76 Skyhawk V-6 Oddfire Distributor Install

Moderator: Moderators

76 Skyhawk V-6 Oddfire Distributor Install

Postby cos1776 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:44 am

Recently acquired a Skyhawk that the former owner started an install of a new timing chain. He has the chain and sprockets correctly installed, and I am in the process of installing the remainder of the front of the motor. My problem is that I do not know which post of the distributor is for the #1 plug. The former owner didn't mark anything and the manual doesn't seem to tell. I think I need to know this so I can install the distributor in the correct position. Can anyone enlighten me. Also, does the rotor spin clockwise or counter clockwise? These might be simple questions, but I have no experience with these engines at all. Thanks for your help.

John
cos1776

Postby cammerjeff » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:30 pm

On my even fire 78 V-6, the rotor spins clockwise when looking at it from the top. And the #1 spark plug wire is the one just to the Left of the wiring hook ups on the Dist cap.
I believe it is the same on an odd fire, but I have never actually worked on one.
And why you have the cover off, tripple check the timing gear install!!!!!! I messed mine up this spring and kinda ruined my summer chasing a self induced problem!!!
Good luck with it.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby vswv8 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:32 pm

a little late maybe but....one of the best oddfire links to be had...

http://home.off-road.com/~merls_garage/oddfire.html
vswv8

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby cos1776 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:34 pm

Your reply is not late and very helpful. Now I have another dilemma with this motor. In trying to put the timing cover on, it seems that the camshaft is sticking out about 1/2" too far in order to accomodate the thrust button that is shown as needed in the Buick manual. Everything appears to be installed correctly. The timing gear, fuel pump etcentric and distributor gear all go on the shaft and end up flush with the end of the shaft., which is about 2 1/2" out from the face of the block with the bolt in place and torqued down. The timing cover has about 2 3/4" of depth with the gasket in place to accomodate the length of the camshaft, thus, no room for the thrust button. Every machine shop I have called locally says they have always seen the button on the end of the camshaft.
Now, to further add to the mystery, I called the previous owner who actually dismantled the front of the motor and asked him about all this and he said he doesn't remember there being a thrust button on the end of the camshaft when he took it apart. He says the button that came with the car when I got it from him came with the timing set he bought for the car. Now he did this over ten years ago, and he won't absolutely swear to it , but his memory of it is that there was no thrust button. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is not, then what is causing the shaft to be out too far?

John
cos1776

Update on Timing cover install

Postby cos1776 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:52 pm

My research on my dilemma has led me to find out that the thrust button that all of the parts stores are selling me is incorrect, even though they are listed as fitting the oddfire V-6. The camshaft is in the correct position. A friend of mine remembered what the correct button and spring looked like, and Clyde Biagi has been able to locate the correct NOS parts for me. As soon as I get the parts, I can proceed with putting the motor back together. :D
cos1776

Return to Engine Tech