Vega Operating temperatures? Is 210 too high?

Moderator: Moderators

Vega Operating temperatures? Is 210 too high?

Postby straws » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:10 pm

I finally took my Vega out for about an hour the other day. I experienced what I would call a vapor lock. At least that is what I think. I would go somewhere, then turn it off to chat. It would be very hard to start, then after rolling away from a stop, it acted like it was starving for fuel. If I was rolling fast enough, I could pump the gas feverishly to get it to sputter, then it would be ok.

The mechanical temp gauge reads a constant 210 once it is all warmed up. My dad recommended that I put a cool can on the fuel lines. Right now I have a Monza radiator, with the upper hose a little too high for my taste ( may cause big air bubble if I were to guess).

Any suggestions?
straws

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:34 pm

Aside from vapor lock. I like to run around 180º. You'll get better emission control at 210º but I like having the margin there. One of the trix I used on my turbo car was to drill an 1/8 inch hole in the thermostat plate. I was a little hyper about temp for that car though.

OK onto the vapor lock or also known as heat soak condition. I've heard of guys wrapping the fuel line to keep it cool. I guess reducing the operating temp might reduce the soak like you were thinking.

How does a cool can work?
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:55 pm

A cool can has a series of coils that are inside of a can. The idea is to throw ice in the can to keep the fuel cool. Great for a race car, not too practical on the street. You should definetely try insulating the fuel lines. I also used the vapor line to the canister as a return line. I use a fuel filter from a mid 80's Chrysler K car (I think) which has a provision for a return line to be connected. I have the filter installed close to the carb and with a small amount of fuel constantly being recirculated back to the tank it keeps the fuel from sitting in the line too long picking up heat. I have been using this system for over 25 years. The fuel filter has a very small orfice which meters a small amount of fuel back to the tank. A constant 210 is probably a little higher than you'd like to see on these cars, what is the outside temp when it is running this warm?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby straws » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:12 pm

YES I agree with the small hole drilled into the thermostat itself. I usedto do that when I worked fleet operatons at the Post Office. However, the Monza radiator hose sits really high above the water neck and the radiator cap. I went to Matt Johnson Performance in St. Louis, and saw a "radiator cap housing" that is cut into the upper radiator hose, to ensure that the highest point on the cooing system is where it is filled. I may go with that in addition to putting the lowest thermostat temperature setting, a cool can, and drilling a hole into the thermostat. I think the multi-facet approach can only do good things.

Any thoughts?
straws

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:31 am

As long as you use a closed coolant system with a coolant recovery bottle I don't think you will need any special hose or additional cap. It really does a good job of purging any air out of the system. That's how every other V8 Monza is, it should work for you.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Clyde,

Good idea about using that Mopar filter! I'm going to do that for certain. Thanks man.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby MB77Monza » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:57 pm

Clyde I just switched to a filter setup like you have. When I had the vapor can hooked up the fuel cap would just unscrew very easy. With the filter like yours it seems the tank is forming a vacuum and the cap is a real pain to twist loose. The car runs fine, have you noticed the same thing?
MB77Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:12 pm

I removed the fuel inlet pipe and drilled a tiny little hole right below the gas cap to act as a vent. I used one of the tinyest drill bits that I had to avoid getting any dirt in the tank. If standing on the side of the car facing the gas cap I drilled it at about the 1 o'clock position so it is also out of the way of any dirt kicked up from the tire. You could also modify the gas cap but that's just how I did it.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Engine Tech