Weber Carb Setup

Moderator: Moderators

Weber Carb Setup

Postby EagleFish » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 pm

Well, it just arrived today and it is setting on my living room floor. I bought a brand new Weber carburetor setup from Hutton Motor Engineering (HME) complete with intake, linkage, air cleaner and installation parts. In other words, a bolt-on kit. This will complete my Cosworth Vega restoration project. I am eliminating the EFI system in favor of the carb setup. It is so sweet! >D
These carbs are almost all gone as their manufacture is discontinued. HME had to get the carbs out of Spain. The whole setup cost with shipping to my house was $1325.00. It will be a while until I get the setup installed and running. But, I can hardly wait!

I completed some work on my 79 Spyder. The 305 engine smoked, used a lot oil and didn't perform all that well. I removed the valve covers and found a lot of sludge built up preventing the oil from draining back to the crankcase quickly. I rodded out all of the drain back holes pulling most of the sludge back out, changed the oil and filter. Now it doesn't smoke or blow out oil. It idles smoothly, even with the a/c on and it runs much better over all.

I am very hbody happy! :D

Richard (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:59 am

nice..
Shoot some pics of those carbs.. I want to see :)

How much trouble did the Cosworth EFI give you? Don't these use similar injectors to a Porsche? I wonder if it would be possible to somehow tune a Cosworth engine using half of a newer harness.. or maybe a Honda harness or something..

later,
colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby djv8ga » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:27 am

Wow...That's a trip. I had no idea you could still get a setup like that.
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:15 am

I think that guy Chris who collects Cosworth Vegas likes to use the Weber carb setup on his Cosworth DOHC engines.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Cosworth Weber Setup

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:05 pm

I too think the Weber setup for a Cosworth looks very wicked. It also is easier to tune as you eliminate alot of the hassles of the old FI setup which is getting hard to find parts for anyway. You need to be very versed in Cosworth particulars when you run FI (which you are) but I still thin Webers are the best deal. Congrats on getting the Webers. I've seen them mounted on a Cosworth and they look very fine. I think GM stuck their neck out too far on the 8 bit FI system, as it had a lot of tuning and teething problems and was just too complicated. Also the electrical connections weren't up to par, and that was the main culprit - electrical connection corrosion, that made Cosworth FI a pain in the ohm meter (remember this was pre weatherpack connections all you youngsters). Too bad GM had to meet the new emissions requirements, as that's what really did in the Cosworth. The new standards were just too hard to meet with the technology available. They killed alot of power trying to meet emissions. The rest is history.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Return to Engine Tech