,,, WILL BE CLEARANCING THE PASSENGER RIGHT FENDERWELL NEAR THE SHOCK HOLE FOR THE SANDERSONS SC-13 THANK'S TO THE PICTURE THAT I FOUND IN THE HEADERS POST POST LAST 2 WEEK'S,,,,, THE HEADER'S STILL HAVE NOT ARRIVED I AM SHOPPING FOR THE 700R4 THAT WILL BE ANOTHER REPOST COMMING UP
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Engine Tech